When cichlids die...

stagfest

I'm just curious as to what everyone here does with their dead fish? I've got a childhood memory of me burying a dead goldfish under a tree in the backyard!!! sadsmiley02.gif and then to my horror minutes later, next door neighbour's cat had the goldfish in her mouth!!! sadsmiley02.gif ... what do you with yours??? blush.gif

Guest Gutty

You guys go to way too much hassle........ rolleyes.gif

Chuck it on the lawn, and leave it for the birds. Or throw it in the garden, plenty of nutritional value for your plants.........

Digging holes.........bahahahahaha.... LOL.gifwink.gif

i get very attached to my fish thank you very much!!! wink.gif and sending them away with dignity should be on everyone's priority!!! Proper burial, casket...crying widow...the works...i can just imagine, a little casket for a giant frontosa!!! hahah

l think everything has a use, even dead fish, so we feed ours to our chickens who then play a game of "Catch me if you can" as they run all over the yard with the prized dead fish in there beak and every other chicken following, hopefully the will give me an egg or two in return, so l guess you could say we eat them blush.gif .....in around about way. laugh.gif

i usually put them in my porcelain fish bowl and the flush of fresh summer rains send them straight to fishy heaven. where they can swim with the mersey kippers and the lumpy turtles under the watchfull eye of the thunder gods.

Bob

depending on reason of death i feed them to my Jags and wolfs, or put them on the garage (tin roof) for the birds. one of my mates leaves them outside his house in a used chinese food container that has a hole big enough for flies to get in and lay their eggs which later turn into maggots. then he seperates the maggots (yuck) from the rotten, smelly carcass and puts them in another container (old pepper bottle with fairly large sized holes in it) and puts them in a tank outside with a fine mesh lid when the maggots turn into flies he feeds them to his frogs.

damn i'm getting hungry. LOL.gif

Burial at sea with a 21 gun Harpic salute. :D

Or it's too big, bagged, frozen and binned.

I've already run out of space to hide dead bodies. <<evil smirk>>

Cheers - OziOscar.

Well sometimes theres an autopsy. Can't be too careful. I really do need a better microscope though but can be a good chance to do a gill scrape or something. You just never know until you do....... It's also a good chance to find out a few things........ like why pictus spines get stuck in nets or how soft a bristlenoses bristles are.

If it looks natural enough or not going to make it then I turn to nature.

Mangrove Jack.

I don't think they only eat healthy fish in wild.........

unsure.gif

Guest Gutty

I wouldn't be too concerned about cats etc picking up diseases off dead fish. Not an expert but i bet you'll find alot of fish diseases can't survive out of water, and i highly doubt 99% would affect a mamal anyway.

When was the last time your cat got white spot ?? LOL.gif

So many people told me not to eat my tank raised yabby for fear of poison/disease............It was yummy !!! tongue.gif

Archived