Tank Journal

dogboy

cheers, there are lits of little rocks behind the big ones with a whole labrynth of places for them to swim. there are also some bigger coridors within the piles thay you cant see in the photos. i did think of PVC but achieved the same effect without.

as for water, theres still 1300 L in there after rocks sand ect so i should be ok.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so the sump is way too noisy. when i designed it i was working arround the fact that it had cross bracing and i needed access to the chambers arround that..... then it occured to me after i finished it that the internal baffles will act as bracing so dont need the one across the top. then it occured to me that i was too lazy to rebuild it and would try it as is and guess what its too noisy.

so ive stripped it down and rebuilt one end of it with an entry chamber for the water( far right), the heaters will go in there. this overflows across the diffusion plate into the bio chamber ( will have coarse sponge, filter wool, ceramic matrix then some hydroton) , water then goes up a small gap into the second filtration chamber for polishing and buffering with coral. then on into the pump chamber and back to the tank.

IPB Image

have also put the first fish in today , 4 N leleupi as guinea pigs and to help cycle the beast.

well the tropheus have finally made it into the tank and seem to be settling in well.

i dumped a heap of water from this tank then refilled it with all the water from tthe 7 foot the t's where already in, tropheus into buckets and then used air line to slowly add water from the tank to the buckets to aclimatise the T's.

they seem really happy already, some shaking/breeding action going on within 10 minutes, nothing serious just practicing, they are busy exploring the rockpiles and backdrop.

the lelupi and calvus which were quite timid are now out in force.

i will post some better pics later, too much reflected light at the moment to get a full tank shot.

so fish list as of today

30 T. bemba

13 T. duboisi

7 C. popelini

4 N. leleupi

2 A .calvus- black

IPB Image

IPB Image

thanks eveyone,

its been a long time to get fish in as other projects kept getting priority but i am really thrilled with the tank. i havent had a display tank for 2 years, its all been about getting the fish room sorted and fish breeding. its nice to be able to relax and sit in front of a tank for an hour and just watch them.

almost makes me want to quit breeding them and downsize the fish room to dispaly tanks......almost.

im going to see if a can borrow a DSLR to get some better pics.

put some xeno sandshifters and bingo... mini tanganikya in oz :)

nice job and aswesome effort. (reading this makes me wants to earn more so I can PAY some one to do this for me!:) lol)

btw that is a lot of rocks! arn't you worried it's going to come down! i'll be petrified everytime i here a sound!

xenos would be nice. i have some paracyps and cyps breeding so when colony numbers are up they will be going in

I think a featherfin and some Synodontis petricola but they are almost impossible to find in Adelaide so may have to wait 6 to 12 months..

im not worried about the rocks, they are on eggcrate and there are big flat ones at the base to act as a foundation and then every rock was added and checked for stability. these rocks arent moving unless i move them.

ok so i am failing dismally to get some decent pics of this tank, the tropheus move to fast for my camera to get a shot without blurs all over it.

plan B , try a video. i appologise for the quality, its done with same crappy P&S that cant take photos so goes in and out of focus a bit but you will get the general idea of how the tank looks with its new inhabitants.

the T's seem to be loving it, one bemba was holding when she went in, i think 2 more are now, the dubs are also having a lovefest, they didnt breed much when in a 7X16X18 but 3 are holding within a week of being in the new tank. will never be able to catch fry but that doesnt matter.

IPB Image

the tank looks great im seting up tang fish room at mclaren flat sa wood love to get some baby fish from u could swap if u want to ive got baby cyprichromis leptosoma,ophthalmotilapia ventralis light blue ;paracyprichromis nigripinnis blue neon they are ten mm long ventralis still in mums mouth this is my first reply hope it works dog boy

ok so i am failing dismally to get some decent pics of this tank, the tropheus move to fast for my camera to get a shot without blurs all over it.

plan B , try a video. i appologise for the quality, its done with same crappy P&S that cant take photos so goes in and out of focus a bit but you will get the general idea of how the tank looks with its new inhabitants.

the T's seem to be loving it, one bemba was holding when she went in, i think 2 more are now, the dubs are also having a lovefest, they didnt breed much when in a 7X16X18 but 3 are holding within a week of being in the new tank. will never be able to catch fry but that doesnt matter.

IPB Image

amazing dogboy, so great to see it all in natural. frys hiding in crevices fighting to stay alive. survival of the fittest in your living room. droooooooooooool.

i say put some elephant nose and ghost knife, school of large neons too and bam super aquarium :) (sorry i have strange tastes :) lol)

ps nswcs meeting tomorrow, cheap plan tickets, bring gold credit card and go crazy bidding for fish to fill the tank!

from damn jealoused enthuiest,

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys, i am loving it. the challinochromis have spawned and the bembas and dubs must be close to spitting fry any day now, they can bareley keep their mouths shut.

thanks Chris, Craigs tank is one i drew inspiration from and to have it compared to such an amazing tank is a real compliment... His in my opinion is still in another league way above what ive done.

• 1 month later...

I saw Richards tank when I bought some fish from him last weekend, it is truly inspirational and prooves what you can do if you have the drive.

Well done Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey dogboy Awsome tank mate!!!! I just came across this thread yesterday as I'm only new to this forum. It seems great minds think alike! I have just started my 8x2.5x2.5 tang tank. Currently cycling water and sourcing fish. If my tank ends up half as nice yours I'll be a happy man! Keep up the good work

thanks guys.

the tank is doing really well the tropheus are breeding niceley although most of the fry are getting picked off by someone. i think the leleupis may be breeding although no fry seen yet and the chalinochromis bred but again no fry survived. its a dream to watch the tropheus doing their thing and cruising arround the tank.

anyone contemplating setting up a big tank--just do it its worth every bit of time effort and money

Jrod...post some photos would be great to see it

thanks guys.

anyone contemplating setting up a big tank--just do it its worth every bit of time effort and money

Jrod...post some photos would be great to see it

I agree mate. Well worth the time and effort!

I'd have my own tank journal started by now. But I have no Internet at home. It's a little anoying!

• 2 months later...

ok so its been a while since an update . this is the tank with a very wide angle lens and crappy flouros that make it look yellow.

IPB Image

the tank is keeping me very entertained, i spend hours watching the fish, the tropheus are breeding all the time, i feed them NLS 1mm cichlid and add the food in a net so they get used to it, occasionally i can catch a holding duboisi in the net , the female bembas are a little smarter. anyway there have been lots of fry in the tank and a few have made it past the calvus to a size where they can dart out from the rocks to play with the big fish.

there are also some new inhabitants , 4 more t duboisi juveniles, 8 neolamprologus cylindricus fry (4cm) as well as 2 paracyprichromis nigripinis males and 2 cyprichromis leptosoma mpulungu males, and a lone N brichardi. i toyed with the idea of adding 6 brichardi but thought bette of it in the end, i didnt want them taking over although it may have provided a better target for the calvis than the tropheus fry.

thanks for looking

Archived