Price tag on L168's

MikeWs Fish

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have not been easy to find but it looks like about $70-$80 each at 6-8cm. Thats if the supplier I have been talking to has the right one.

Being advertised fro $65 @ 6-8cm here in Queensland

Why's that mike?

There are importers up in Qld u know... and these will be allowable imports soon. Bayfish are up in Qld and they're a pretty big outfit and could possibly be getting good prices for bulk purchases. Then again, there's also Wetpetz up in Qld.... U never know what those boys are up to. ;)

I know I've got 150 of these lined up and negotiating a better price.... so let's see where the prices hold at after they come in. ;)

Why's that mike?

Because I dont wanna pay tax for something I can get cheaper, closer to home. smile.gif

I'm not desperate to get them either. Don't mind waiting a couple of months, or even 6, to get them cheaper than the first batch, which are possibly at inflated prices because of initial excess demand.

Being advertised fro $65 @ 6-8cm here in Queensland

We will have to wait and see if that price is correct. LOL.gif

Don't mind waiting a couple of months, or even 6, to get them cheaper than the first batch, which are possibly at inflated prices because of initial excess demand.

I disagree with this statement Mike the price I have given is a fair price for what I have to pay to get them in. I don't think it will change much how long you wait for them. dntknw.gif

Ya lost me Mike,

What the H**** has the price of African cichlids got to do with the price of Sth American catfish ???????? blush.gif

Just going by what these guys go for in New Zealand where they have been available for years, sounds a reasonable price to me.

Alan.

P.S.,,,,guess you could expect that tho posting a catfish question on a cichlid forum.

not to hard ive been researching them for a while simialr to breeding L052 a person in NZ has bred them and had a bit of success and hes got all his water parameters etc up, check out planet catfish forums, and look for L052 spawning or something similar

It is very likely that L052 and L168 are just local variations of the same species. Both come from the same river system, spread over three countries.

There are numerous reports of these fish being bred. Recently a NZ high school student had three spawns in two months from one pair.

There is every chance that most or all of these fish to arrive in Aus next month will be captive bred fish.

The price may stay up there, depending on how successful local breeders are. But I don't think there will be a dramatic fall in value in the next couple of years.

Not like the $500 to $30 nose dive of albino Bristle Nose in less than 2 years. Might settle some where around the peppermint mark.

Alan

I have had no luck in obtaining these tried all over the world. dntknw.gif I understand from some of the people I have asked that not many are caught.

I have even asked suppliers in South America. I also understand that a lot of the other importers are having the same problem.

So I would be a bit sceptical of any one offering these for sale. I would want to see the fish before I handed over any money. cool.gif

I wonder why these fish where put up for addition to the import list. Anyone know who did put them up maybe they know where I can get them from. LOL.gif

As for the loachs the only one that is readily available is the yo-yo one. The skunk loach is a protected species and unavailable for export well thats what I have been told.

So if some one wants to own up to adding them to import list and explain why I would be very interested. dry.gif

Butterfly pleco's,,,, L052 or L168 (more than likely the same fish) are a nice small, peaceful addition to our range of available aquarium fish.

They are not endangered in the wild, are attractive, usefull, and able to be bred in aquaria. I reckon they are a great addition to our import list.

So there are none available at the moment, so what ??? all 200 odd species of corydoras are legal imports, but how often do you see them on any list???

I have kept cories for more than 40 years and some species I have only ever seen once in all that time. Some I have never seen.

Alan.

Archived