Personable tankbuster

pride

Anyone have any suggestions for a tankbuster with alot of personality that can be housed by itself in a 6'x20" tank? Ones that immediately come to mind are a red devil, buttifoferi or an oscar. It doesn't have to be cichlid only but was hoping for something that can possibly interact with its owner like a dog lol. This will be for our living room so it will get alot of attention from the kids...

i have seen giant gouramis to be a great treat, they will feed of your hand and if kept long enough, it will follow you as you walked back and fourth around the tank and being a fish that will grow more then 1.5foot, i would say its a tank buster.

just an opinion.

Maybe a couple of bass and some catfish?

Bass don't grow huge but they're nice looking fish and they do get used to human involvement pretty quickly. They're also good for entertainment value as they eat almost anything, crickets, moths, feeder fish, cicadas, mice, the list is endless wink.gifcool.gif

Mick

Any large American will do well. I have to agree that my Giant Gorami exudes personality and definately interacts with the cats (I have the scars across my chest to prove it dry.gif ). Mangrove jacks are another possibility...it really depends on what type of fish you like..

merjo smile.gif

I ended up getting a good old red oscar. Got him for nothing at about 7 inches. I actually showed my kids some pictures of different tank busters on the web and they picked the oscar plus I should be able to keep some smaller tank mates too. Thakns for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a giant gourami ((about 5cm) which is currently copping a hard time from my gold severums (about 8cm).

although its eating ok and ive only had it for a few days, i was wondering from your experience, is this situation likely to change?

thanks

julie

thanks will

so far its got a few nips on its fins. its like this gourami is determined to go into the severums territory smile.gif

how fast can i expect this fish to grow?

cant wait to have it up to a ft long and then bigger smile.gif

currently in a 6*2*2 with a few full grown gibiceps and small africans (frontys and stuff) along with these 2 severums that pre gourama werent in the least bit territorial

julie

I ended up getting a good old red oscar. Got him for nothing at about 7 inches. I actually showed my kids some pictures of different tank busters on the web and they picked the oscar plus I should be able to keep some smaller tank mates too. Thakns for the suggestions.

i hope you got him another oscar tankmate too!

I have 5 Pacu's, a GG and a red tail cat, i think they all have great personality in their own different ways...the pacu's are forever hungry and will eat anything, the GG is more picky and is like a pompus highclass individual looking down on my pacu's with a flare of royalty about it and offcourse my RTC is just like a pet doggy eating from my hand and letting me pet it sometimes even sucking on my entire hand, very very tame.

Archived