My new display tank

Cuong

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ash, my brother says they will be coming home next weekend. We both brought 5-7 of the Geophagus sp. Rio Araguaia and they started flicking abit, especially around the gills. I gave mine to him to be treated with potassium permanganate and let the fish mingle together for a bit as he's donated his lot for the new tank.

sharkbaitnemo, unfortunately it wasn't Mr Chalmers that made my tank but instead Aquarium Warehouse. It's a very sturdy and well built tank, it's just lacks a little attention to detail (ie blobs of silicon) but as long as it holds water and the front glass panel is scratch free I'm happy.

Do you get the cabient custom as I was hoping to get one similar. If you dont mind could you please shed a little light on where you got it from and a rough cost?

BTW setup is looking very good, cant wait to see it completed with a nice school of geos. Have you considered painting the background black or maybe even getting a universal rocks or back to nature background.

Yes the stand is custom made, I got it the maker who supplies Pet City. The price was just under $1000 which was more than the tank :roll

The geos are in but I've also released some Botia berdmorei which need to be recaptured and put into another tank because they're a little aggressive. Just one more to catch.:lol2:

I will post pictures up later.

Here are some pictures of the new inhabitants. I ended up with a nice colony of ten Geophagus sp Rio Araguia who all haven't coloured up yet (head wise).

This guy is soon to be evicted..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for taking a look :)

Cheers guys.

Last night, after almost lifting up every piece of wood, I managed to capture that elusive loach and he's now living with his three other buddies in another tank.

I think I need a few fish that would cover the top half of the tank more, any suggestions? The geos come up for food but when you're not feeding them they're all on the bottom sifting. I was thinking wild scalare angels, or hatchet fish?

• 5 weeks later...

For those of you who are still following this/interested, this is the final update. I will probably will add some other fish as time goes by (hatchets etc), but this is how it will look for the most part.

IPB Image

Thanks for reading! :)

No idea on the type of wood Mick. Some pieces were bought from a LFS however I'm not too sure of the source, definitely not the thick Malaysian bogwood.

Those plants you see are the ones that the geos have spared, a few little ones were uprooted. They don't sift too deeply though, which gives the established plants and their roots a chance. The geos keep sifting around the rocks though leaving a little unnatural 'moat' around the base :roll

Thanks guys.

Haven't had any problems with them injurying themselves yet, even though they do play rough. The ends aren't really sharp, well not enough to impale a fish.

The loach just came from a LFS, however I wouldn't expect them to stock them every month. It was the first time I saw them and I liked it enough to grab some.

Archived