Frontosa breeding help.

I have 18 moba frontosas in a large 8 by 2 tank and having trouble getting them to breed. They are about 4 years old. I've recently put in 2 large caves either sides of the tanks and the 2 larges males hang inside. I feed them high protein fish pellets which the seam to enjoy.. I think my problem is that I have about 10 males in the tank but they don't fight with each other at all. Can any of the frontosa fans help? Thanks in advanced...

Posted (edited)

Don’t stress too much, but they are really hard to breed.  Have you seen any females with tubes down yet?  The agro might step up when that happens.

i feed mine a mix of bait prawns (cut in half) and pellet.  I will not feed for a day or two before feeding prawns.  Mix up the water changes a bit and don’t do any for 2-3 weeks then do Water change and feed prawns.  Try a few different things.

I’d also try and settle on a breeding group and let them settle into the tank.  Go with 1-2 males and 6-8 females.  Always have a spare male in another tank if possible to give you options if needed.

I’m not overly fussy with my water.  Straight from the tap into the tank, plus prime, cichlid trace, buffer.  

My Moba first bred 8 years ago, I lost the WC male, went through a couple of F1s males that got bossed by the girls, I’m back to a WC male and they finally bred again.  If you can get your hands on a WC male, I reckon it’s worth it

Edited by brucem
  • Like 1

Their are 2 clear males in the tank.. the rest are just sub males.. I was hoping the tank was big enough to just leave them in there.. I think I'll need to vent them all and get rid of the extra males.. I'll try the bait prawns aswell... I'd love some extra females.. might start looking around. 

Posted (edited)

The tube can come out further than that.

This female of mine bred yesterday and her tube is not protruding so much today.  It’ll be back to normal tomorrow

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1375.jpeg

Edited by brucem
  • Thanks 1

I can see a few small tubes on a few.. I'm going to get rid of some males... my male looks like a dominant fish.. the hump is very large.. hopefully he can get the job done lol.. I bought 20 and it's interesting how the sizes are so different.. a few just didnt grow much at all..

• Like 1

I agree with everything Bruce has said. Good quality bait prawns are the go.

But I also played around with lighting once, I tried a blue light setting (as they are fairly deep water fish and blue light penetrates deepest).

They bred.

Could’ve just been a coincidence though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

that's a lot of fish in a small tank! get rid of some males mate. you dont really want more than two in that tank, id keep one but competition should stop him being lazy with the girls... i keep 2 males only ideally with 5-8 females in a 10x3x2 on a huge system and they bred like rabbits. home made food(prawns, mussels, squid, spirulina, nori seaweed, spinach n white fleshed fish blended up n frozen in snaplock bags).

• Like 1