my tanganyikan tank

jrod

I recently purchaced my 8x2.5x2.5 tank and over the past years I have rushed into projects. Not this time! I planned to do everything 100%. The right substrate, filtration, plumbing and ovcoarse the fish. Some of the my favourite fish I have ever kept were tangs. So I told myself I would do an exclusivly tanganyikan tank with all my favourites...

Substrate: pool filter sand mixed with coral sand

rocks: Texas holey rock and dead coral peices

filteration: 5x20"x20" sump with 8500LPH pump. Crushed coral peices and matrix in each side of the sump. 40mm PVC pipping all round.

Lighting: x6 t8 lights built into the hood. X2 blue. X4 white. All run off a timer and seperate power switch

stock list I wish to fill the tank with:

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis

Cyprichromis leptosoma jumbo

Altolamprologus calvus (white)

Altolamprologus calvus (black)

Altolamprologus comp (firefin)

Altolamprologus comp (gold)

Altolamprologus comp (gold head)

Neolamprologus leleupi

Triglachromis otostigma

Ctenochromis horii

Cyathopharynx foai

Cyathopharynx furcifer

Eretmodus cyanostictus

Julidochromis regani

Julidochromis transcriptus

Chalinochromis popelini

Lobochilotes labiatus

Spathodus erythrodon

Tanganicodus irsacae

Variabilichromis moori

Tropheous ikola

Tropheous bulu point

Tropheous Bemba

Tropheous moliro

Tropheous duboisi maswa

Cyphotilapia frontosa

Hypostomus plecostomus

Pimelodis pictus

synodontis Petricola

Feedback welcome. Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man,

Finally someone with good taste in fish!! (jokes, you all have good taste)

Awesome fish list. Pics not working, cant wait for them to come up though. this sounds awesome!!

wow nice fish list. where are the pics???

except perhaps the pleco and pictus, nice fish but not Tangs but i see why you might want them. synodontus petricola would work better for me. i nearly put a gibbiceps in my tank but decided not to in the end.

do you have problems with interbreeding between fish like the tropheus or julies?

progress pics...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

more current pics... first lot of fish are in

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

sorry if some of the pics are bad quality

wow nice fish list. where are the pics???

except perhaps the pleco and pictus, nice fish but not Tangs but i see why you might want them. synodontus petricola would work better for me. i nearly put a gibbiceps in my tank but decided not to in the end.

do you have problems with interbreeding between fish like the tropheus or julies?

thanks mate. the pictus and pleco and the bristlenose are only there for cleaning. petricola will be going in soon instead.

not all the fish are in yet. thats kinda just a wishlist im working on... i have some in grow out and the some in the tank the rest are yet to be sourced.

in the tank:

fronnies

julies

triglachromis

black calvus

white calvus

gold comps

firefin comps

pleco

bristlenose

pictus

In grow out:

tropheus Bemba

tropheus dub

tropheus molirio

leleiupi

the tropheus in the grow out tank

IPB Image

its a craP pic... but you gotta love the castle out of my daughters goldfish tank.hahaha

Very nice tank, good size

But I can't see the entire stock list working at all

A lot of those fish will interbreed or just fight too much

You should add some sand sifters though :)

i should have stated that that list is a wish list... whatever fish i can source will be then considered if they will go in this tank or one of my other tanks. i just love all the tangs so much i wish they could all be together in one tank. will definatly be getting some sand sifters. got some triglachromis the other day and they have already been moving some sand about!

Outstanding, love your work :clap

Similar to what I've decked my tank out in - coral sand and holey rock. Looks great against the black background aswell.

What sort of pump are you running in there?

Regards, Rob

thanks mate. im running a resun 8500LPH pump. but i run a tap just after the pump to control the flow which is just under quater turn...

yeh i was thinking the same as shon... i would be careful.

trigs would have to be one of my all time fav tangs, sand sifters in that tank= :thumb:clap

Im going to do this one day...... *dreaming*

yeh i was thinking the same as shon... i would be careful.

trigs would have to be one of my all time fav tangs, sand sifters in that tank= :thumb:clap

Im going to do this one day...... *dreaming*

yeah the trigs are my new favourite! You may notice I have edited my list a little...

These fish are okay with most fish:

Triglachromis otostigma

Variabilichromis moori

synodontis Petricola

Chalinochromis popelini

Grouped these together, probably best to only keep one from each group due to aggression and/or crossing to form hybrids:

Cyathopharynx foai

Cyathopharynx furcifer

Tropheous ikola

Tropheous bulu point

Tropheous Bemba

Tropheous moliro

Tropheous duboisi maswa

Eretmodus cyanostictus

Spathodus erythrodon

Tanganicodus irsacae

Neolamprologus leleupi

Julidochromis regani

Other:

Cyphotilapia frontosa - eat smaller fish

Lobochilotes labiatus - good luck finding them, probably would have to look at certain tank mates

Ctenochromis horei - way to aggressive for all the fish expect probably the frontosa

Why would you bother with these?

Pimelodis pictus

Hypostomus plecostomus

These fish are okay with most fish:

Triglachromis otostigma

Variabilichromis moori

synodontis Petricola

Chalinochromis popelini

Grouped these together, probably best to only keep one from each group due to aggression and/or crossing to form hybrids:

Cyathopharynx foai

Cyathopharynx furcifer

Tropheous ikola

Tropheous bulu point

Tropheous Bemba

Tropheous moliro

Tropheous duboisi maswa

Eretmodus cyanostictus

Spathodus erythrodon

Tanganicodus irsacae

Neolamprologus leleupi

Julidochromis regani

Other:

Cyphotilapia frontosa - eat smaller fish

Lobochilotes labiatus - good luck finding them, probably would have to look at certain tank mates

Ctenochromis horei - way to aggressive for all the fish expect probably the frontosa

Why would you bother with these?

Pimelodis pictus

Hypostomus plecostomus

I'm sorry mate but I must inform you that this is for my satisfaction only. What I stock in it is my choice. I understand some of these fish may not work together. But as I said whatever dosnt work will be moved to other tanks. In my opinion alot of these fish you say won't work together can work together, and has worked for me in the past. All fish are being grown up from fry in the tank. Pleco and bristlenose are to clean the tank. And pictus will be swaped out for Petricola when I get them.

hi jrod,

love your passion

and thanks God you have chosen a good lake!

im following your thread...

:)

thanks mate. They are such a beautiful and interesting fish, who couldn't love tanganyikans. Thanks for following the thread. Will do my best to keep updated with photos and info.

what does a 8ft tank sell for these days?

you can pick up an 8x2x2 brand new for about $600 these days. My size can be double that just because of the glass thickness.

Quick update.

Some more fish have been introduced. Got a few more small black calvus, white calvus, gold comps, triglachromis. I also got some Lamprologus caudopunctatus and cyprichromis leptosoma masala. The fish have realy come to life now, they are schooling with each other and some great colors are showing. More pics soon...

Im sick of seeing all of you guys and your massive tanks lol.

Everyone should do a big tank at some point! It's well worth it!

Yeah I thought about a 10footer. I have a wall that exactly 8 foot long so I had to go 8 foot. Turned out awesome. My dream is when I get a bigger house in the hallway have 2 tanks eitherside looking into the rooms. Probably 10x3x3. But that's just a dream for now

I like the look and idea of the top drilled holes for exit and entry of the filter . How does the tank go noise wise ( fussy wife ) , and did you employ any tactics to keep noise at a minimum . Regards

Pat. ps nice tank ( if it had South Americans it would be perfect ).

I like the look and idea of the top drilled holes for exit and entry of the filter . How does the tank go noise wise ( fussy wife ) , and did you employ any tactics to keep noise at a minimum . Regards

Pat. ps nice tank ( if it had South Americans it would be perfect ).

Thanks mate I guess each to their own regarding fish. If we all had the same fish it could be quite boring.

The setup works well. It was a little noisy to start with. The pump is quite big so it's quite noisy. But if I spent some more money I could have got a quieter one. Thick lids on the tank and sump help alot with noise. Its much quieter than most tanks Iv had with a weir so I'm happy. I took me 3 attempts to get it to this point where I'm happy with the noise output. Trial and error I guess...

Archived