Large driftwood wont sink

Barca888

Hi I recently purchased a piece of driftwood roughly 2' high 4' long and have been soaking it for around three weeks in the bathtub. I noticed it was quite buoyant in the tub and hoped while it being fully submerged in the aquarium it would one day sink. One week later it hasnt budged and I am looking to remedy the situation.

Upon looking at the tank filling up I noticed at which stage it floated to the surface. The only thing that comes to mind is to drill holes into the section that caused it to float. Can anyone give me any alternatives to drilling?

In the case of drilling failing to sink it would I have grounds to return the driftwood to the aquarium shop?

ts a bit piece of wood it would take longer than id expect.though if your sure theres air pockets there it wud definitely need drilling.

a shop would lose my custom if theyd not at least give credit to its purchase price

ive not really answered your questions,though if you like that bit of wood give it time.ive seen air come out of sandstone rock a few days after i submerged it

You could try and silicon some slate to the wood, then cover the slate with gravel and rocks in your tank.

I had some wood that wouldnt sink for ages, I just tied to a rock with fishing line.

HTH

Ed.

smile.gif

dunno if it will work in this situation, but in the past with driftwood, i have boiled it, then put it in the oven - really low - for an hour or so.

but yer.. you'd need a HUGE oven to get that piece of wood in there.

drilling is an option - but i like the idea of weighting it better.

fishing sinkers might work with a bit of fishing line. I don't think the lead will be bad for the tank, but it may very well be. The reason I suggest these is cause a) they're cheap as, and b) they can add a lot of weight in a small package.

Hi Barca,

If it is a really nice piece of wood that you do not want to part with, why not throw it in a large tub, pond, swimming pool etc. over winter. It will eventually sink.

Andrea smile.gif

Is there an inconspicous place to drill? perhaps chuck sinkers in their & silicone them in?

I believe I read somewhere the oxide on the outside of the lead stops it leaching into the water?

• 1 year later...

The Necromancer strikes again!!!

I have a piece of mangrove root approx. 2-3f long and it floats. I have it precariously sunk thanks to a few well placed rocks and pots. What sort of time frame should I be expecting for the wood to become water logged?

Cheers,

T.

dont drill anything! no need to! ive had large peices like that, just takes longer to sink, trust me it will get water logged! Give it time, no need to do anything except put it in tank, give it a week or so, and it will sink.

What sort of time frame should I be expecting for the wood to become water logged?

Cheers,

T.

I've had a piece of wood that was flood debris, floating in my tank for over 30 months :lol4:

It makes a nice talking point and I'll be disappointed if and when it sinks :)

In the case of drilling failing to sink it would I have grounds to return the driftwood to the aquarium shop?

frankly, i believe the lfs could and would tell you where to go and what to do with YOUR piece of wood

you cant drill holes in it than expect the shop to take it back, cause it didn't sink!!!

this is a large piece, and depending how 'dry' and 'dense' it is, it could take many months to become water logged. either put it in a drum of water and forget about it for a few months or put it in the tank and weigh it down with a large rock or tie/glue it to a peice of heavy slate then arrange the decor to suit your tastes

hth; C

Archived