Rocks: Sandstone (004)

Hi all,

I've got a 4 footer with sandstone used as the main rocks. Everytime i do a water change and test the PH, i always get a reading of about 8.1. I was just wondering if this is caused by the sandstone buffering the water or if its time to get a new test kit.

Cheers

Dean

Hi Dean,

It depends entirely upon the source/chemical composition of the sandstone...ie. if the sandstone is of marine/oxidising environment, then it will contain CaCO3. These types of sandstone buffer your water. Try this link

Rock article

merjo smile.gif

I certainly wouldn't debate Merjo on the topic, as he will be correct.

I think though it would also be fair to say, that usually, sandstone won't affect the tank. In your possition, I would take some water to a shop, or friend and have them test some of your water. If it dosnt' show the same reading buy a new one and take it from there.

If it reads the same, then you might try testing the water from the tap, the water in your tank after a water change, and the water before a water change. From this you will be able to determine what, if anything is happening to your tank's water.

You don't mention what substate you use, this can have a greater impact on water than your rock.

Craig

Archived