Zebra Pleco's

mangrove jack

How much longer do we have to wait till this fish is on the legal import list? I'd love to have a few, but I' not paying big $$$$ for them.

Most of the people who do have them and are breeding them in Australia, then selling them, only see it as big $$$$. What happened to the love of keeping ornamental fish.

scratch.gif Mangrove Jack

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can hope but i dont think it will happen sadsmiley02.gif

If its going to happen it needs to be done before the new laws come in, how long that will take nobody knows, typical govt proceedure..

I heard on the grapevine that the CSIRO had their summit meeting in Adelaide 2 weeks ago.

From what ive heard they want to have a list of fish "Scientific names with common names" and anything not on that list will incur heavy penalties.

It just bugs me how fisheries and other dept's keep comming up with ideas they just cant police instead of working with the industry and hobbiest.

Here is a email reply to a question I emailed to the department of environment & heritage of concerning the draft report assessing the impact of 10 ornamental fish which includes royal plec, zebra plec and frontosas and more. I also posted this on the queensland forum.

Hi Eric

Thank you for your interest in the draft report assessing the risk of

importing 10 species of ornamental fish into Australia. At this stage,

the Department of the Environment and Heritage is still receiving

comments on the draft report. Once the period for consultation has

ended, the Minister for the Environment will assess the report, comments

received from stakeholders and any other relevant information collated

by the Department. Using all of this information, the Minister will

make a decision on whether to allow the import of any or all of the 10

fish species dealt with in the draft report. However, with the calling

of the election, it is most likely that the incoming Minister for the

Environment will be responsible for making the decision, ie sometime

after the election has been conducted.

Should the incoming Minister decide to allow any of these fish to be

imported into Australia, the fish will be added to the live import list

that was established and is maintained under the Environment Protection

and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. Schedule 6 was maintained under

the Wildlife Protection Act, which was repealed in January 2002. All of

the fish that were listed on Schedule 6, are now listed on either Part 1

or Part 2 of the live import list.

Animals on Part 1 of the live import list do not require a permit from

the Department of the Environment and Heritage to be imported into

Australia, animals on Part 2 of the live import list do require a permit

from the Department of the Environment and Heritage before import of

these species is allowed. All live fish imports require a permit from

the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service before being allowed

into Australia.

If you have any further questions on this application or the process to

amend the live import list, do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Alexa

Alexa Ryhorchuk PhD

Trade Communication and Live Imports

Department of the Environment and Heritage

GPO Box 787

CANBERRA ACT 2601

Ph: 02 6274 1242

Fax: 02 6274 1105

email: alexa.ryhorchuk@deh.gov.au

this is the draft report here http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-u...ental-fish.html

• 4 weeks later...

What is unbeleivable about these little cutties they say EASY TO BREED yeah right I do not beleive anyone, not only in Australia, in the whole world has bred a one of these critters. Sorry to be a killjoy but need to see proof not written reports. Anyone can take what a bristlenose catfish does and apply it to the

H zebra to royal panaque Gibbeceps all types of plecos etc etc . Untill there is real proof I will never believe they have been bred in captivity. breed panaques they are just as easy to breed . YEAH RIGHT.

Hi Hypo,

I dunno where u got this info from

she got rid of the zebras not long after
. To me, it looks to be legitimate.

Here're some more info:

http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article28.htm

http://www.zebrapleco.com/index.htm

If you don't believe what's written it's entirely up to you. I'm not trying to covince you of anything. I haven't even seen one in flesh.

Why do so if they are breeding every 20 days especially what the young are worth???

Why don't you ask her yourself? Her email is on the website...

Peace,

DD

Hypo,

They only pull rediculous prices in Australia. In NZ Gold nuggets retail around the $100 mark, try and get them in Aus under a grand.

Back in June this year David Kosak included in correspondense to me " i picked up some F1 L46 zebras today...8 of them....I got these for a steal, at 3/4 of an inch...like just over $30 Canadian each...." He even inluded pic with the email.

Another correspondent in Germany has 18 pair of Zebras breeding and is getting 20 Euro each for young from the LFS's. (He calls them his money printing machines)

There is no point comparing overseas prices with what we have to pay in australia. The only plecos that are a reasonable price here are those being bred in LARGE numbers.

70 Quid in England http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3756

$75 in California http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2875

Alan

Zebras are bred in singapore I know that for a fact. Alan is correct, the prices are expensive in Australia. In Malaysia, the gold nugget is $40AUS, the tank bred zebras sell here for $120AUS which is fairly cheap I think.

What makes everybody so sure they haven't been bred here? Maybe someone is flogging them all as illegally imported and pretending he is taking a life threatening risk tackling AQIS and actually mass-producing them in his backyard? Maybe he/she is only releasing a small number of fry in order to continue demanding the massive prices? Maybe...

Maybe the changing weather in Australia makes it difficult to breed them compared to many countries. Well, thats what i believe. It may take a few months for a pair to be ready to breed then the weather starts to go from cold to hot in in a month or two. This might put the fish off condition for breeding. In countries like Singapore, the weather is quite constant yearly(warm) with lots of rainfall and this is why there is many tank bred zebras, i beleieve they are easily conditioned there.

of1o

Well I have to admit everyone has given very inteligent and feasable theories but no real proof has been produced.

Fact 1 I emailed the new zealand lady years ago response Sold my zebras.

Fact 2 South American Gov allows 2 months a year to collect zebs and sell.

Fact 3 natives collect fish, Very Very Cheap,

Fact 4 Have seen a colony of 9 ages between 3 to 6 years old every technique was used as per reports by these BREEDERS results 1 dead fish. Fish was disected to see what sex it was so as to help sex others, as soon as scalpell was put to vent out popped a bunch of eggs. So does this mean we can get fish to egg up but lack the stimuli to spawn and thus die eggbound. Conclusion I still do not believe they are breedable in tanks.

All up l know the where abouts of about 27 zebras in Australia(that l have actually seen) in groups of three to groups of 12, ages from 2 years to 6+ years yet no fry.

The same people own many other fish and breed them all yet are frustrated by various attempts to breed these fish with no fry, possibly of1o you could go to Hypos private e-mail address and help him to prove himself wrong? clap.gif

Hypo,

In the 50 odd years that I have been keeping fish, all sorts of wonderfull things have happened.

When I was a teen, Angels were impossible to breed !!!

Then it was neons, impossible to breed !!!

In the seventies it was Discus that had everyone stumped !!!

Around the same time bristle nose were impossible, and plecos !!!

In 1994, before the internet and the WWW, I saw Zebras in the flesh, here in Australia.... a pair with 18 fry!!!!! Yes , just 2 years after they had been discovered in Sth America, they were here via Germany. Adult fish imported and bred.

There are a lot of cluey fish keepers out there who never visit the net or publish, or advertive what they are doing. Still the old "Trade secret thing"!!!!!

I do not agree with that ethic, With my Uni and Science background, I believe in sharing knowledge for the benifit of all.

If I know it for fact I'll share the knowledge.

Alan

Archived