Shutting down an aquarium

Cichlid Pete

If you’re not to use it for a while then give the tank and the fUlterior a good clean.  Using fresh tap water is ok if you’re putting it in storage for a while.  Also clean the ornament, gravel, sand, anything in there, basically

Because I'm lazy, I remove fish & plants then run a light bleach solution through the tank with filter(s) running and the substrate left in. This will strip all your biofilm and organic detritus buildup to leave a sparkling clean sterile tank. Then drain tank & filters (including canisters) leaving everything insitu and store until required. Canister filter media doesn't get removed. 

If I'm closing down a few tanks I will remove any gravel (stored in plastic mesh bags), stack lids edge down in a labelled fish box and store multiple tanks on top of each other three or four tanks high with strips of wood between. 6 and 8 for foot tanks stored on end to save space. I've been keeping fish long enough to have uniform sized tanks, standardised overflow drain placement and interchangeable lids so it's easy to swap out. 

• 5 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 6:51 PM, fishdance said:

Because I'm lazy, I remove fish & plants then run a light bleach solution through the tank with filter(s) running and the substrate left in. This will strip all your biofilm and organic detritus buildup to leave a sparkling clean sterile tank. Then drain tank & filters (including canisters) leaving everything insitu and store until required. Canister filter media doesn't get removed. 

If I'm closing down a few tanks I will remove any gravel (stored in plastic mesh bags), stack lids edge down in a labelled fish box and store multiple tanks on top of each other three or four tanks high with strips of wood between. 6 and 8 for foot tanks stored on end to save space. I've been keeping fish long enough to have uniform sized tanks, standardised overflow drain placement and interchangeable lids so it's easy to swap out. 

How much bleach is a light bleach for a 6ft tank - I'm bringing my tank back to life and want to clean fully beforehand.  Don't want everything to die once I start to add fish though.

17 hours ago, DamonK said:

How much bleach is a light bleach for a 6ft tank - I'm bringing my tank back to life and want to clean fully beforehand.  Don't want everything to die once I start to add fish though.

I'd dilute the bleach in water using just enough bleach that you can smell it.  As long as you thoroughly rinse the tank afterwards to remove any residual bleach and use a declorinator like Prime to break down any bleach that might be left you should be fine.  When you're finished you shouldn't be able to smell any bleach. 

Make sure it is home brand or a cheap bleach that is just straight bleach with no added whiteners, scents or other additives.