NSWCS - Who bought what?

YeW

IMO wont happen......its all about the $$$ Not saying there is anything wrong with that, costs need to be met....but at what cost.....ha ha pardon the pun 

Well thats wrong to start with,its about providing the ability for people to be able to buy and sell fish and other items. if it was about $$$ then we should reintroduce the old 15% commission instead of the current 10%.

when people order lot numbers if they said what they were for you could control the stock. Eg. when the 350th lot for crimson tides or bristlenoses are requested they should be declined.

In this case you are actually correct "it wont happen" the reason is that we cannot yet come up with a solution to the large quantities of fish such as yellows, blues and bristlenose...there are already restrictions on the number of each species per member...and besides, these fish with only a few exceptions all sell for realistic $$$ so there must still be a demand for them smile.gif .

Of course if you actually have a workable solution that wont get members noses out of joint please let the committee know about the details thumb.gif

Kevin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well im gunna say something that may be out of line here , why would you want to limit the number of a type of fish when they where selling , i can understand fully if they where passed in all the time but the yellows , blues etc where all selling and selling well

Hi Joe

The number of fish is not restricted, the number of lots are though. Here is the rule.

25. There will be a limit of 5 lots of the same item for fish and a limit of 3 lots of the same item for dry goods. This is to avoid 20 bags of 2cm convicts with 2 fish per bag; they will sell for much more if there are 8 or more per lot, as most buyers want a colony not 2 or 3 fish. For larger fish put less fish in the bag and tape them securely together (see rule 11) The same applies to dry goods, if there are 15 heaters, make up 3 lots of 5 heaters tied securely together. This rule will be vigorously enforced.

So with say 500 Yellows were to be sold by the one member s/he would be required to organise the lots into 5 of 100 fish.

thanks for that mate , that coment wasnt ment for how your limiting lots per person but for the people that are saying you should limit the number of yellows in total in the auction

Yes but who is going to miss out and how are we going to choose who misses out? By lot numbers or by who books in fish first?

Also, how would it be enforced? We'd need someone maintaining a list of all types of fish checking each bag as it came through and checking numbers off.

Logistical nightmare and something that wouldn't work unfortunately. Until we get to the point where sellers register exactly what they are selling in each lot a week before the auction, it can't be done effectively.

We seem to go through the exact same motions after every auction LOL.gif

I agree the system is not perfect, but feel that it is still a wonderful event and I look forward to the auctions each time they come around.

Joe makes a valid point... If EVERYONE in the room is so sick of these common fish coming out, why do they always sell?

If no-one wanted to buy them, breeders would end up taking their fish back home and would get the message. It's the old economics101 supply and demand rule smile.gif

I'm with couchy on this one. Well done to the committee for another successful auction and may there be many more to come!

Hi All

I am new to this forum, but have been into Cichlids for a few years.

My wife and I have been the auctions 3 times now, and we love them. We really liked the overhead pictures this time (we have not been for a couple of years so we dont know how new that idea was).

Whist we have lots of praise, we do have some suggestions as well.

Can a lot sheet be produced? So we know whats for sale and whats coming up? I would be happy to pay for it (and I image most people would) - 50c or $1 - so it will make you money as well. You have all of the info in your computer anyway.

A bit more time to look at the fish would be good. Whilst there are a lot of the same fish, not all fish are created equally, and it is definitely good to see them before you bid on them. This might also help get better bids for better fish so the comments about not getting good $ could be alleviated a bit. I know I am not comfortable bidding high on a fish I have not inspected.

We are just starting out again after almost 2 years without fish, so the auction is a great way to start the restocking process.

See you all there next time

Geoff

Geoff,

last auction there was something like 700 lots. usually the lots are being entered and are not finished until right before we start. if we were to print off list lots for those who wanted them (and trust me nearly everybody would) it would mean having to print out around 14 pages per person (assuming 50 lots per page). even if it was 100 lots per page or 7 pages that is just for one person. if there is 50 people there, then that means at least 350 pages of printing. that is a minimum. as you can see that would take considerable time to do and further delay the start. as it was the auction finished after midnight so this would further add to the finish time. great idea but I doubt its practical given the contraints we have.

as for inspection, we give an hour for inspection if possible. again we need to get all the lots in and inspected before 1pm to allow an hours inspection before the 2pm start. more inspection time would either mean people would have to get there earlier, or the auction would have to start later. the first will never happen as we already stuggle to get people there by 1. the second is the same problem as the one with printing out lots, it would just mean a later night for people.

I went to the October 2004 auction but not to the one on Saturday. I was left with the impression that it was really well organised and run (especially the overhead diagram of the fish species) but that it was a long and drawn out affair (I arrived at about 2.00pm and left at about 8.30pm and things were still selling).

The only disappointment was the fact that the majority of lots were common malawis. That is not to say that they aren't great to buy if you want a breeding colony etc but my interest is in Tanganyikan's in particular and the only common lots of those available were cyprochromis.

It would be great for someone like me if fish were categorised as Malawi, Tangs, South American and catfish etc and sold in blocks. Having said that I appreciate the amount of work done and this might just be another indulgence.

If it is a toss up between buying a rarer Tang and sitting in the hall for 6.5hrs hoping against hope that a specific lot is going to pop up I would probably just head down to LFS and pay a premium for the fish I want.

realistically, then I think the auction is a great success and that people looking for "rare" fish must understand that their chances of picking up something cheap are, like a lottery, always going to be small.

Regards

David

clap.gif Again the events are very well organised and i am dreaming thinking that we could limit what is up for sale. Now half the buyers are new to the hobby so are gonna buy what they've heard/read about. Which are gonna be the fish we see over and over. It's supply and demand which is fine. i would sell gold fish if i knew buyers were gonna be there for them. If you want to sell something rare let people know before hand on this forum for example. Buyers will be ready with $$$. Another problem i saw was that some fish (including rare fish) didn't have photos which would really help buyers if they didn't view before bidding. If you want to sell something rare check that there is a photo in the galleries if not post one perhaps. I did get there too late for viewing this time so was a little hesitant about over bidding. At the Oct auction i wrote down 10+ lots i really wanted and when they came up i got them at any price almost. My other criticism would be of stickybeekers or sellers, i sat behind 6 or so people marking off thier lots on paper as they came up. Not one of them bid once on anything. Its fine for people to watch but if you're not there to bid MOVE TO THE BACK SO BUYERS CAN GET A BETTER VIEW mad.gif especially in an over crowded hall. Cheers Couchy>>> thumb.gif

I liked Chris's comment to the buyer when the first bag of goldfish sold:

"Now stand up so we can all see your face!"

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

hi

sorry Gav, but i'm with Geof on this one. i do realise that a copy of 'lot no.' for all would be a logistical nightmere. but i have long advocated along the same line.

i'm there from the first lot to the 1000th [plus] just hoping to 'win the lottery'[waiting for tangs]. surely, 1 list could be printed off, and placed on display.

trying to view the bagged lots beforehand is almost impossible.

some tangs did come up, but only 1 or 2 in the bag, if i had some of the species already, and looking for a couple more, yes that's ok. but if i'm looking to build a colony 1 or 2 is no good, but if i know there is more lots to come up then it's all go.

this would lead to better prices as well.

i did hear [on the jungle drums] that there was some occies 'in there' sure enough in due time some speciosus emerged, only too be sold for a pittance, i'm sure the owner would have gone home and slit his wrists. but, a bargain for some one.

latter on, half asleep [been a long day] i heard the mention of occie's, looked at the overhead screen, yes!! a bag of 'silvers' i chased them all the way, got 'em.

went out to pay for my prize, three 'golds' and all males, to boot. dissapointed?

you bet!. oh well, maybe an out cross. thats my only whinge.

overall, again, a tough job, done well by all involved!!

Hi all,

I always enjoy the auctions.But one thing which I would not miss is the dry goods,especially the lumps of wood people find on the side of the road to sell.I would prefer to see more fish & have people sell second hand tanks,etc through the buy/sell format of the general meetings.I believe that the committee does achieve the best results for everyone, buyers & sellers.I just wish I had more space as even though there was the usual bread & butter , there was also plenty of variety.This is just my opinion, anyway I hope everybody enjoys their new fish as this is the whole reason we keep fish as a hobby,Isnt it?

Paul

Hi there,

We are joining in a bit late.

I wanted to get a lot of things, but always someone outbid me by a few dollars.

I missed out on P. steveni "Taiwan Reef"

Some nice rocks

and a pair of Neolamprologus buescheri cryblow.gif

I got some Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Reginae" (funny, later on I found out that they were Aline's).

I took a day off on Monday, just to catch up with some sleep.

Roland

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I'm back again, i wanted an adult Venustus male sad.gif (didn't get), a pair or colony of Kandango Reds thumb.gif (got a pair) some C Afra bigsmile.gif (got 5 young but male didn't make it through the night), wanted some mid sized blue dolphin moorii mad.gif (none there). most of all i wanted Flavus to breed-fry or adults but i only got a larger male.

I was very interested in the bristlenose (i think) that were 4 for $160. I'm unsure of the variety. I would like to get some down the track. Who sells them and what were they called?

Cheers Couchy>>> raisehand.gif

They are simply known as Albino bristlenose. There is a large thread on them in the catfish forum.

I almost bought them (at $160 you are not going to get them any cheaper at the size), but I have a breeding size pair that I'm trying to breed so I couldn't justify it sad.gif

I probably should have bought them, because if I bought more to grow up to breed, the ones I have now would have bred for sure laugh.gif

They were albino bristlenose thumb.gif

A copy of lot listings on display might help you know what is coming, but it wouldn't help knowing when it was coming through? As it's all random. And if you weren't there ALL day like Col, you wouldn't know what had been and what was to come.

And I still reckon Col would sleep through most of the Tang's. LOL.gif

I think it would help buyers to have the lots listed and available, but I think then they would need to change too much for the seller's, they would need people to compile a list of what they are selling prior to the actual auction, so the data can be entered and a list printed well in advance, and to be any real help - IMO - the list would have to be ordered in the same order the fish will be sold, making it near impossible for the runners and the scrutineers to make sure everything is bagged and sold the way you said it would be last week.

not sleeping Ducky, just checking out the road maps inside the eye lids matey dry.gifwink.gif by the time i got fish put away, that was a 23hr day. blink.gif

once all the lots are in, would it take a lot of changes to project that info up on the screen? untill the auction started, then we would know what was there and take down lot numbers. sounds all easy to me, but i know nothing of pc's

Archived