Price tag on L168's

MikeWs Fish

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These look different than the ones in the photos I posted. I have been offered some true L168s from a well established supplier in Asia I have asked for photos before buying so we will see what the photo he sends is like.

All I can say is this would appear to be one big stuff up. dry.gif I understand they grow to about 14cm so I would like to see a photo of one full size.

Thanks for the photos Gianniz it will be of help to me you dont know where these went after they left you by any chance.

Huh? What difference do you see Nigel?? Think u must be looking at cichlids too much? LOL.gif I don't see any diff. Gianniz fish looks like L168, albeit the top pic is how they will look like when they're stressed (ie like how they will look like when they first arrive), and the bottom blurry pic is how they'll look like when they're a bit more settled, and finally when they're in a nice environment and are trully happy, they'd look like the pics u posted up. bigsmile.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Markus, what b*llcraP about wood type? These L104 fish are easy as wee wEE to find in Asia and being kept nicely with a piece of Hardwood driftwood. MOST if not a big percentage of driftwood we get over in Aust IS the Malaysian hardwood, so how could it be the wrong wood?

My guess is that many of the fish just came with sunken belly and sunken eyes to begin with. I hear Bay imported well over 500pc of L104.... Now 500pc of these fish are not easy to find, hold, and feed at firstly, the South American exporters and then followed by (very likely) an Asian exporter (we can't import direct from South America u see.). These fish may not have been fed for well over 2-3weeks from time of collection to the time they arrived/quarantined in Australia!!

ALWAYS check plecos (especially imported stocks) for sunken bellies and eyes. If they're sunken, then they're as good as "swimming dead". Shops should check their new arrival stocks for sunken bellies and check on fish that are out in the open (ie not hiding.. A hiding L104 is a healthy pleco!) after they are released into tanks. I'd even suggest calling in a sunken belly fish as DOA to the wholesaler 'cos that's exactly what it is or will be shortly.

I make it blatantly clear to my suppliers when I import/buy these plecos that if they send me a sunken belly fish, I WILL CLAIM these. angry.gif

Hi Nigel, I posted those pictures for you so you can see what they will look like when they arrive and plus the photo you will get from the supplier should look very similar.

The second pic will show a great deal of what kinda of fish they are.. Very flat fish smile.gif

It does turn more brighter yellow but thats when the fish are happy and settled.

the link wouldnt work for me maybe its becuase i have dial up cryblow.gif

someone is selling or was i think they are all sold (there were only 3) true L168's 13cm for $110 i gather that is a good price

168s.

- Flatter (obviously much flatter than the 104)

- wide stripes

- less upper caudal fin extension

- wide stripe pattern on head

(L52 is a locality variant so they could be such as well)

I have been interested in the development of the introduction of this species.

The other week all I could find was L104's in aquariums for around the $70.

Yesterday I saw for sale several of the L168's that have been shown in images on this thread more black and white than brown and aorange. A very pretty pleco and the do have quite a flat body.

They ranged for 8cm to 12cm in length and were priced from $140 to $200 dollars which seemed pretty fair.

I am going to wait for the smaller ones to arrive next week as they are a little cheaper as they will go in the community tank.

Cheers

Just in case they do run out I picked up a few L104s today. $40. I have lots of wood so I think they will be happy in my tanks. They are quite a nice looking fish, even though not nearly as nice as the L168 to me, at $40 compared to what the would have cost a year ago I'm happy to have them.

I have been interested in the development of the introduction of this species.

The other week all I could find was L104's in aquariums for around the $70.

Yesterday I saw for sale several of the L168's that have been shown in images on this thread more black and white than brown and aorange. A very pretty pleco and the do have quite a flat body.

They ranged for 8cm to 12cm in length and were priced from $140 to $200 dollars which seemed pretty fair.

I am going to wait for the smaller ones to arrive next week as they are a little cheaper as they will go in the community tank.

Cheers

$70 is probably too much for the L104 for a 168 maybe though

i wouldn't pay $200 for168 a fish thats worth about $20 full grown in the other countries.

That's a strange comment blink.gif

I wouldn't pay $1000 for a zebra pleco that you can get in the USA or NZ for well under $100, but SOME people here have laugh.gif

I wouldn't pay $1000 for a zebra pleco that you can get in the USA or NZ for well under $100, but SOME people here have

You can not, and will not find Hypancistrus zebra for well under $100 in those countries. They are now CITES listed and you will not get them that cheap anymore. Granted, they are probably still cheaper than here, but they don't just give 'em away.

Bretto.

Archived