Blue Rams Three Weeks After Purchase

CThompson

Sorry the shot is a little unfocused - could not get a focused shot. Not sure why, I used auto and manual focus, all were flash shots so shutter speed was not the issue. Every shot i took was no good, but I chose the best of a bad lot to show you.

I put two different lenses on the camera which didn't help, but took some auto shots of some non-underwater subjects directly after the blurred fish shots and they were fine.

Very frustrating as I deleted some wonderfull colours.

IPB Image

I'll put a shot of the female as well as she has such a loverly pink stomach :yes:

IPB Image

I picked mine up shortly after you left with yours Craig. They are looking fantastic, but no eggs for me yet... (Not that I would be able to save them in my display tank anyway.)

If I knew you were next I would have waited around.

looking good mate

Any idea why I couldn't focus? I thought maybe the auto focus was getting stuck on the glass, so focused manually, but still no good.

I have a fairly basic point'n'shoot camera and find the best way to take photos through glass is by putting the lens right up against the glass and then trying to focus on an object.

GundamCichlid

Check out “The Magic Tank” in the Photography Forum on ACE

Sloany

I keep the tank just shy of neutral or at neutral, for the plants not fish. I thought they were still too small to breed Shane, but they not only laid eggs, they are still tending them – go figure! I’d much rather they kept it in their pants as now I will feel bad if the young hatch and starve, or go down the filter (BIG filter on this tank for its size) or if they are eaten by the rainbows…

Ajk

Sloany sourced them from QLD and parted with his excess.

Pseudotrop

When I come up to the tank, the rams come up to the front glass. If I took the camera to the glass as you suggest (though I will try), I’m going to need some sort of super macro lens as the fish will be the tank’s glass thickness away from the lens…and looking straight down the barrel :blink My camera is a Nikon D50, a few years old now, but a good camera. I have taken many focused fish shots in the past, just not the rams and I don't understand why the shots I took didn't work. I saw they were no good as I previewed them as I took them, took a shot of some printing on a magazine and that was fine, went back to the fish - not fine.

When I come up to the tank, the rams come up to the front glass. If I took the camera to the glass as you suggest (though I will try), I’m going to need some sort of super macro lens as the fish will be the tank’s glass thickness away from the lens…and looking straight down the barrel My camera is a Nikon D50, a few years old now, but a good camera. I have taken many focused fish shots in the past, just not the rams and I don't understand why the shots I took didn't work. I saw they were no good as I previewed them as I took them, took a shot of some printing on a magazine and that was fine, went back to the fish - not fine.

I'm no camera guru by any means, but what shutter speed is the camera set at? Maybe you need to increase this? As an image can be in focus but still come out blurry if the shutter speed is too slow (and the subject moves). You'd have to have a read of the manual - most cameras allow you to select an automatic or manual option.

Other things that seem to help are being perpendicular to the glass (which could be hard on a hexagonal tank which is reflecting light in various directions off the glass) although I have seen other pics of the same tank about the forum which seem fine. :confused:

When I come up to the tank, the rams come up to the front glass. If I took the camera to the glass as you suggest (though I will try), I'm going to need some sort of super macro lens as the fish will be the tank's glass thickness away from the lens…and looking straight down the barrel My camera is a Nikon D50, a few years old now, but a good camera. I have taken many focused fish shots in the past, just not the rams and I don't understand why the shots I took didn't work. I saw they were no good as I previewed them as I took them, took a shot of some printing on a magazine and that was fine, went back to the fish - not fine.

I'm no camera guru by any means, but what shutter speed is the camera set at? Maybe you need to increase this? As an image can be in focus but still come out blurry if the shutter speed is too slow (and the subject moves). You'd have to have a read of the manual - most cameras allow you to select an automatic or manual option.

Other things that seem to help are being perpendicular to the glass (which could be hard on a hexagonal tank which is reflecting light in various directions off the glass) although I have seen other pics of the same tank about the forum which seem fine. :confused:

camera automatics when flash is used means that the shutter speed is fast enough to rule out it being blurred for this reason.

The shape of the tank isn't it either as zooming the lens puts me at one panel, and two didn't make a difference either.

If I only took on manual focus I'd say I'd best get those glasses I've been putting off, but it's also out of focus on auto focus, when shooting the fish. But when taking a photo of a magazine's printing, the auto focus was spot on.

Other shots of tanks with this camera have been fine, it's just since I have tried to take photos of the rams.

Thanks for your comments.

Craig

if you have green water then use it as I'm guessing they will be up swimming by tomorrow

do you have an established sponge filter ? they are always good for small fry to feed off

yes there should be micro organisms on the wood that they will pick at

vinegar eels and micro worms are your other options

egg yolk made into a slurry but in small quantities even liquifry

Chris

Archived