NSWCS - Who bought what?

YeW

I bought a bag of V. moorii which I am very happy with smile.gif.

There were some nice fish there, highlights for me were:

Lepidiolamprologus profundicola adult

V. moorii

Some C. sterbai which went through but I didnt win sad.gif

There were some fantabulous peacocks (my favourites: A. kandeensis & A. maylandi).

Two drunks boys who showed up at 12 wanted to know firstly if goldfish or "nemos" were available.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a very good auction.

I walked away with 6 female crimson tides and 1m 3f Petrotlapia chitimba adults from the auction (all for $26!). I also must thank Aussie for bringing up 5 very nice phenochilus girls from Bruce in Melbourne for me thumb.gif

Other than that I met Nick and picked up a breeding size pair of P. polleni, and took home some msobo and crimson tide girls from Jess & Julian.

All up a great day. 10 of us came down from the Newcastle area for it, and I think we all came away with lots of goodies wink.gif

Dave I would have snatched those V. moorrii from right under you if I hadn't realised who I was bidding against. I decided i didn't want them that badly, and I wasn't going to buy fish rolleyes.gif

I won $100 auction credit in a raffle. The first time Aline sold me a winner dntknw.gif I had to buy stuff then. Do you think mum believes I just bought raffle tickets to support the club? Nope...

I ended up buying a bag of 8 Tropheops - whoever sold them has a way with elastic bands, which was made worse by the fact it was about 2am when I was trying to open the bag woot.gif

I also bought a pair of severums, which were much bigger than the auctioneer suggested bigsmile.gif Where the hell am I meant to put them?

I didn't intend to spend much if anything at all. But.....:

I bought an Ehiem 2236 for a mere $130

a few Resun 300w heaters for winter for a mere $14 each

bought a bag of 5 Pseudotriopheus aurora breeding size fish 1m and 4f for $30 blink.gif (they are nice ones too).

Couldnt belive that popular fish like demasoni were priced like trash. Males couldnt even fetch $15 from what i remember and fry was going for way way way below normal price

I did notice that Cuckoo cat fish did sell quite well and fetched around what i consider market price for them ($5/cm), as well as BN,yellows,blues,crimson tides,red empress, rolleyes.gif all those repeatitive lots no2.gif

thumb.gif Hi All

well, I think I can speak for all the Canberrans who came up (six of us that I know of), when I say it was a fantastic day. Man, to organise an event of this scale must be tough work - and so congratulations to all those who organised clap.gif Considering the complexity of the task, everything went amazingly smoothly. I also thought that the participants were very well behaved and friendly.

It was also great to put some faces to the names (hi Waz, Yew, Ducksta and Chipimbi).

Regarding the fish I bought, I was after Tangs. I scored a pair of Yew's Neolamprolugs cylindricus. They look like great fish, and despite Yew's warning, they haven't wrought destruction upon their co-inhabitants (yet! smile.gif ).

I also picked up some Julidochromis marlieri. I'd be interested to know whose these were. They were the 2nd lot of these for the day and sold at about 8:45pm. Again, they look like nice fish.

Also, Waz warned me that I need more female Rostratus, so I obligingly purchased a bag of three.

All up, it cost me about $70, for eight quality fish bigsmile.gif

Oh, and by the way, I took some pics, enjoy.

Michelle and Laurie unpacking their fish for sale with Alex and Trevor looking on

user posted image

Bag inspection time. For those who weren't there, this is just a tiny proportion of the lots for sale... but it gives you an idea

user posted image

Talk about hi-tech woot.gif

user posted image

The auction in process, poetry in motion.

user posted image

BTW, I should warn you that members of the the Canberra and District Aquarium Society Committee did some serious plotting on the way back. We are planning a CDAS raid to one of your meetings later in the year. We're planning on combining it with Aquarium shop tour. See you soon thumb.gif

Richard

Mike, it's an auction mate. People go there stickybeak and get a bargain, not spend big dollars. Which is why lots of 'rarer' stuff stays at home. They couldn't even get wholesale value for albino bristley's. And how about those tanks, I rang around asking everybody I knew if they were interested in them, because I hated to see them passed in at the price. dry.gif

As for what the market rate on demasoni is, I guess it depends on size. Some of the fish that went through would have only hatched yesterday morning I am sure. dntknw.gif

My 1 criticism is the auctioneers guesstimates on sizes. Some of those 7cm bristlenose looked alot like the ones I sell at 4-5cm, and I saw a bag of my fry where the size was massively overstated. I wanted to shout out and say they were no more than 3cm (in fact the biggest was only just on 3cm), but they were called at 'easily 4cm'.

IMO though, apart from a few lots that reached (ridiculously) high prices, it was a buyers night.

What I can never understand though, is why people put a reserve on a lot, if they then allow it to sell below that reserve? Is there some kind of reasoning behind it?

Well i scored an altifron for $11... I was rather pleased... And then i left and stotto told me another one went for $5... I could just about cry right now...

But all in all, Very happy with my little purchase, and it was my first time and i really enjoyed it smile.gif

Too true, John, I was looking forward to hearing the auctiuoneer saying 'This fish is new to the country, its a pseudo elongatus '?????'' but it just didnt happen. I suppose, if some one had a fish like that, they wouldnt bother trying to scape thru market price at the auction and just sell it to Mr/Mrs X for a nice price bigsmile.gif *ching ching*

Sitting there from beinning to end every time you hear 'ok got 2-3cm bristlies, 10 of them start me off at $14' made me personally roll my eyes rolleyes.gif (this dosent mean that i didnt enjoy the auction or dislike BN - its just hard to sit thru with all the repetions without getting agitated) I can appreciate how hard it must be to be an auctionner and try and flog these items off each time, as they too must get just a little bit bored of the same item over and over.

thats 4fter was a gorgeous tank, i was tempted to buy it myself just becuase it look real nice, but i realised i had no way of getting it home or even nowhere to put it, if i could get it delivered.

was also looking forward to betting some below market peppermint fry but they didnt come round.

BUT, got an eheim 2236 that Auburn Aqauriums was selling for $199 in their supersale, for $130. Somebody mentioned in passing that it was even below cost price. Gotta be happy with that. LOL.gif

Slotto, I think that demasoni that you bought might have been mine. Maybe i'll revise my demasoni selling at future auctions cryblow.gif

Gday all,

The Sev's that ducksta got were mine, very good fish indeed, and very very cheap, and i was the one who got the Altifron for $5( but it was only 1 small one the other was dead,) and i also got two large ones for $35 and $44,

Thanx

Richard

Hey hey,

Exhausted and tired even after a few hours of sleep........ blink.gif takes me a while to recover these days.

As for what the market rate on demasoni is, I guess it depends on size. Some of the fish that went through would have only hatched yesterday morning I am sure
wink.gif

John, as tired as I was I took a digital shot of the fry in the bag as they warmed up in the tank and set a ruler against the shot (will post it later have no time at present) 8mm was the measurement. If not spat yesterday morning then at the very least only a short while before, these little guys were heads and tails a couple of days ago LOL.gif Disappointed.

With some TLC they will get to be bigger - which was the reason I bought them - to give them a better chance at survival.

Cheers

Aline

John, as tired as I was I took a digital shot of the fry in the bag as they warmed up in the tank and set a ruler against the shot (will post it later have no time at present) 8mm was the measurement. If not spat yesterday morning then at the very least only a short while before, these little guys were heads and tails a couple of days ago  Disappointed.

OH Aline,

How do fish that size get through scrutineerng? I bought a male for $9. He was about 5cm but He's not a very nice fish. You wim some and lose some dntknw.gif I hope you newly aquired hatchlings do well.

Hi Guys,

How do fish that size get through scrutineerng?

These guys came too the table I was on had a stupid reserve of $70 on the bag at first until George and myself told him are you joking.

George and I looked at each other and we both shook our heads. We even told him he was kidding and told him to go see Anthony or Chris to get some direction.

Myself-Chris and George agreeded they shouldn't be in the auction. Dont know what happened then but was told by the member it was ok to put them in after he seen one of the committee.

Some of us are only helpers to ease the burden of the committee on the big day. We dont make the decisions only direct people to see one of the committee members to make a decision.

Im not placing the blame on anyone as it is a very hectic day and the committee are very busy trying to orginise alot of stuff other then fish.

HTH

Brett

How do fish that size get through scrutineerng?

Howdy ,they got through scrutineering because we do not have a policy on freshly stripped fry (yet) and I can not ever remember having to deal with this situation in the past! common sense usually prevails.

The seller was spoken to at length by several scrutineers in regard to the size and the rediculous reserve, which was changed to no reserve.

You may also have noticed as to the way in which the fish were presented by the auctioneer...which left no possible chance of any misunderstanding in regard to selling this size fry .

Regards Kevin

These little guys were the ones that went for $8?

I be the seller was a bit dissapointed they didn't quite reach the desired original reserve laugh.gif

I have no problem with the scrutineers. The quality is so much better these past couple of years when they've been cracking down on quality of fish and bagging.

I must say however, that some of the "older" committee members (not mentioning any names) should learn to either ask some more info about the bagging process or pull their heads in. One member told me I needed to split up 8 foai because the bag was too crowded. The bag was a tall square bottm bag with 1/5 water and 4/5 100% oxygen. The water was 50% fresh and 50% tank water and prime and stresscoat had been added. The fish had been fasted for 48 hours. Those fish would have survived for 4 days in that bag laugh.gif

There were several cases of two large fish (usually 1m 1f) in single bags that should have been pulled up and split into separate bags (and definitely not put into a single bag in the beginning). A couple didn't even make it to the start of the auction. There was a lovely looking rostratus boy dead before 2.30pm cryblow.gif

I got one kingseizi male for 11$ ( gavs one)

I got a free Aurora male from Mike

I got 6 Ps Acei Msuli for 10$ from aline and matthew

I got 5 free Ps Acei Ngara of Colfish

I got a free ride from Gav

Good day for me smile.gif

As promised earlier. The fry I rescued last night.

I originally said about 8mm after a few coffees I will amend to 1cm blink.gif

The fry in the tank are 3 days old so that will give all an indication of size.

I am sorry that I missed the other bags as I was soooo busy most times on the door rolleyes.gif or I would have brought them all home.

user posted image

Cheers

Aline

sounds like there were some great bargains, i would have loved to have gotten hold of some demasoni, they still retail for $35 down here for fry and thats not retail.

A couple didn't even make it to the start of the auction. There was a lovely looking rostratus boy dead before 2.30pm 

Just so people dont misunderstand you Andy...the Rostratus male was in a seperate bag to the female when it died...we guess that it may have come out of a reef system and died from oxygen depletion..or died from some other unknown reason (it happens especially with larger fish)

My personal standing is that all adult or sub adult fish should be seperatly bagged and I have have had many discussions on this exact subject...just because fish can exist happily in a tank does not mean they will do the same when shoved into a bag together.

Kevin

Hey hey Sarah,

I was only mentioning yesterday how happy I am that these fish have made a comeback considering that they have been off the scene for so long. They are still holding their value, I have not had to sell cheaper than $20 and still have orders to fill at that price. Hopefully over the next few months the price will drop (yes drop) so that many more can enjoy these feisty little demons.

Ring me 0404 485 449 when you are ready to own some (demasoni) happy to do a deal for an old friend who we miss at our gatherings thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Cheers

Aline

Hi Aline

i didnt mean anything by it, i thought just maybe the price had dropped for them in Sydney, im coming with my 3 boys in 19 days and counting laugh.gif , but i dont think i will be able to manage taking fish back on the flight sad.gif . Thanks though .

cheers

Sarah

JMO here, i dont reckon the price has dropped of demasoni in syd at all. Sure a few were sold rediculously cheap at the auction - but thats auctions for ya. Until people with sizeable breeding colonies are established in other states, people will still need to sourse their fish from syd. Also, they have small broods compared to other fish and grow really slowly for a pseudo.

Ive had people from other states desperate to get their hands on some and I tried desperately to get some for them because mine were all to small. It seems that demand still far exceeds supply everywhere execpt for auction.

You also have to take into account that heaps of other fish cant get wholesale prices at auction too. Doesnt mean the proce will drop. Even the auctioneers were saying about other fish that you can buy them tonight (at the auction) and sell them to a fish store for triple the amount the next day.

Furthurmore, supply/demand of a group of 200/250 people does not represent 'market price' either.

wub.gif

Archived