My new display tank

Cuong

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking great! It's an inspiration to me and an encouragement to stop being an apartment dweller and get my tuchus into a house (with meaty concrete slab flooring to take the weight!). :)

Cheers - OziOscar.

Great looking tank you've set up there SchmucK.

Well done mate!

Nick.

Hey SchmucK , nice tank!

Here my species list for you... maybe you can setup my inspiring tank.

L333's

Corydoras 'neon green'

Whiptails

School of cardinal tetras.

Discus would be nice (however you have stated they aren't an option)

Instead... hmm hard one i guess geos.

Ps. is the 14W sufficient? (seems like judging by the clarify of your tank) However, the lifetime of the tube might be significantly reduced by being overworked???

Anyway, keep us up to date

I definitely like where you're going with that species list. In addition to the geophagus and cories I've already got I'm currently sourcing out some (ie. 2-3) royal whiptails and perhaps some bigger L's like Panaques - but I'm in no hurry. I've also decided against tetras as they might end up as geo snacks later on.

And I'm always looking for some altums that won't drop like flies.

[edit]About the UV, I'm mainly using it as an algae preventative in conjunction with the geos. However it's not going so well in that some algae has been growing on the sand :(

[edit]About the UV, I'm mainly using it as an algae preventative in conjunction with the geos. However it's not going so well in that some algae has been growing on the sand :(

The UV won't stop algae on the sand, it only stops algae that passses through it.

Bruce

Cheers again guys.

carlos, I think I will sooner or later but for now I'm just waiting for some fish and trying to battle algae on the sand.

Bruce, I was hoping the geos would stir up the sand a little and the free algae be zapped by the UV. I think I just need to let the tank settle into water change routines for a bit. I remember you had a bit of a problem with sand and algae aswell, how did you overcome that?

• 3 weeks later...

Here you are Bruce,

IPB Image

IPB Image

And the update on the tank, it's in a 'Safe Mode' at the moment. Like the Windows version, it's only running the bare essentials during the day so that doesn't include the light and only sparse feedings. The lights usually come on in the evenings when I come home and are only on for 3-4 hours.

Still waiting on my geophagus..

IPB Image

The water quality is great, once you get some eartheaters in there are they start sifting you will have nothing to worry about with algae on the sand.

That whiptail looks like he is digging into some hair algae.

Bruce

how long till they arrive?

I love this tank - only think I'd do differently is have a very small open top hood to cover down to the waterline & hide the tank bracing - have it in a matched grey to the cabinet. I know I'm being picky, that would just make it perfect IMO. :B

Can't wait to see it with the geos :8

Archived