What the?

pipsqeek

Ok then, I'm starting to think aliens  confused.gif

Hmmmm.....i dont even believe in aliens.....but i cant think of another explanation.

Its juts like in the movie signs......the aliens hate water......maybe they plan on invading later in the week and dont want any weapons of mass drenching available? dntknw.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmmm.....i dont even believe in aliens.....but i cant think of another explanation.

Its juts like in the movie signs......the aliens hate water......maybe they plan on invading later in the week and dont want any weapons of mass drenching available?  dntknw.gif

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifLOL.gif We're doooooooooooooooomed!

The tank is on floor baords, but are the floorboards mounted on a concrete foundation? With the heat we've had lately and the drying of the ground, the foundation may have developed cracks resulting in a way for the water to escape. Unless it's an older house that is just floorboards above the ground - are you able to get under the house, ie. any muddy patches under where the tank is?

Any cracks where your walls meet the floor for water to drain out of.

But that still doesn't explain how the water got out of the tank in the first place...

Can the high temperatures of late effect the silicon on your tank, working along with the water pressure (although 180L isn't huge) of the tank to create a temporary leak?

Was there any power outages during the time the tank water mysteriously dissapeared?

If there are no leaks in the tank or filter plumbing, and aliens werent involved blink.gif then it could possibly have been a back syphoning incident? Is there anything that could have syphoned the water under power outage conditions or similar? Just throwing some ideas/theories around dntknw.gif

OK, this must be it. Was there any bush fires nearby????

I'm thinking "Elvis" the heavy lift fire fighting tanker/chopper stationed at Bankstown airport dropped it's pickup snorkle through an open window or door and sucked up the water. yes.gif

Yep that's it, mystery solved. woot.gif

I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of this before now! shock.gif

glenn

If it had happened on 24/12 we could have suspected a thirsty reindeer maybe dntknw.gif

Where do you keep your air pump? Above or below the water line? In a blackout the water in your tank can syphon back down the air line if you keep your pump under the tank, and having floorboards means the water might have somehow drained down under the house.

Apart from Elvis, Aliens or Reindeer I cannot think of any other way this could happen.

Where do you keep your air pump? Above or below the water line? In a blackout the water in your tank can syphon back down the air line if you keep your pump under the tank, and having floorboards means the water might have somehow drained down under the house.

Would also explain why the tank isn't loosing any water now.

The air pump has one way valves on it, to prevent that sort of thing during a blackout.

The house is raised 1 meter off the ground. I crawled under the other day to look at the dirt under it. Dry.

Iduno. weird.

pips

I don't think that aliens would fly thousands of light years to get here and then decide , hey why don't we mess with this humans mind by emptying his fish tank of water while his asleep LOL.gif

I think you just got thirsty while sleep walking tongue.gif

I don't think that aliens would fly thousands of light years to get here and then decide , hey why don't we mess with this humans mind by emptying his fish tank of water while his asleep  :lol3: 

According to The Guide, that is exactly something they might do for a laugh! laugh.gif

Speaking of ghosts, the previous occupant of a house I used to live in was haunting the place. Doors slam shut with no wind whatsoever, shower wet when we get home even though no-one used it & the taps didn't leak. We figured because he died in his sleep & didn't know he was dead, sixth sense style!

lived there for 4 1/2 years, he wasn't scary, just odd. Plus I didn't sleep in the room he died in so I wasn't too worried, that was my mother in law's problem bigsmile.gif

The LFS I work in once had a similar experience except we know why the tank emptied. A shelf collapsed and the above-tank filter moved to the left. hence the outlet was now over the floor not the tank. Throughout the night the pump steadily emptied the 1500L tank. When we came in the next morning the tank was empty but the floor was dry. dntknw.gif

We staff have decided to never mention the incident again just in case who/whatever forgot to make the floor wet realises the mistake and 1500L comes through the roof when we aren't expecting it. shock.giflaugh.gif

• 1 year later...

Talk about resurrecting an old thread.

Since then I still havent come up with an explanation as to why and how the water had emptied out.

Though a few months later, the brace that goes from the middle front to the back broke away from its silicon. I gave the tank away to a member here. I have a replacement tank, and must say, nothing like this has happened since. I still think about how it all happened to this day. In fact everytime I do a water change.

pipsqeek

Archived