Fine filtering mediums

Brayden's dad

I've never noticed anything pass through filter wool. Just how fine are your particles?

Obviously you need a fair thickness of wool. I guess particles would still get through a 10mm layer, but a good 6 inches or so should be all you need for the fine stuff.

You could think about a diatom filter... they're horrendously expensive, clog quickly but they polish the water so well.

Another alternative is to use a flocculant of some kind. Something like (cover your ears children!) Geoliquid works OK if you're just trying to get yukkies out of the water column in a hurry. One small shot, clean and clear a few hours later, but don't rely on it for anything else.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I've never noticed anything pass through filter wool. Just how fine are your particles?

Obviously you need a fair thickness of wool. I guess particles would still get through a 10mm layer, but a good 6 inches or so should be all you need for the fine stuff.

Baz,

To tell you the truth, it wasn't until I got to this site that this ever bothered me. I read on other posts where people have used sponges to filter out the fine stuff. I've formed the opinion that people do use other mediums to remove the finer particles.

If you refer to the link below, both you & trofius say the same thing. I'm just after a little more expansion on this practice, please.

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=16688&st=30

Best regards,

Troy.

you could also use an inline filter [fine paper element] made by

"Lifegaurd"

or a fluid bed sand filter, to suit the size tank in use, but you will need to increase the oxygen supply to the tank

go for a google and check these out

cheers

If you refer to the link below, both you & trofius say the same thing. I'm just after a little more expansion on this practice, please.

Hi, yes I can see why that might seem conflicting smile.gif

I use a fine sponge instead of filter wool in that setup, because the sponge can be washed and rinsed while wool needs to be replaced.

I suspect wool might do a better job, but in that setup the sponge just suits me better.

my 2c worth is.

fluidised bed filters are just for biological filtration. unless it is a sand filter were the water flows through a large container of sand and out again,

filterwool (I also use dacron from spotlight) works very well if you use a bit of it, on some of my tanks thats all i use.

i have fine foam aswell in some filters.

all of these are good at filtering, but it is very difficult top remove all the very fine particles, considering they are generated constantly in the tank by fish waste, food, and decor(substrate, rocks, logs plants) breaking down.

as mentioned a diatomateous earth filter is possibly th best for polishing the water, but rather expensive.

You could get a water filter similar to what you can get for drinking water, but these need a pretty good pressure behind them, i think. and would clog up pretty quick on a fish tank.

I would stick to the filter wool, or fine grade foam, its easier and cheaper.

Not sure what else i could add to this.

There was a discussion on removing the smaller particles from your tank a little while back and Teflon posted a filter that he made to clean his tank. It is simple and effective. clap.gif

Ducksta liked it so much he made one for his tanks. I can attest they do a fantastic job as I have since made one. If you make it so that you can move it from tank to tank you can even use it in a display tank to give your water that extra sparkle.

Water Polisher

A fluidised bed filter is ONLY a biological filter.

There is another type of filtration media, which will fit the bill for an answer to your question.

Unfortunately I don’t know what it is called….

It is sky blue in colour, exactly the same sort of construction and constancy as the good quality filter wool that you can hose out to clean, only finer.

It is sold I think by the wholesaler Aquasonic (if not them, then by Aquacenta), so log on to their web site/s, and have a look through. If you can’t find it there, give them a ring, and ask about a blue coloured filter wool used to polish water.

It will take out finer particles that the white filter wool misses, and can be hosed out and reused. I have it in my second last draw in my trickle draw filter on my new tank.

Craig

all that being so...

filter wool should get most things. I dont have any visible particles in most tanks and the finest I've got is filter wool.

Diatom filters etc will polish the water but are unnecessary most of the time. You might want to think about higher turnover (through the filter) I think that may be the problem.

HTH

Diatom filters etc will polish the water but are unnecessary most of the time. You might want to think about higher turnover (through the filter) I think that may be the problem.

Thanks Yew, but I don't have a problem....yet. I was prepared to modify my sump depending on the answers I received.

Best regards,

Troy.

While on this topic where was it that people were getting that cheap filter wool alternative? Some sort of curtain store if I remember correctly?

Spotlight. smile.gif Lincraft also.

It's blows the mind of the gals behind the counter when a fishkeeping boofhead like yours truly waltzes up to the counter with a few yards material. So now I send the gf. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

I get a big 2m by 1m fine sheet of filter wool from clarks rubber. $16

Is the curtain place cheaper? And what material?

Are you talking about Dacron?

If so you can get the same (if not more) than what you are buying now for about $4-5 from Spotlight or the like

HTH

I think the one from Clarks is treated with an anti-fungal / anti-bacterial agent...

I recall reading detail about this on the board a while back (about 18 months) from someone else who asked the salesman to check before they purchased... and yes, it's Dacron or a dacron-like material.

The materials I have bought at both Spotlight and Lincraft seem to be free of any issues. [No warranty expressed or implied, your mileage may vary, insert disclaimer here, etc.]

Cheers - OziOscar.

I get 'hobby fill' from Spotlight.

It's the stuff you find in cushions and teddy bears I am told blush.gif

It's just like filter wool and I prefer it over the sheets of dacron because I push mine down into my sidedrops in big clumps.

I get a big 1kg bag for less than $10 I think.

Well today i brought some "Polyester Wadding" from Spotlight. It cost $12.95 for 1.5m x2m of it.

Is that the right stuff to get???

And what about price.

thanks youngy

Well today i brought some "Polyester Wadding" from Spotlight. It cost $12.95 for 1.5m x2m of it.

Is that the right stuff to get???

And what about price.

thanks youngy

That's the stuff smile.gif Cut to size, give it a little rinse and squeeze out in warm water before you put into whatever filter just to get any other gunk (dust, particulate, other shoppers' greasy mit dirt, etc) out of it.

You may find it compresses after a few cleanings (in a month or three) so you can just whack a fresh layer on top of the compressed older layer. Keep doing that until it gets too thick and then strip off the bottom layer(s) - low cost moderately fine filtration. smile.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived