Fungus in eggs 🥚

Hi 

I’m having trouble with some eggs getting fungus even when are head and tail so not just an egg usually I have no problem when there’s at this stage but 

I’m having trouble with my gold harbour monkey bay some females are holding to free swimming fry and the one I stripped before 3weeks holding and put in tumble get fungal some live 

the thing is should I be letting the females hold the 3weeks or I’m I stripping to soon 

thanks Abe 

FB1D2EAA-D32B-4FC1-B950-475EECC55064.jpeg

Edited by Blue yonder

@Link2Hell 

thanks for the tip 

the thing is I’ve got the tumbler in main tank so I might have to set up a 2ft egg tumbler tank and try what you suggested 

I’ve breed a couple of fish in my time but have never come across this problem when at 2weeks old most of the time once they are head’s and tails on the egg no problem but with these are having problems 

thanks again 

On 5/8/2023 at 10:49 PM, Blue yonder said:

@Link2Hell 

thanks for the tip 

the thing is I’ve got the tumbler in main tank so I might have to set up a 2ft egg tumbler tank and try what you suggested 

I’ve breed a couple of fish in my time but have never come across this problem when at 2weeks old most of the time once they are head’s and tails on the egg no problem but with these are having problems 

thanks again 

Is it possible that the eggs that are getting fungus haven't been fertilized?

• Like 1

Some suggestions below for you, pick whichever you think might suit you:

* Light acriflavine to inhibit fungus. Much more effective than Methylene Blue. Do keep light off eggs. 

* UV filter on hatching tank if you have one

* Slight increase in temperature to boost egg development speed, this needs to be balanced against increased bacterial growth but fungus is less temperature dependent 

* Spawn other fish about 5-10 days ahead. These fish will be heads & tails (more developed) and can be added to your incubator to safely "stir and kick"your delicate eggs. Egg movement prevents fungus growth and fungus spread. There are lots of easy to spawn species and hopefully your experienced enough to spawn what your really after on que. 

* The spherical based upwelling incubators like zoug jars or Ziess are gentler on eggs. This becomes more important on very delicate eggs or larger eggs - frontosa, arowana, etc. 

* split your eggs into multiple incubators to decrease fungal spread. 

• Like 3

Shrimp won't turn eggs over unfortunately. The embryo membranes will stick to the outer unless the egg is rotated, much like a bird egg. 

If your getting fungus after hatching, your incubators may be damaging. If your using plastic tea strainers, give them a good sandpaper with 800 grit wet - dry. 

For high value species, I usually rob eggs at 3 days. This is a very delicate stage, lots can go wrong but if you get it right you can get very productivity and learn quite a lot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey people 

just thought I’d give an update on the monkey bay 

it’s looking like I’ve got no fungus in my last batch are about ready to move in to there grow out tank 

this time I used a bigger ziss tumbler and moved in to a lower light area and all looks good so far I’ll keep you posted with progress 

thanks again Abe 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

That cherry shrimp technique is a winner as Chris mentioned and looks cool having a colony of little egg maintenance guys that clean the eggs for you..Nice to hear you did get a batch Abe and good luck with the little monkeys 🤙

• 2 weeks later...

Update on monkey bay I’ve managed to get about 20 to live out of 30 it seems that the young fry needs live food to survive the young stage of life as they are still young and need of a good supply of nutrients that I’m not offering 

in the future I’m hoping to offer lots of nutrients foods as as I should and see how I go 

anyways hopefully you’re feeding your feeding fish a veritable diet and 

keep it simple 

thanks Abe 

• Like 1