My new display tank

Cuong

Howdy all,

With my 6'x2'x2' display nearing 12+ years of service and it's age being visible (many, but minor scratches, fractured stand, worn silicon) it was a semi-good reason for an upgrade.

The old tank

IPB Image

So after a month of planning and weeks of waiting, the tank, stand and accessories all arrived in the past two days. Here's what's happened so far -

20th July

The lighting fixture was installed into the ceiling (always wanted this), and the stand arrived reaking of paint still. Since I didn't want a background stuck to the tank, the white background board serves as barrier so that the window behind the tank wasn't visible and that no direct sunlight would hit the tank from behind. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of algae in the tank.

IPB Image

Also that day, I picked up the pool filter sand that was going to be the substrate for the tank. Finding this stuff was more difficult than it seems. I went around to about 4 different pool shops before I found something the right size.

IPB Image

21st July

The tank arrived a day or two before, however I didn't have enough people to lift it up the flight of stairs. I managed to lure (trick?) a few mates over last night and after a little strain the tank was in it's place.

IPB Image

22nd July (the wee hours)

Along with the planning of the tank and stand, the month or two before involved scouraging the LFS for the critical pieces of driftwood. These along with some rocks, and the washed sand were placed in the tank and after that meant the 850L filling process could begin. Although the water is yet to clear, and the left hand side of the tank hasn't been arranged yet, I was reasonably happy on how it turned out -

IPB Image

The addition of one of the filters (Eheim 2028) in a poor attempt to clear up the tank. I'm planning on only stocking this tank lightly so I'm hoping two cannisters should be okay - the other being a 2228 (roughly the same flow) from the old tank.

IPB Image

And of course, the excess driftwood. I'm hoping to do some more arranging tonight, especially the left side.

IPB Image

Right now I'm awaiting the delivery of a couple of 300W Jagers before I start to cycle the tank. After the cycling I've got a 12W UV to attach to one of the cannisters and hopefully after that the fish! The tank is intended to be a simple South Amercian/Amazon display with geophagus (waiting for them to grow), hopefully some altum angels (if available), cories, royal whiptails and a few rare L's. However funding is the major concern :lol3:

Thanks for reading, and your comments and suggestions are most welcome!

SchmucK :thumb

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great mate. I love geo's so you have got my vote. Love the light hanging also. What kind of globe are you using in it? I plan to one day setup a decent sized tank and stock it with geophagus altifrons. Not sure as what variant to get but.

Keep us updated with pics mate.

Cameron

Thanks for the comments guys!

I've ordered a few small plants yesterday, mainly hardy stuff like thin val, anubias etc. Hopefully I should be able to start cycling by next week sometime.

The thing I'm most impressed about is the stand, as it was exactly what I wanted. I think it looks like the simple ADA stands in Japan and the colour matches the whole livingroom well.

Here's a few shots to show how it fits in

IPB Image

IPB Image

Did a little reorganising last night, but the left hand side isn't quite right.

IPB Image

Thanks for reading!

Thanks! The dimensions are on the thread title (6'x2'x80cm) and I don't think I'll be keeping discus in this one. I've shipped all my discus off to my brother and I've only got a Snakeskin pair left.

Initially I also wanted to cover the whole window, but it was difficult to find a piece big enough. Even this piece had to be raised to cover the back of the tank properly.

Bass?

:shock: WOW!!! Paint me green with Envy! that tank is AWESOME!!!!! :thumbup:

cant wait to see it with some fish in it, really good job!

yes, bass, that gut tumbling rumble is what i was refering to , those are big speakers..

does anyone think it would effect the fish or tank?

Oh and for a lovely display tank of that size, especially considering that you have it painted to match your existing furniture, why did you opt for a hole in the side for green canister hoses, did you consider a sump?

also with the window comment I was not really refering to above the board , more the gap beside it between the tank and plasma...

trofius

I went for the holes in the side because when viewing the tank from the front, excess hosing etc isn't visible. For extra 'stealth' tubes I was planning to use clear tubing from the cannisters to the tank but couldn't find anything of exact size.

We don't crank the speakers that often and even on the occasions that we do (some movie nights, Origin nights) I've found my discus don't get spooked. They even like to crowd around the TV side of the tank sometimes and have a look.

Re: the sump. Since it is in the livingroom, I didn't want the trickling noise of water.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for those who are interested..

I've added to the tank 10 Corydoras Adolfoi at around 2-2.5cm. I've always wanted these little guys and can't wait until they've settled in a little more and venture out more frequently.

Here are some pictures of the little guys -

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers for reading!

Archived