Altolamprologus

cyber_crimes

Hi guys,

I am a former member of the NSW society making a return to the hobby after a few years away messing with reptiles.Anyway I was wondering what species of Altolamprologus are available these days.

I know of:

Gold comp

Gold headed comp

Redfin comp

Black calvus

Gold calvus

White calvus

But are there any others available in Aus?

Define "available" ;) im looking for all of them and they arent really "available" in the bigger sizes, but smaller sizes dont seem to be too much of a problem ...

Alto Dwarf Sumbu ... Shell Dwellers, i think the most uncommon of the lot ...

Ta ;)

Hamza ... ;):

Hi -

As far as I am aware we only have the two species (A. compressiceps & A. calvus here).

I would be wary of "red fin" compressiceps. We know little about them and they may be hybrids.

I'm also yet to be convinced that the "gold head" compressiceps are distinctly different from plain old gold compressiceps.

But as most of you know... I'm a picky fellow <_<

Is there any difference between a gold comp and a yellow calvus ?(i assume there is) If so what are they other than location ??

Thanks

matt

Hi Matt -

Altolamprologus calvus and Altolamprologus compressiceps are two different species. The colour morphs are variation within each of these species.

HTH -

Thanks guys !! I guess a better question would have been "whats the difference between calvus and comp other than colour and location ?" I realise they are 2 seperate species(different names...duh ;): ), more just curious why or what the physical difference is.

I actually have some black calvus and some gold comps but at the size mine are it's impossible to pick them apart other than the colour. When you put the 2 adult photos together the difference is quite obvious.

Cheers

Matt

I believe I read somewhere (but don't know where so it may be dubious) that there is a patch of missing/weird scales on the head of the A.calvus? and that there are some differences in the number of fin rays between the two species.

HTH -

I believe I read somewhere (but don't know where so it may be dubious) that there is a patch of missing/weird scales on the head of the A.calvus? and that there are some differences in the number of fin rays between the two species.

HTH -

I might look into that. Sounds interesting.

Thanks Yew

compressiceps look like a calvus that has been pushed shorter, squashed up .what do others think? they look a bit umm ...stumpier, or i soppose a calvus looks like a compressiceps thats been streatched..

hmmm...OK, as I understand it the calvus is named from the Latin word for bald. This is because the calvus has no scales on top of the head.

As far as appearances go the compressiceps has a much more pronounced Alto shape, IMO. In profile the comp has a more "S"-like shape, where-as the calvus is straighter, in the line from the front of the dorsal-fin to the tip of the snout, in the head.

God I hope that is what you were trying to say trofius :p:

Gday all,

the most noticable difference between the two is the angle and length of the mouth... ie. the calvus mouth shape or the angle of the mouth is at roughly 14 degrees and being slightly longer as to the comp having a 45 degree angle mouth and being slightly shorter.. the other is the body shape..again calvus is longer in body length and comp is shorter and higher in body hence the name compressiceps.. HTH

Close enough Maz. LOl I think we all know what the difference is from pics its just putting it into words thats dificult some times.. So apart from the calvus and comps, my book lists another alto The A.fasciatus, but my other (older) book ( both by ad konnings,) lists it as a neolamprologus fasciatus, does anybody really know?

It is very hard putting into words what one can see, in a manner that makes sense to others(I always know what I mean :blink: ), and doesn't take 5 paragraphs to get out.

Ithink "spooky" and I got it pretty good between us :)

A.fasciatus and N.fasciatus are different fish...I would love to get some A.fasciatus if anyone has any or can get me some.

Spooky's right and he has explained the differences well. Only one thing though (and I'm just being pedantic here) the compressiceps in the species name refers to the fish being compressed laterally (looking like it's been squashed between 2 books or something) rather than it being shorter/higher in the body than a calvus. Dimidiochromis compressiceps was named so for the same reason - compare the body shapes, they're very similar.

Cheers,

Jess

• 2 weeks later...

Trofius: They are not the same fish at all...maybe the book you have, as a reference, is out of date or has poor pic's to look at??

The A.fasciatus are new into the country and it should bethat there are some available in the next year or 2.

They(A.fasciatus) are a very different fish from N.fasciatus and much harder to come bye.

HTH

Archived