Submersible pump

teflon

Im looking at buying a new pump for my sump that will have a max head hight of 3mts +

Whats a cheap/reliable brand? and where can i purchase it?

Also could a powerhead be used??

Cheers

Adam

**EDIT** needed to add more bigsmile.gif

Why not a powerhead if they are used to output that L/H? Is it before of the height pressure of the water on them or is there another reason?

Cheers,

Toufic

I'm using a spare Sunsun 2000lph powerhead as a lift pump for my std 4' tank - it barely gets there. The 1400lph version just trickled out of the return hose with approx 1.3m head, the 2000lph PH might be getting 700lph at that height if it's lucky

get a proper submersable pump like the one Ben posted.

How much volume do you need to turn over at your head height?

Laguna pumps (the powerjet series) have a low power consumption for a fairly large volume.

Ben are you still able to get hold of these pumps?

Hey

I have used cheaper pumps and more expensive ones - like the Laguna.

It's worth spending a little more up front to get a better quality pump. My impeller on the cheaper pump broke within 6 mths. I got a laguna at the same time and it is still going strong, the flow rate has not diminished.

When the cheap one broke I had no spare impeller for it nor a backup pump. I had to rush out to the LFS and buy another one - luckily they stocked Laguna. If I hadn't been home I could of also lost a lot of fish as they had no filtration.

The cheap ones made in China WILL break it is just a matter of when, so if you do decide to get one order a backup impeller at the same time.

HTH

Grant

the rio hyperflows have a low power consumption and a decent price, but i aint sure if it is suitable for sumps, perhaps someone who has used one for sumps can fill you in.....HTH

gday

IMO its best off going for a good quality pump as parkessq said.for me it is peace of mind knowing you have something reliable.had a king 6 impeller break on me twice(haven't bothered to fix it yet)flooding my garage.yet my pond master just keeps going and doesn't lose pressure at all.spend a little extra and it will save you in the long run

regards

chris

How did a broken impeller manage to flood the garage? Sounds like your sump is too small smile.gif

Btw aren't both King and Pondmaster made at the same place? Just different branding?

wouldn't have a clue if theyre made in the same place baz.but the ceramic pole that holds the impeller is what has snapped on me twice on the king 6.as for the sump they are running on matrix s the sump is full as it is. the inlet to the tanks hangs in the water by a couple of inches so it syphons out those inches onto the garage floor

You could drill a hole in the inlet, 2 inches from the end, so the hole sits just below the surface. This would break the syphon if the tanks began to drain, saving you from a mop job each time the power goes out smile.gif

i was going to do that baz but i'm changing the whole setup a better way.i was considering putting spray bars on the inlets just to even the flow thru the entire width of the tank. what do you think?

regards

chris

tykita it will still syphon back until it can suck air, but spray bars are better i feel

as for pumps i have a king 4 does agreat job, too well even, but they are dammm noisy even in a 10mm thick sump, covered in water, in an enclode cabinet aarrrrrhhhhh. i am looking for a qieter one!

Sounds like a good plan Chris thumb.gif

I run 2 sumps here and both can easily hold any water which drains from the tanks in the event of a pump failure or blackout. It's the best way to go for peace of mind while you are asleep or at work smile.gif

Max head of three meters! That is a lot! blink.gif

And you’re worrying about how much it will cost to run! shock.gif

The first thing you need to worry about is finding a pump that can move the required water to the height you want. How much turn over you want? You should aim for three to four times per hour.

You then need to find a pump that can move that volume of water at THREE METERS of head!

As others have said, you get what you pay for, and to get a good pump, you will have to pay. Three meters is a lot of head (have I said that?) dntknw.gif .

Then you have to make sure ALL your plumbing is sufficient for this pump.

I don’t think you will have a great deal of choice, and your wattage will be what ever the above critical features match the pump.

I would be looking at Oase pumps. They make a range of pumps for pond use, and some are designed to pump water for waterfalls and thus have good head. Some models come with an extendable (from a standard 3 years) 5 year warranty, but they are expensive.

Craig

as for pumps i have a king 4 does agreat job, too well even, but they are dammm noisy even in a 10mm thick sump, covered in water, in an enclode cabinet aarrrrrhhhhh. i am looking for a qieter one!

Can't agree more. I've been using PM4200 and Resun King 4. Both are noisy. But I personally think PM4200 is better quality.

Lately my Resun's been playing up. Sometimes it shuts down for a second or two and starts again.

I've been looking for a good reliably silent pump for about 5000 l/h @ 0 head. Have been considering Laguna Powerjet 5000 & 7000 and Ocean Runner 6500. Then I came across Oase. Their price tag isn't friendly at all. I almost bought the Laguna 7000 but I said to myself what the heck I'll try the Oase.

Installed it on Saturday...hmmm i like it yes.gifwub.gif Dead silent, very smooth start, can't feel any vibration in the sump even the base of the pump doesn't have suction cups or any rubber base. BEAUTIFUL!!! I think it's comparable to Eheim pump but with bigger grunt. Oh yes, which other pump manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty including the impeller?

Good going price online is $479 for the Neptune 5000. You can get it cheaper, just haggle like I did. Your local irrigation supply should have it. Or some garden/koi centre.

Here's a few links:

Oase Homepage

Creative Pumps

Dural Irrigation

Leaf and Stone

Also consider the classic range. They're more powerful...

HTH,

DD

Archived