my tanganyikan tank

jrod

i may be wrong, but i think that the plants are called 'variegated rush', and aren't a true aquatic plant. if they are the ones i am thinking of, they will melt away. how long have they been in the tank?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A month or so. Leaves have been comming off but I thought it was just the fish eating them. I only bought them because they were cheap and were the least ugly. Silk plants might be the go if these don't hold up

Try vallisneria. Its better suited to tang environments and looks fairly similar. It is also very easy to look after.

Thanks for the tip mate. I'll keep an eye out for it. Never seen it before

+1 for the val the stuff grows like crazy too. I remember when i first started out 11 years ago i didnt even have a light on my community tank and the stuff took over in no time. Ended up planting out my silver perch pond with it.

Fronnies wil be out before then. They are only growing up in there. Eventually they wil be part of my breeding colony in their own tank.

Fronnies wil be out before then. They are only growing up in there. Eventually they wil be part of my breeding colony in their own tank.

the tank looks great , every body has there own opinion,you just do wat u wont to ,it looks great keep up the good work ,im in sth aussie i wish the tanks were that cheep here 600 for 8x2x2 thats excellent, 1400 for 7x2.5x2.5 herein adelaide cheers mike

Cheers mate. Yeah the tanks arnt to bad here. You just gotta know where to go. 7x2.5x2.5 is $1000 roughly. I'll have to take some more pics soon.

hey the tank is looking great. thanks for posting the pics :thumb

Thanks mate! I told you great minds think alike... Hahahaha

totally agree.

I was going to plant mine with vallis, java fewn and anubis which will all cope with the hard alkaline Tang water and possibly cope with hungry tropheus as well but the Mrs rejected the idea, i would get some Vallis at least in that tank, it would look amazing.

totally agree.

I was going to plant mine with vallis, java fewn and anubis which will all cope with the hard alkaline Tang water and possibly cope with hungry tropheus as well but the Mrs rejected the idea, i would get some Vallis at least in that tank, it would look amazing.

Yeah I was the other way around. I have never been a fan of plants. But everyone told me it needed "greenery". These were the only plant I liked the look of. But with everyone's suggestion of Val has got me more keen on the idea. It will be an addition to the tank very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing! :clap

Where did you source the texas holeys? I am looking for reasonably priced rocks.

Cheers.

i dont no if u no anybody or u can get them urself but pieces internet site has them ,i bought 30kg it cost 100 sent to adelaide but i no someone with a aquarium shop ,but u never no good luck mike

Amazing! :clap

Where did you source the texas holeys? I am looking for reasonably priced rocks.

Cheers.

It's not all Texas holey rock. Some of it is dead coral. I bought the holey rock from crystal palace in five dock. Can't remember what I paid but it was half the price of some shops...

where did you go to get all the juvies?

LFS?

Breeders

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update. Met up with grant last weekend and got some parracyps, albino parracyps, furcifer and eretmodus. I'll take some pics as soon as work gives me a break.

• 2 weeks later...

albino paracyp ? nice

yeah there are three types of parracyp. the normal nigripinnis, albino nigripinnis and parracyp brenei

great to see its all settling in that tank looks better each time i see it :clap how do you find the upkeep of the sand substate??

Thanks mate. The sand is quite easy to maintain. I do a light gravel vac once a month. The pool filter sand is much better than other stuff I have used

Archived