garage fish room build

markfnq

slowly getting a few things done in the garage to prepare for the racking. couldnt find any decent racking second hand so was forced to buy new .ouch $$$! pick it up this week. two bays fit nice on that wall. vents are in eves ,garage door insulated and about to add another layer of insulation in garage ceiling. made a fair few changes with things. i would of liked to have a large sump on the other wall at the left end but considering dropping one of the four footers on the floor and make it the sump. need to make final decisions on changes soon so i can finalize tank order .found a guy in townsville that will do them but alot dearer than brisbane even allowing transport costs but at least they will all arrive in one piece . i intend to run air on all tanks i need it on the three footers so might as well do the fours. any tips on air pump and loop line placement? just waiting on a cool night to place insulation................ cheers mark

scan0001.jpg

P1050006640x480-1.jpg

P1050012.jpg

after

P1050015.jpg

P1050017.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi ,

picked up and assembled rack. managed to get some cheap ply from someone at work .pity i couldnt say that about the racking !! the beams work in increments of 75mm so to keep top tanks accessible as far as height goes the gap above the tanks is a little tight ,not too bad but i would of preferred a little more. still flipping ideas around as far as tank configuration i would of liked to have had a large sump at the far end where the tank is but i will eventually put a short rack of three footers there so i will probably take out a piece of ply and have the sump on the floor and will more than likely plumb some of the three footers into the system to make it worth while. put the extra layer of insulation in the roof this afternoon !! gee that was fun.

cheers ......... mark

P1050032.jpg

Mark it is taking shape nicely.

It is a catch 22 when it comes to fitting in racks in a standard ceiling height. You end up compromising between the gap between tanks to ensure that you have enough rows to make it worth while.

hi, few pics of where some of the future residents reside . love my over head trickle filters cheap and very efficient . playing around with some lighting today

just going to use fluro battons thinking of trying to get away with one light for 2 three footers and have one each on the fours. this may sound a bit dumb but do you think if i paint the underside of the ply white will it throw a bit more light ? cheers mark.

?P1050036.jpg

P1050037.jpg

Looking really good there.

I have to say that after they picked me off the floor after my last electricity bill I have been looking into led lights and they seem to me to be the go. I am getting some LED strips for above the tanks (WIth 5metres of lighting using about 72w it is pretty good value for money if you can wire it up that is) and also I am looking into replacing my batten bulbs with led replacements. They are exe but only use about 1/3rd of power.

cheers

rosco

thanks Rosco, i have heard a few hit and miss stories with the led strips . the led tubes look interesting has anyone used these or recommends a particular brand?

the tubes look expensive but would cover themselves over time. power saving is a priority but you need what you need sump pumps, air and lights but i am trying to keep it down

there is some great new products out there, so it would be good to hear other peoples power saving tips.

cheers mark,

hi again ,

it starts getting a bit scary when you start adding up adding up wattage !!!!! i already run 3x sump pumps , 2x cannisters, 2 small wave makers 8 x54 watt t5 globes that i use very sparingly and a couple of very small air pumps.

The rack will have 6 x 4 foot globes .large sump pump and medium sized air pump. but as i say with some new products coming out like some of the low wattage pumps and lights . i should be able to trim it back a bit . Pity the new products are some times twice the price.!!!!!!!!!!

thanks mark

• 5 weeks later...

Hi ,

hope everyone had a safe and happy xmas. just a progress pic of the setup taking shape.

nothing like what i had originally planned but i am getting there . Lights and most of the plumbing in.

Air loop setup.Due to lack of room i have had to go up and over for the return to tanks line and have

16000 lph laguna to do the job.

I had actually received 5 of the tanks on xmas day. With out going into too much detail the tanks were

a disgrace and luckily was refunded .I had researched the guy a marine guru with a degree in aqua culture

a $150000 clown fish breeding setup ( being conservative there he has a purpose built 9mx9m shed with

all the technology to boot) so i thought i was on a winner .Unfortunately he wasnt a tankbuilders %&^..hole.

At least he understood the tanks were not acceptable . So i have tank builder number two that i sent the images of the first

lot and made it clear on what was not acceptable. A few weeks behind on where i would like to be but thats ok.

Good Luck in the new year all i could use some !

Cheers......Mark.

P.S

Spent my xmas break making lot of big bits of pvc into lots of little bits of pvc !

Oh and i learnt how to incinerate lots of money on fishroom stuff i am getting pretty good at that these days !

P1050061_zps1cd7649a.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

worlds slowest and unluckiest room builds ! i have battled dodgy tank builders, floods, gale force winds, endless holdups ,near 40 degree days, having to cane toad proof my pond !!!!!!!!

AT LAST SOME LUCK :spaz:

tanks arrived today BUT! wait for it ....... they left the lids in Brisbane !!! at least i can move on with it a bit now . it was dragging out so long i was loosing interest.

couple of pics below of first lot of tanks i rejected due to poor workmanship you can imagine my disgust when he turned up with these !! there was more air than silicon in most of the joints and i mean ALOT,corners out of square chipped bases.must of used a thong to apply silicon.it was without a doubt the worst tanks i had ever seen !! Worst part about it i was recommended this guy by a shop in townsville .It was still cheaper to get them made in brisbane and shipped up. I have the weekend off so i may make some progress FINALLY !!!!!!

cheers..........mark

P1050146_zpsfad2e77c.jpg

P1050072480x640_zpsc83a13b6.jpgP1050113600x800_zps6e142bf9.jpg

hmmm I couldn't imagine anything going wrong with these tanks NOT. Good on you for persisting. It took me 3 years to get all the tanks up and running in my fishroom rebuild and now I cansidering tearing most of them down in favour of maybe 2 racks, a big screen TV, recliner a R/C unit, a space invaders machine and a beer fridge.

cheers

rosco

HI,

finally some progress ! it has been a long hard slog . just a few two footers to paint and go on the end.

give it a good cleanup and possibly give it a trial run in a few days. would i have done things different.........

yes lots.. ideas change as things progress but i am pretty happy with it so far .any advice on the fine tuning

when i start her up ?. i will have a sponge in each tank as well , running an lp 60 do wondering if i will have enough

spare air to turn some k1 in the sump? thinking of running a six mm line to the k1 chamber to turn it over.

cant wait to stock it up !!!!

cheers mark

P1050158_zps06ebf126.jpg

P1050157_zps11349fd8.jpg

P1050151_zps5a2a4513.jpg

Nice set up mate. I cant tell by the photos but do you have a valve on each outlet to control the flow rate.

Also what size are the tanks, and the diameter if the holes in them to the sump.

Its some times hard to get an even flow rate to all tanks.

Also if you don't mind I would like to see a photo of the sump.

THANKS !

i have a 20mm tap on each tank. 40mm bulkheads dump into 90mm stormwater.

sump is 6x2x18 . pump is laguna 16000 LPH with 40mm pressure pipe back to tanks. it has a bit

of head to push but only 9 tanks run on the sump so its not a big loop .should be very close for sump

volume . i am using elbows inside the tanks before the strainers and was going to drill anti siphon holes in them

it gives me some play with adjusting water levels so i am not totally controlled by the lowest point in the bulkhead

as far as drainage . i am keen to flick the switch to see what happens. hoping there is not going to be too much fine tuning !!

i have had lots of setbacks with this dont want to deal with too many more.

i will post some pics of the sump up on the weekend. tanks are 4x2x18 and 3x2x18 and the

last gaps will have 2 footers on their sides.

last sleep for the imports !!!! they arrive tomorrow. they will have to go in two star accommodation for a few weeks

till the fish hilton is ready.!

cheers mark

Archived