Zebra Pleco's

mangrove jack

surely if we can start breeding them then prices should come down. I doubt it will be any less then $500 per fish as the current trends are anything to go by.

There are even predictions it will go up as Zebra is now considered endangered so harvesting them in wild is not allowed. (so those smugglers who brought them here for $50 a pop now must pay excess of $300)

I checked out many US websites and prices of Zebra are around $200-$300 mark..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're so difficult to breed and have such small broods, how are these breeders in Singapore producing thousands of fish? My boss has been seeing breeding colonies and heaps of fry over there for 6-7 yrs now...seriously.

Zebras have only been temporarily banned from import and any CITES listing will be quite a few years away, if at all. The Brazilian government is attempting to list them as endangered after damming the river they live in blink.gifclap.gif

Gosh catfishLegacy, you make sound like you doubt me laugh.gif ,Doubt is good. wink.gif

Every where in the world they seem to lack good numbers of this fish even where they are on the import list, all seem to get theirs from the wild, every catfish forum you visit the info is the same, hard to breed and small numbers in the spawnings (7 to 15), here is a link for you to look at so that you may draw your own ideas and thoughts l would suggest you type "Catfisf L046" into a search engine a few times and see what you come up with, Good luck

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/1997_11.php

P.s l have a few friends that have been to Singapore, but none have reported seeing Thousands of zebs yet, they may be looking in all the wrong areas, where did your Boss go?

Hi Guys

Just an indication of how well they maintain their price.

Found a listing on Ebay Uk yesterday ( semms to have disappeared) selling two adult zebras, looked like males, with the price up over 200 pounds. Converted to AUD is about $500.

Remember that they can import them no problems. If you go hunting around the web you will find that there are more request to buy these catfish then there is people selling them.

One Uk site selling them 80 pounds for 3cm, nearly $200. http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/shops_detail.asp?id=21

So even if they are able to be imported into Aust they will still be over the $200 mark for a long long longggg time.

Cheers

Andreas

ps just located the Ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4353286248

laugh.gif Shall leave the dreamers to dream....

It's funny how people can't tell the difference between cats. Every striped catfish is a "Zebra" pleco.

U may find some cheapish bred zebs passed in small numbers among hobbyist overseas (say the case in NZ and a couple of cases in US), but small broods effectively means if you aren't his best mate, u've got NO CHANCE! Even Cheapish is not $5!

I've got 3 Singapore fish exporters list here, 1 tropical fish exporters list from Columbia (for reference), and another from Brazil (again for reference), plus a price list of one of the largest exporters of exotic fish in Germany (again for reference).... no $5 Zebs! laugh.gif

Cheapest zebs from last season (which is already out of stock anyway) is $90.... not as if it matter here what the price overseas is anyway. If they can't get in, they can't get in.... And if they do miraculously appear, u want it, pay the price. tongue.gif

I mean, if we wanted to compare prices with OS, electric yellows here should be A LOT cheaper if they were importable. So would gibbiceps, common plecos, gold plecos, gold spotted pleco (basicaly worth hardly anything OS!!)... why isn't anyone whinging about not getting gibbiceps at $2-$3?? LOL.gif

Put it another way....

Gibbiceps are worth $1 at 6cm in Singapore (actually less, but that's retail price), we're happy paying $50 for a 6cm gibbi here even when it has been locally bred for a while now by the thousands. That's a 50x mark up compared to OS. blink.gif

Zebs are say worth $100 at 4cm OS, I've seen zebs same size going for say $1000 here and there's a big risk factor involved getting them here etc etc. That's only a 10x mark up!!! Hardly worth it for the returns IMO

Better returns on gibbis percentage wise don't u think? LOL.gif

they are already under $500 if u know where to go,alot of people wont buy em cause they are hard to spawn people will reduce price if not selling wink.gif

and i will make a wagger that with in 5 years zebras,orange spots and pepermints will be like if not less than 7 bar prices

Come on Scarfaze, this is the second time you have made a bet/wagger about this fish and seems that your theorys are based on poor research, although l have noted that your time frame has changed from 2 years to 5 years as has your price.

Did you check out the link l put up for you?

Did you do a Search for yourself?

Would you like some more links to help you?

As already pointed out by others here the peppermints already sell below 7bars

We sell peppermints for $25 to $30 and my friend sells his 7 bars for $50.

As for the statement that "Zebs are already under $500 if you know where to go" please forward my contact details to this person as l wish to buy 10 ASAP wub.gif

l will be greatful thumb.gif

i guess with anything if they can mass produce it then prices will go down.

some fish takes ages to grow and even harder to breed but once down they produce vast amount of fry.. 30-60 fry

zebra takes couple years to mature but worse part is that they are hard to breed and even worst part is that they only produce small amount of fry 7-15max and thats eggs laid.. if you do your research correctly they success keep alive 2-5 babies per spawn.

do your maths correctly and it will tell you the story.

plus being endangered just adds to the scarcity of these little critters.

3 years on I am predicting even higher price why cause prices in other country will rise and thus smugglers pay more thus importers pay more and finally we pay more!

if in chance some of the locals here breeds them (what handfull of them out there)

say safely we can manage 50 fry per annum locally bred then guess what those guys will not sell for less then what the market value would be smile.gif

Well guys 12 months ago people were paying $300 and more for albino bristlenose now think about that a common bristlenose. These fish breed like flies, they will go down in price continuosly. Anyone that believes that the King of catfish H. zebra will achieve peppermint bristlenose price sorry to say guys not even in your craziest dream that will happen. Why? is exactly what has been put forward.

Very small numbers per spawn, 5 to 15.

To have a half chance to breed them you need 6 or more as all fish the more you got the better chance to get opposit sexes 10 would be ideal at your price scarfaze that equals $5000.00.

If you can see that person selling them for peppermint prices he is one sick son of a B.....

So sorry to to be a realist, not even in 20 years those gems will be common peppermint B/N prices.

Oh by the way I will take ten at $500 each right now.

So scarfaze if you do not get these fish for that price, you will show everyone on this forum anything you say cannot be taken seriously.

Am I reading this guy right I just noticed you say they are hard to breed that will lower the price.

LESSON

In our world the way it works is supply and demand low supply high demand = high prices oversupply low demand low prices in everything. blink.gif

okok we are heading wrong direction just remember its a discussion board so state your facts but do not try to put anyone down.

I like boths Hypo and Scarz answer to this question why?? So i can get both picture.. smile.gif

just don't go overboard.

dude you keep trying to put oil in the flame! you'll get kicked out if you try to flame every post other members make.

I don't think I made any post to you that I deserve that sarcastic remark.

admins/mods I think some of these last few posts should be edited.

OK, say if you can get these zebs at $500, say we agree to buy it off you at $550 ($50/fish on a quick turn around is pretty good mate!), I think there are about 4-5 ppl here that have put their hands up for 10 of these cats each at the price. That's 50 zebra plecos!!!.... and just on your part to turn them around, u get a quick $2.5K!!!

Bussiness propostions... Show us these Zebras.

lol guys guys I don't know scarfaze or what his capable of but I don't think he literally ment what he posted smile.gif

I think he gave a figure that he stumbled acrossed before (i have seen that price 6months ago). I mean hell i missed an opportunity to buy full grown 3year old group of 6 for $4000!!!

okay i know that i dont speak english that well, oh wait yes i do i have perfect grammar with perfect cursive, what i said was check this forum for recent post in the aquarium classifieds section and i think you find that they have gone for UNDER $500, i never once said i owned then and i haven't said i dont so please dont go making assumptions so your other forum friends will think your "cool", i dont have time for people like you so once again please dont try and attack what i say to make a name for yourself cause your just making yourself look foolish clap.gif

All I know is my boss has seen tanks full of very large breeding colonies of these overrated fish on several fish farms...and the list price was down to $5 from a farm in recently. I would imagine they ran out of stock pretty quickly...or they mis-identified the fish. I know zebras are very striking, but the very same farmers had trouble telling the difference between Glass catfish and Blueline pangasius in a shipment they sent us last year rolleyes.gif The 200 Pangasius were destroyed sadsmiley02.gif

Hypancistrus are nothing compared to the mighty ANCISTRUS tongue.gif

Archived