EOI: Lake Malawi

Nigel

I have not worked out a price yet that will depend on how many people wont them. This is just to see if there is interest. As for size that varies from small to large. Thay are sold in The US and Europe for breeding shell dwelling chichlids so thats what i would bring them for. I think it would be better to use these rather than sea shells but thats just my opinon.

I have heaps of shells already Nigel, gathered over the years, for use with my shellies. Most of these have been gotten for only the cost of bending over and picking them up.

Obviously, if yours are being collected by others (admittidly a small cost being as they are coming from Africa), sent to Europe then to Oz, there are going to be some on costs. Not to mention the profit you MUST make on them to make it worth your while.

I don’t really see any problems using shells whose origin is salt water, provided one is using shells that has a similar structure to the ones in the lake. It was good to see the photo you provided Nigel. It would be interesting to put your shells in with some ocean shells with similar structure together, and see which ones the fish prefer. If the fish is happy with a shell from the ocean, who is to argue with that?

Where are your shells coming from, Malawi or Tangankyka?

So as to your question Nigel, “how much am I willing to pay?”, as little as possible providing you make it worth your while. Then I’ll have to compare that cost with the advantage of having shells that are sourced from the ocean here in Australia, and shells that have come from Africa.

Craig

Hi Nigel

I would also be interested in some, please add me to your list,

together with the pair of Craigs.........lol

Warren.

I'm also interested but also share craig's feelings.

My shellies do just fine in free shells so your price would need to be very reasonable smile.gif

I have added another photo with the other ones. It will show you the approxamate sizes thay will be. To help me come to a price what would you pay for a sea shell or other type of shell of equivalent size. This will help me to come up with a fair price.

Craig, I added a comment here in retaught to yours, but decided to delete it before the mods did so to my post. I’ll leave it to your imagination as to what I wrote originally.... huh.gif

Nigel, what ever you price the shells for, is totally up to you. However, I have heaps from the ocean, but would be interested to hear your final price. In regards to how much you sell them for, as I said it is TOTALLY your business, but I believe you price should be your cost, plus a bit of profit, and not;

"To help me come to a price what would you pay for a sea shell or other type of shell of equivalent size. This will help me to come up with a fair price. "

I believe a fair price has to be based on what it costs to land them in Australia. It may work out that it is not economical to bring them in if one compares them to one sourced locally. Having said that I have bought them for a dollar or two from local shops in the past.

Your shells I would think need to be sold at a medium and large size to reflect the costs of moving a heavier weight too.

I knew I say "Malawi" written somwhere, went searching for it when I was writting my previous post but couldn't find it. I diidn't check back in the heading.

Mr. Serious blush.gif

what would you pay for a sea shell or other type of shell of equivalent size

Nothing, where possible. My shells have been found for free by myself or friends, or bought very cheaply if need be.

I'm never inclined to pay big dollars for something which can be found lying around and doesn't even need to be hunted tongue.gif

Thanks everyone for the replys. When i have more shells here i will make a decission on price. This post was just to see if there would be interest as thay will take up space in the shipping boxes. So if there was no interest i would not bring them because i will have to pay freight on them. I just thought it would be something different and like i said in my opinion better than sea shells.

Archived