Desk tank at work

novafishy

Ok, I've got some photos of my 18" desk tank at work.

Its still in the beginning stages and I shall endeavour to keep posted with photos.

Right now, its only got a 100w heater and an airstone. The filter is still getting established at home.

Plants so far include: java ferns, anubias, crypts and riccia.

Will be getting a CF light soon too.

I don't quite like it at the moment...might change the landscaping later on.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gravel isn't the best, but if you were to put a black background and sides on it, it'd make all the difference I reckon.

And I'd definitely get some dressed timber and make a little frame to go around the bottom, as Adam said.

It'll look nice when finished though thumb.gif

Guest parallel

Bravo.... clap.gif

must ask my Director if I can keep a small tank as well....

but with all my paper work on the desk I think you probably won't even find the tank.... dry.gif

Note to self....must clean up.... dntknw.gif

Yeh, i agree the gravel isn't very nice too. the rather large size of it does make the tank look smaller. But i really can't be bothered to change it over now.

I was thinking of sand, but how will plants go in a sand substrate? i assume not very well. Has anyone else done planted tanks with a sand substrate?

I will take more photos on monday

[quote.

I was thinking of sand, but how will plants go in a sand substrate? i assume not very well. Has anyone else done planted tanks with a sand substrate?

If you put some fertiliser substrate below sand, it would eventually work it's way up. It's just physics.

But aside from that, it makes plants easier to move and re arrange, but if you have a too thick substrate or too fine sand, it will compact a bit and plants may find difficulty growing roots.

A good compromise would be course sand, but personally I don't mind the gravel. It doesnt look bad, plus its easy to keep clean LOL.gif

If it was me, I would just learn to live with it. The tank is the feature, and not the gravel. How often do you here people say ooooh nice gravel! ? wink2.gif

Use pool filter sand, I use it in all my tanks from my 30l to my 840l

If you put a layer of laterite down first and then the sand, the plants will go crazy!

Here is my kitchen bench tank - I havent made any attempt to aquascape it besides sticking a couple of bunches of val and a sword in it. But I had to trim the val last week, some of the strands were over a 1 metre long!!

My Kitchen 30L tank

It was originally a holding tank for an angel I had which was being harassed in another tank, I've since moved the angle back to one of my larger tanks and this little one now contains a Golden Chinese Algea eater(the anubias plant you see I threw in to see if he would clean it up a bit for me) and a single barb which somehow ended up in a bag of feeder goldfish I was using to cycle another tank, I saved him from being the Murray Cods lunch and threw him in this small tank. I've been meaning to do something with it but am busy setting up an 840L tank at the moment sad.gif

hey hardb0iled,

do you use any other ferts in the tank?

I havent been using any, just the laterite under the sand has been more than enough for the val to go crazy and the sword sent out a few runners which I have chopped and and replanted in another tank. I have just started adding some liquid ferts the last week, as I'm trying to get some the anubias to take off. I'm using some stuff called 'Dino Pee' which I got off eBay smile.gif

Ok guys, I've taken on board advice on the gravel and have decided to change it.

Laid down some laterite, then some "gravel" which the grain is slightly bigger than sand, and has a browner look.

Also rearranged the landscape and i'm more happy with this one. It might change tho.. will be adding more rocks and plants later on.

The water is slightly cloudy due to the "sand".

What do you guys think? better or worse?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Archived