Fine filtering mediums

Brayden's dad

Thansk for that OziOscar.

So you are saying that the wool stuff can be washed out and put back into the filter. But after a few times of cleaning it will be to clogged up and will need to be replaced.

Thanks ryan

Hi Ryan

It clogs visually, but water still passes through it quite readily. I just give it a rinse and a wring in some clean water siphoned off from the tank - usually gets most of the gunk out.

In my experience it takes from 4 months to a year to get that bad, depending on the filter type and how much water flow there is and how much muck is making its way into the filter. eg Cannisters are about 6 months before I start changing layers, slow-flowing Jap overhead filter was about a year. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers - OziOscar.

hi Ozi,

The wool is going to be placed in a sump thats will have a flow rate of about 2000ltrs/h.

So yea every 6-12 months ill replace it probably. Its fairly cheap and does a good job anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

ryan

Well today i brought some "Polyester Wadding" from Spotlight. It cost $12.95 for 1.5m x2m of it.

Is that the right stuff to get???

And what about price.

thanks youngy

Did I get mine on special or does that sound expensive?

I think i get more then that for only $4-$6 a pop. yes.gif

There are also different grades of it.

Depending on the store you visit, you will see anywhere from 2-8 rolls of the stuff, different thicknesses, so it maybe be that you bought stuff that is only half as fat as his?

Just a thought.

Yea i think u got a better deal for sure. Mine is about 1inch think too.

No worries, it was much cheaper that what i would have to pay at my LFS.

thanks youngy

Archived