Feeding: Recommended Foods

YeW

I feed my fish a variety of premium foods.

Hikari Staple - Floating Pellet (staple)

Hikari Cichlid BioGold - Floating Pellet (colour enhancer)

Hikari Cichlid Complete - Small sinking wafer (good to keep aggression down)

Sera Premium Granules - Like Tetra bits but IMHO better (colour enhancer)

Sera Flora - Flake (vegetarian)

Also for a bit of fun I stick a Sera Spirulina tab to the glass sometimes, the fish go nuts for it. :lol

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 3 months ago I swapped from an OSI cichlid flake to Orca as a staple plus some Sera San flake when the OSI ran out. Someone else commented to me that my mbuna were not a great colour and recommended a change in diet. I did this although being sceptical that there was anything wrong. I went to 90% Sera san, 10% orca and blood worms 2 or 3 times a month. My mbuna had lost colour. Although I still think Orca is good stuff I suspect it seriously lacks the vegetable content to keep even omniviors looking there best.

Craig.

hey ppls,

i use Orca blood worms,not the most expensive but close,

Wardleys flakes,

Wardleys brine shrimp (pellets),

Wardleys algae wafers,about average priced, i think its descent quality.

Dupla-rin granules S-XL,personally i think the best quality for,well being, colouration etc, but at a price.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get processed beef heart cubes (ie diced, munched and pulverised) at certain warehouse style pet food places that have exorbitant prices. Or check your LFS.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I find Hikari Food Sticks™ are widely liked by all my fish.

Crude Protein Crude Fat Crude Fiber Moisture Crude Ash

min. 40% min. 4% max. 3% max. 10% max. 12%

I find they breed well when this is included in their diet. Even the bottom dwelling pleco's come up to the surface to eat when the food sticks are offered.

Lyndon

I use mainly two types of Hikari, Cichlid Gold and Cichlid Excel.

I also use diced beef heart, live mosquito larvae, live cochroaches, cooked chicken, prawns and fish, and blood worms (live when I can).

Not allowed to use live fish, girlfriend won't let me

Hmm after reading about all these hormones turning females into male looking counter parts, it has me worried about my female lab. I feed them mostly hikari cichlid gold, super g, blood worms and brine shrimp. She had spawned many times and this time when i let her back in the tank she has coloured up. Sometimes i mistake her for the dominate male. Well im not sure if this is just luck or if it is the hikari gold. I am thinking it is the super g as this is the only thing i have changed in my feeding habbits.

Fed my bn its first zuccini, it loves it. I had to cut out the centre piece as the thing wasnt sinking.

HI Barca888,

Its definately the Super G. Its one of the foods most of the users on this board wont touch. But Enough of that as this is a recomended food list not a discussion on hormone colour foods. If you want to start that discussion [again] best do it in another topic.

Lyndon

I use Hikari cichlid gold, Hikari cichlid staple and OSI cichlid premier are my favourite and they make your fish grow extremly well.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here make there own food, I have been for ages, use on American & african cichlids,ghosties... use fish,prawns,veges,spirilina powder....fish love it

I dont use blood worms as I have seen a few people who break out in rashes just from touching it. blink.gif: could this have bad effects on certain fish species???

Frenchy

I have been in the hobby a short time and have only used these:

NUTRAFIN Max Complete flake food for tropicals everyday

NUTRAFIN Max Spirulina Algea Tablets one per day

Wardley Premium small Cichlid floating Pellets couple times a week

Orca Bloodworms once a week

live brine shrimp 1 or 2 times weekly.

I am not sure if this is the best diet for my Malawis, please PM me if you think i should change something... Don't see many people using NUTRAFIN? Is expensive though...

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of the hikari cichlid staple in large pellet size for my adult polystigma's but I also feed them tetra colourbits which can be a little over priced depending on where you get them from.

Hiiii everybody...

I like to use Hikari Gold medium pellets for my Red devils, they are smart and wont take anything that isnt from the Hikari packet, except the odd earthworm a few times a week. The devils love them. As for my other smaller fish, i use Hikari breed specific (fancy guppy, cichlid complete) foods with different types of treats a few times a week.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Sera San as a staple for all my fish, as well as o.s.i ocean stars and new life spectrum (too expensive ohmy.gif ) for the larger cichlids, hbh soft'n'moist spirulina for the little guys. The Juli's and Krib's in particular love the stuff. They all get brine shrimp three times a week, and the crimson tides get live worms when available. The flowerhorns love the big mealworms and crickets, but these get expensive.

Here's something a little different. In the summer I leave a couple of buckets of water on the verandah. After a few days, presto, instant mosquito larvae. Still the best conditioner for breeding Juli's and Krib's that I've come across. You can net them and freeze them too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello all,

I started to use the orca pellets and mix it up evey other day with Sera flora. The fish go nuts just seeing the can! They knock each other out of the way for the orca pellets as well. The pellets are great value for money $29 for 2 kgs.

So far so good.

smile.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just started using ORCA High protein pellets, that are actually not very high in protein (46%). But they definately condition fish well and you can get it from tiny powder to big pellets with several sizes in between.

Anthony thumb.gif

• 2 months later...

Archived