NSWCS - Who bought what?

YeW

Sorry Mike but you are wrong.

Whilst demasoni have held their value for the past year at $20 - $25 a fish they have dropped from the original fry price of $30-$45 each that they were going for two and a half years ago.

Their mouthfuls are conmeasurate to other small mbuna at around 20 fry per brood and they often spit more than my saulosi and elongatus, nor does their rate of growth seem inordinately slower than them.

Ducksta, Little Swimmer, myself and a few others are selling them interstate and filling orders locally with no problem at all smile.gif .

IMO the reason most of the demasoni fry at auction did not reach a suitable monetary value was that they were ridiculously small or not that great in quality - oh yes i had a look at them.

Just direct all those enquires my way - happy to help yes.gif

Aline

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason the demasoni went so cheap was because 4 out of 5 lots were single males.

Spare males, especially regarding aggressive fish, are worth next to nothing. I used to give away my spare flavus males for free.

I didn't see any good size juveniles, but I'm sure a lot of 1 male and 4 females at 4-5cm would have fetched well over $100 (and a lot more than that privately).

Hi All

I picked up a few fish to stock my tank, im not a breeder just love cichlids i could watch them all day bigsmile.gif

My best buys ( i think personally)

VC10 male i believe he was between $15 -18 (had him rebagged so i don't remember the exact price)

and a large (he is bigger than my hand) Dimidiochromis compressiceps for $26.

Who ever had him before me great fish, I'll take care of him thumb.gif he can have all the live food he can swallow.

cheers

leah

Not being able to attend yesterdays auction i am wondering what went yesterday. woot.gif

Seems like the formula was the same as the last. Ducksta you hit it on the head when you said 'these auctions are only for the bargain hunters not wanting to spend much money, the 'rarer' stuff stayed at home'. I'll bet the good stuff would not have earned their proper value. Half the people woud probably not know what they are.

hey guys

yeh i found it be a bit of a cycle

i am abit sick of hearing the words electric and a bit sick of the colour yellow

apart from that was fun for a first time

I felt the same way last time....i thought i was going to hit someone if i heard those words again....mind you it was 11pm & i had been there for ~5hrs.

Shame really when you think about it...to me this concept works in opposite to the reason i joined the NSW cichlid society....to get into all things cichlid. I am told that the mini auctions are better for variety in lots. Never the less the day im sure was organised and run in a fantastic manner considering the amount of fish.

BTW......what Americans were for sale....can anyone tell me?

well for most of us that came down from newcastle this auction was a first , we enjoyed it but the electric words where getting to us in the end , 4 of us did stay till then end , so from 12 till when it was over we where there ,

i ended up getting a mixed bag of acei , Dimi comps and strigartus , a couple of differant peacocks and a pair of convicts ,

was an interesting auction. nothing really unusual there. its certainly NOT the place to sell anything new or not well known people just wont pay money at auction for quality uncommon fish.

there was some fantastic quality stuff there, some of the yellows were outstanding. lots of other nice fish here and there. got myself a nice gibbi that Andy took along, and a nice colony of tropheops chilumba that someone took. highlight of the night was seeing my mate lungy from brisbane who claimed to have come down for the auction but stayed less than an hour. methinks mardi gras was on his mind wink.gif. lowlight was the pathetically small and sorry demasoni that went through. anyone that is THAT desperate for money that they sell fry THAT small is seriously in fish for ALL the wrong reasons. it is simply absolutely and totally disgusting in my view.

all up though a great night. congratulations to Andreas and Anthony for a fantastic job setting up the PC's which worked beautifully well all day and made everything run smoothly.

Hey hey Dave,

Yep going a bit Tropheus insane atm....must be the thought of all that space in the new fish room that will hold lots of yummy 6 footers thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .

No real rare stuff on the agenda unless Nigel and co have some success in getting them in thumb.gif .....but I am always after quality of what is out here at present. I have noticed a steady decline in what I view in LFS and on the forum at times.

Gav....I couldn't save them all (demasoni).

and a nice colony of tropheops chilumba that someone took

Am I reading right....someone took them??

Aline

BTW......what Americans were for sale....can anyone tell me?

I dont know if there was any Americans bought or sold at all, unfortunately this is one of the reasons I dont goto the main auctions ( and because its in the sticks haha) there is def more african lovers than Americans esp at the major auctions

Americans that I saw (remembering I was outside alot of the time early on)severums

Green Terrors

discus

angelfish (wild)

some eartheaters, cant remember all the types, but I think some rio tocantin(sp?) made their way through.

festivums

jags

some SA dwarves went through I am about 80% sure rolleyes.gif

convicts

parrots

neets

Thats off the top of my head dntknw.gif

They certainly weren't there in any big number (like electric yellows and bristlenose) but there was enough to keep the american lovers on their toes at times.

there is def more african lovers than Americans esp at the major auctions

That's because the african lovers all make the effort to go, while some of the american lovers seem to prefer staying home and then complaining about how few american lovers bother to turn up LOL.gif

GS perhaps you need to lead by example and get along more. Drum up some positive interest instead of talking about how few of you there are. I think if you turned up and looked around, met a few people, you might be surprised smile.gif

I'm sure if more American keepers made sure they got lot numbers, and sold just americans, there would be more American enthusiasts start to turn up, as they could expect some good Americans to go through.

Hi Guys -

There were in my opinion a few issues with the scrutineering. It could have been done better - but we are getting better at it IMHO. There's ALWAYS going to be fish that get through scrutineering that shouldnt. There's 1000 lots and 6 scrutineers wink.gif. Mistakes happen though thankfully fairly infrequently (there were perhaps 8-10 errors in the 1000 lots).

Just so everyone knows I rejected some small parrots, as they were in my opinion, to small to be sold (at around 4mm in length). I also let the small demasoni through to auction (I'm talking about the fish in Aline's pics).... They were probably not big enough to sell - but I thought they stood a reasonable chance of making it through the process and as such I let them through.

As for bargains - yes, there were plenty. I dont think either party in the Duck vs Mike arguement/discussion in this thread is entirely correct. Sometimes fish go at auction for a price close to retail - sometimes they are a steal. It really depends on who's present and interested!!

There were some rare americans there also (the wild-type angels Pterophyllum scalare "dumerilii"), Mesonauta festivus and some rare Geophagus "surinamensisy" things. There were also some rarer tangs such as Lepidiolamprologus profundicola and Lamprlogus ocellatus 'Black' up for grabs!

smile.gifmad.gif Well firstly i have to agree and disagree with some things said. Now i and other people would pay good money for what we wanted, anything that wasn't a Crimson Tide, White Tailed Acei, Elec B or Y, Bristle, Hongi etc. did get good money. I payed $34 for a good size Flavus near the end of the night, firstly because i really wanted some and secondly i had lots of money left as i didn't see a lot of the things i wanted.(Andy next time you are giving away spares call me) The two auctions last year did have a lot more variety and i spent a lot of money at each event and there was a lot of competition for bidding. I was getting started as a breeder setting up a fish room from scratch and it was a great way to get some good stock.

clap.gif Congratulations to the committee for all thier hard work, i don't agree with all the criticisms i've read. I do have some suggestions though, when people order lot numbers if they said what they were for you could control the stock. Eg. when the 350th lot for crimson tides or bristlenoses are requested they should be declined. Also people could write the size on them selves, i payed one of the highest prices for Maingano fry they were quoted at 4+cm x6 they are actually closer to 2.5 but thats part of the experience. I don't expect 3 or 4 people to check 1000+ lots especially for size but breeders should hold fry for longer if they're undersized. One of my best buys came after losing out 3 times in a row on bristleys a man approached me and gave me his number and a lot cheaper price. It may be a good idea to wear name tags so people can put faces to names.

Lastly i bought 5 small C Afras (1m 4f) the male didn't make it through the night and i would like to replace him and get more??? Anyone??

Well done to all at NSWCS thumb.gif

when people order lot numbers if they said what they were for you could control the stock. Eg. when the 350th lot for crimson tides or bristlenoses are requested they should be declined.

IMO wont happen......its all about the $$$ Not saying there is anything wrong with that, costs need to be met....but at what cost.....ha ha pardon the pun LOL.gif

Well done to all at NSWCS

Thanks Couchy.

There is a lot of preparation and many many hours on the day.

I am glad that there are some that understand the effort that goes into making the day a success for all.

It is definately luck of draw as to the lots that come through. In all fairness, IMO it would not be fair to refuse entry due to sameness of prior lots. We already limit the amount of lots per species for each individual, and further restrictions may create a different set of circumstances not necessarily beneficial to the day.

The March auction was one of the best attended in a couple of years. Each major auction generates similar comments as to repetitive lots and the need for more variety and rarity. It is not marketed as a rare fish auction but a cichlid one.

If more breeders would be willing to bring not so common stock, then we could move towards the type of auction most of the posts here indicate they want. However the buyers would need to understand that the prices would also reflect the species smile.gif

Yellows, bristlies, crimson tides, acei et al are the bread and butter fish of the hobby and will always fill the bulk of the day. It is up to ALL to change the content.

I met more individuals yet again, and put faces to names. I helped out a few newbies and learnt some things myself. I bought a bit, sold a bit,

ate hot dogs dry.gif laughed a lot and met a couple of fools - all in all a good day thumb.gif .

Cheers

Aline - Membership Officer

I dont think we should ever limit the amount of a particular species. it may be painful to sit there and listen to the same thing over and over, its certainly better than being the one trying to sell it, and sell it for a good price. I would love to see more variety, but fish has been the same forever. things go in and out of fashion, and what everybody was chasing at auctions a year or 18 months ago, is now in overabundant supply. a perfect example of that is dimi comps, they were everywhere on saturday night.

I also can't blame people for not taking along the more uncommon stuff. in the last 4 auctions, almost without fail when stuff very very new to the country comes up it is met with blank faces, closed wallets and no response. the auctioneers try and push it and nobody wants a bar of it. often the stuff is going at under half what it goes for at shops and still no bites. I can fully understand why people with the very uncommon stuff leave it at home, because even if they took it along it would still very likely end up going back home with them. it just saves them a whole lot of bagging. i think the mood at the auctions has been set for the bread and butter common stuff simply because nobody wants to spend the money the rarer stuff seriously deserves.

Archived