Desk tank at work

novafishy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is absolutely amazing! Well done, I really like the layout now! What kind of fish you thinking of putting inside? And what is your planned fertiliser?

Thanks! I've got laterite at the bottom, and then i've used plant fert tabs and liquid ferts too.

I bought 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 rummy noses, couple of cories, a small BN and a siamese algae eater.

Cant wait for the pics! yes.gif

A top effort, that's for sure clap.gif

One small small criticism - I don't like the way the smooth black rock on the left hand side is sitting on its side. To me, your aquarium is a mini-nature aquarium, and a rock would not end up sitting like that in a stream. ie. I reckon you should lay it down flat zipit.gif

Cheers, and keep us all posted,

Richard

Neil, a friend gave them to me, however from memory, I think he bought it from a shop in carlingford. I've PM'ed you the name.

Blake, thanks mate, but I think I'll stick to tetras for the time being. I might set up another tank at work, if the boss allows me, then i'll go SA dwarfs. haha!

More pics to come on monday!

One quick note:

Did you think about what will happen to the nice layers of fertiliser, gravel then sand when you siphon the bottom? from my experience, after the first syphon session it all gets mixed up and wont have the nice sand only look on the surface of the bottom anymore. Unless thats what you are after???

Here's an update guys. The plants have really started to take off. So has some algae LOL.gif

Added the following fish:

5 x Harlequin rasboras

5 x Rummy nose

3 x Neons

1 x Cardinal (1 mysteriously disappeared)

1 x Corydoras robinae

1 x 1.5cm BN

2 x unidentified shrimp

Plants:

Anubias

Java Fern

Java moss

Amazon sword

Crypts

and I'm unsure of the spikey tall ones in the middle. Anyone know?

Shrimp:

user posted image

Neon + Harlequin + some plants:

user posted image

Tank looks great,

I think the shrimp are called glass shrimp, I cant remember the scientific name, but i think it has australus in it. I had a few. At least they look like the Australian species tongue.gif

It's always great to see the plants sprout and make the tank look lucious. How is the cory doing? Digging any substrate?

Thanks, yeh the cory was digging the substrate too much, so I decided to take out the Bronze cory, as he was doing the most damage. the robinae doesnt dig at all, so i leave him in there.

yeh those shrimps are the best! they clean up all the algae for me and dont leave as much poo as the BNs do. I wanna get more!

Agreed, I've been on the lookout for some of those shrimp but my lfs don't have any...My have to try Dural on the way home from work.

Anyone from the Hills districts know where I can find em?

Archived