garage fish room build

markfnq

thanks guys will update some pics soon .

plenty of aquaculture places up here , managed to score a 2000 litre grow out pond

just trying to decide how to filter it . thinking of going an overhead sump/trickle setup and run some air in as well.

Our Cairns Aquarium Society is having an auction tonight will be taking a few things down should be fun !

cheers mark

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive come into this thread a bit late but if your initial sump was too small, you could have added a 90 degree PVC elbow onto your pump intake which would allow it to continue pumping right down to the last 1cm of sump water.

Also if you are running bare bottom tanks, I would remove the polystyrene sheets under each tank - just leave enough to cover the stand beams - which will allow the top lights to shine right through to the bottom tier. Remove the lights from all lower tiers to save quite a lot of electricity.

As you are up north, I would add your 2000 L pond onto your central system too, just put the plumbing through the wall. Fill with plants to help improve water quality. Alternatively, use to feed your system. ie I have 3 x 2000L tubs outdoors to grow thick green water soup and turn one tub onto the system each week on a 3 week rotation to feed the live green water which the fry and adults all appreciate. You can trickle feed or flood feed just like isolating and then returning a tank on your system. Most people know that keeping fish outdoors will improve colour and this is a good compromise.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update pic of my fishroom system running smoothly and fish breeding well !

the new addition is the 2000 litre grow out tub , it runs with a laguna 5000 lph pump that services a big overhead diy trickle box filter

there is air running in the tub as well . my main problem is trying to observe and catch anything in there !!!

have a new colony of mdoka white lip in there with assorted fry i am growing out and i am sure the mdoka have spawned , i was watching the action over head. but i cant get close enough to confirm. i have my wife currently making a custom monster net ! .

will be putting another 2000 litre tub in here soon.

The next luxury for the little buggers is air con . it will be installed in a few days . i can live without using heaters up here in winter but heat and humidity in summer is too much

CHEERS MARK

P1130293_zps2ddd933c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just added the timber rack although i swore i would never go back to odds and ends it came at the right price !. i had to flip the rack to have the four footers on the second tier and will have two three footers on the the bottom still undecided on top tier probably two footers but the tanks will have to be a bit short in height. i have decided that i will run two cannisters on the fours so i will squeeze them under the rack to give me more room i have a spare eheim pro 3 2075 and i am thinking of a eheim 2217 for the other. ? ? the LP 60 will run the rest of the rack and give the cannisters a bit of help, there should be a spare line or two to put some extra air in the 2000 litre growout tub.

cheers Mark

P1140044_zpsc81e8933.jpg

P1140054_zps59e0c850.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived