my tanganyikan tank

jrod

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to start some renovations and the room it's in is getting new flooring. To be honest the thought of stripping the tank down, Re housing the fish, moving the tank and then re set it up after the rennos is far to much fuss. So I'd rather sell it all and start something a little different when I'm ready. I'm asking $1750 ono for the setup. What are all your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd like to share a little something to those few critics of this setup. Yes my tank was heavily stocked with what some of you may consider species that cannot co exist. To your surprise my tank worked extremely well. Lots of breeding (no cross breeding). No mysterious deaths (the frontosas are giant cats). Most of all I myself and every visitor who ever saw the tank stared in admiration of how beautiful it was! So I suggest to some of you by the book die hards. Think outside the box, experiment a little. Find out what works well for you like I did after many years of trying. Study your fish tank instead of ridiculing others on a forum. To all who did follow this thread and had kind comments and have great passion like me thank you.

I feel like I should respond to this...

that's great that it worked for you! that's cool, but a majority of tang keepers like to keep the species happy rather than mixing a tang with the most random stocklist of species

and others like a display tank to represent lake tanganyika, where you would recreate a part of the lake in a tang. Be it a surge habitat, deep water, open sand, rocky and specific species are found in each area.

Hell you could've kept oscars, stingrays, geos, tetras, rainbowfish in the tank which might've co-existed, it doesn't matter. People like to keep fish in different ways, just like some people like hybrids, some people mix all kinds of malawi species together, and some people like to stick to the book, research and natural systems - keeping species how they should be kept rather than for your own personal enjoyment.

You just get to see their true natural behaviours, like schooling, breeding, caring for young, living in colonies, showing off to females, that kind of thing....

You're entitled to your own opinion, do what you want with your own tank, but relax, this is a public forum and people will post their thoughts and offer their input

I was expecting a totally different response to this. But I 100% agree with everything you said. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't see the need to tell people they are wrong or this and that won't work. I have had a few people ask me why I was given a hard time about this setup and I simply answered with I have no idea. My previous post was just to update and prove that what I had planned all along worked well. Maybe there were a few others who were liking my stock list and were unsure of how it could work. I just want to encourage people to do their research and try things differently. I'm not suggesting oscars and neons. But you get the picture

maybe you need to get the fish to read the same articles

as the critics then they will know exactly what they are or

aren't suppose to do in their behaviour

oh well too bad fish can't read :no:

hope your reno's go well and the new tank is running soon

This was a beautiful display tank, and that is what it was designed to be, a display tank. Im betting we are all happy that your stocklist of fish got on alright, and you had no serious dramas. If fish are spawning, that has to tell you they are happy:

So cheers for making fish in a "not as natural as some of us try for it to be" setting, happy!! :thumb :thumb

If i had a 12 x 4 x 4 tank or something huge, i would do what you did aswell!

Thanks. It means a lot to know that people liked what I did. It's unfortunate that it all has to go. But... I may have a bigger and better project in the near future. Stay tuned

Archived