Zebra Pleco's

mangrove jack

Over four years ago i visited Sue & Craig's fish room in N.Z, i saw their whole breeding set up of Zebra pleco's (L046), video footage & even a jar full of baby zebra's in formalyn (?). Very nice People too.

The zoo in Berlin has a large public aquarium section with several very large tanks, in one tank there was Zebra pleco's with young of all differnt ages.

Good Luck thumb.gif J.T.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think maybe the reason that zebras haven't been bred in Aust is two fold.

firstly last time I saw them sold here in Aust, about a month ago they were $950 a pop, i guess many people could not afford one let alone a pair.

secondly these fish like the company of each other so maybe you need 6 or more fish (second mortgage anyone?) and it all goes back to the price not many people I know are willing to part with a few thousand dollars on the off chance that they might breed.

in NZ they are dirt cheap, I was reading on another forum that they had a special at one of the shops $7.50 each (and no, the guy didn't bring any back in his shorts. wink.gif

just my 2c

HaY Boots hows things ....!!!

Maybe we should ask BT LOL

Anyway yes we are missing something I reckon... tongue.gif

We do have numbers in Aus and fish are being held by some good aquaristss

Maybe its weather/water etc

But good news a friend of a friend has had some luck with his/hers LOL ohmy.gif

Not many at first but in time i reckon 2nd and 3rd gen will make em easier to breed etc

So unlesssss they get onto this round of imports will be many years B4 we get good supply in Aus...

A good $ today to pay for em is around $500 over that i think its a bit CRAZZZZZZYYYYYY ..BUT SUPPLY AND DEMAND RULE APPLIESSS lol

Anyway fingers x that sanity prevails and we get them on the list soon ..until then

we just keep breeding what we have

Be good thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

What is this fixation we have with Zebra plecs ????? there are at least a half dozen other small plecos available from time to time, at least a good looking as Zebs, and 1/3 or less the price.

If we all ignore the Zebs that swim this far!!!!

Alan

laugh.gif .... and they hide ALL DAY!

If you ever want to show your mate some zebs, u'd be looking at turning the tank upside down for a quick peek! : blush.gif

I'm with Alan on this.... Other much better looking fish that hide less, cost less and breed more. thumb.gif

there are at least a half dozen other small plecos available from time to time, at least a good looking as Zebs, and 1/3 or less the price.

Zebra Plecs look fantastic, thats also why they are expensive. Where else can you get that sort of colouring. Can you give examples to support your opinion?

I'm with Alan on this.... Other much better looking fish that hide less, cost less and breed more. thumb.gif

like what????? If it's not a common plec it's usually relatively expensive. tongue.gif

Check these fellas out..

L333

L260

L134

L52

L204

All striped catfish that don't get too big.

.... these are just a couple of striped cats that I've seen recently (and at a LFS in Sydney as well!) which IMO are as good, if not better looking than L046. All cost less than the zebra plecos, bigger in size (currently some are double the size of of the zebra plecos), and cheaper in price! The L52s look awesome and they're a heluva lot more active than the little hiding-all-the-time zebras. Also, many have more consistent bred in tank records than the zebra.

Then there are spotted plecos.... laugh.gif

L264 (Cool looking fish man!)

L262

L177 (Nugget)

L14 (see them very often these days)

... ans some largish type plecos

L27c and L114.... both get considerable size.

Gosh... and these are just what I know is HERE and on display!

How much longer do we have to wait till this fish is on the legal import list? I'd love to have a few, but I' not paying big $$$$ for them.

Most of the people who do have them and are breeding them in Australia, then selling them, only see it as big $$$$. What happened to the love of keeping ornamental fish.

You know what separates Zebras/Lnos from Bristlenose and Gibbiceps in this country? Price tag. Thats it, thats why people want them, I know they have stunning colouration, blah, blah, blah...but would they be so sought after if they cost no more then say, Peppermints? They're not expensive because they look good, they're expensive because they're illegally imported. Forbidden fruit.

I saw Zebras on a Singapore based wholesalers list for 5 bucks recently. 5 bucks. Our government already understands the commercial economis value of aquarium fish (this industry grows bigger every day), it won't be long before we see a few more species on the allowable import list...

My boss told me about the breeding colony of zebras he saw in Singapore. They were kept in a 6x2x2 on a front veranda, belonging to the owner of a fish farm. There was no filtration, the sides of the tank were GREEN and the fish were fed beefheart every other day. The tank received a daily 90% water change.

There was an estimated 30-40 zebras in the tank, ranging from fat healthy adults, down to newly hatched fry.

Why are people here having so much trouble breeding them??? Is it the cost of the individual fish preventing anyone from starting a decent colony? I doubt it. Or are people just not letting others know when their Zebs start spawning? blink.gif Are they trying to keep the price high?

thumb.gifcool.gif

First of all the price tag does stop 90% of people having enough fish to start with but the other controling factor is there are not that many available at once.

As for price, even if they are spawned they will never match the peppermint price, peppermints have 50 to 75 in a spawn while the Zebra is reportedly to only have 7 to 15 per spawn.

Also it has taken 20 years since the first peppermint arrived to get down to that price l dont believe that the Zebra has been here that long, l certainly doubt that they will drop to $30 each in the next two years, Scarefaze l will take your money if l must thumb.gif

laugh.gif I agree with Boots here, spawning is seasonal (once or twice a year) and there just isnt enough zeb`s spawining to bring the price down very signifcantly especially to $30 within the next few years. Expect the price to come down very slowly but i still think we will be in the hundread`s of dollars per fish bracket for a while yet. thumb.gif Cheers Andy

Archived