Plywood build

benwar

I am building a 168L plywood aquarium as an upgrade from my current 54L setup, I am quite happy with my design and have already began assembly.

The dimensions are 120cm across the front, 40cm in height and 35cm deep, I am connecting each panel using 1 inch finger joints as it will give me a nice look and a super strong joint, was just wondering if anybody has been down this or a similar route and could offer me some advice or some do's an don'ts, would be much appreciated (posted a similar post in "community tank" yesterday and realised I was in the wrong location)

I've never done or seen this done. I know americans do it a bit though.

Will be watching this post.

Can i ask why you dont just go buy a 4ft tank?

I have already had a look at his video's and done quite a bit of research, just looking for a bit of practical advice, a number of reason:

As a practice before building a much larger one

As a reward for finishing assignments at Uni I do a bit of work or design another part of it

I like the idea of it being enclosed on all sides like a cave almost

The cost, so far is FAR less then a glass tank, the panel of glass and the wood cut to size on the tank itself is $70 so far, plus labour and a little wood glue will give me a tank, then I have to seal the tank, 4L of bitumen rubber is $49, I then have to build a stand and canopy, I will keep the thread updated on my progress, I'll try and find my plans and put them up too

Please post the plans. I'll keep fish again one day, and when I do, I'm going to build my own plywood tank.

If you want ideas, go on monsterfishkeepers.com. There are a lot of plywood tank builds on there.

Here's one I have stored.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?305927-My-315G-Plywood-Tank-Build

There is also a good one made by an Aussie guy on there, but I couldn't find the link.

Hope this helps.

The cost, so far is FAR less then a glass tank, the panel of glass and the wood cut to size on the tank itself is $70 so far, plus labour and a little wood glue will give me a tank, then I have to seal the tank, 4L of bitumen rubber is $49, I then have to build a stand and canopy, I will keep the thread updated on my progress, I'll try and find my plans and put them up too

So far your spending 119

U can buy new standard 4ft tanks for less than that

Not from around where I live, if you take into account my other motives for building my own it works out to be the most sensible option :)

I couldn't find my original drawings, but here is a rough sketch of my design using paint

null-1.jpg

Not too sure how the image is going to come out :)

12mm glass panel, is that correct?

I like the idea of doing this, good practice for the big one.

I have built 4 at roughly 3.6 meters long by 1.8 and 1.2m wide.

These house my rays.

Construction results come in two very different ways,,, the strength in these two are usually confused when dealing with one or the other.

1. Box construction with full fiber glass wrap inside and out.

2. Box construction with any type of internal sealer or internal fiber glass only.

If choosing 2 method, then the strength in joints and material chosen must be adequate to withstand engineering needs.

There for thick ply and superior jointing is needed.

If choosing 1 method, which is the one I chose and is far easier and much stronger, then much less effort is required for a very small extra cost.

Build the lot out of standard 12mm mdf which is far cheaper, lighter easier to work with.

Don't even worry about fixing joints to extremes, just liquid nails and small standard screws.

Run a ring beam around the top edge out of 70x19 jarrah on its edge and cross brace top with 90x30 jarrah.

For view panels cut out windows and surround openings with 70x19 jarrah on the flat.

And between each window from bottom to top run 90x30 on its edge till it connects to the underside of the top 70x19.

When running timber around widow openings, set back 20mm so it gives a 20mm seat rebate effect for glass to fit in.

Everything can be obtained from bunnings, even the glass,,,, those 12mm frameless glass pool fencing.

The ready sizes of these panels are perfect to make your project suit these sizes.

So after construction Fiberglas wrap inside and out and job is done minus siliconing the panels in.

This is all so easy.

I cannot be faulted because I've built them without a problem, but I have not incorporated glass.

The Fiberglas wrap inside and out is absolute superior strength all round including jointing.

Locally here in Perth is cost me $400 to completely Fiberglas one at 3.4 x 1.2m,, so a lot less than $1000 to build.

Glass panels from bunnings are only $100 - $200 each depending on size,,, very cheap compared to $800 - $900 from a glass company.

Glass panels from bunnings are only $100 - $200 each depending on size,,, very cheap compared to $800 - $900 from a glass company.

I never thought of that, well done.

Have you worked with fibreglass before Buccal, or was this your first time? If it was your first time, did you find applying it difficult?

I'd also love to see pics if possible.

Sorry guys as I only have a iPad and not computer literate, the easiest of tasks are very confusing to me.

I did not Fiberglas them myself,,, but had it done by a small Fiberglas company for cash.

By the time you buy all materials needed for fiberglassing,,, it's much more worth while getting a Fiberglas mob to do it.

I'm a carpenter,, but anyone can do a simple box construction.

If you take it to a Fiberglas mob,, then be sure to arris all the corners so they can get a easy wrap.

If some one wants to plug up their mobile phone number, I can text pics and you can plug them up.

My tank is much smaller then yours so I doubt I'll need fibre glass, just a rubber membrane sealant, I am already using the 1200mmx400mm glass panel from bunnings, great minds think alike! only $30 or so, I'm using 12mm ply for my sides,

Green troll, did you want photos from me or Buccal?

All I have so far is a pile of wood that matches this plans so far haha the rays look amazing!

I've always wanted to have a tank full :)

null.jpg

I have already started the finger joints, I'm doing it by hand using a hacksaw and chisel do its gonna be a long project haha, oh well Atleast I can say I built it totally by hand!

Okay guys try and use your imagination here, this is the front right hand side, the panel on the ground is the base plate, the small piece of wood extending off the side panel is the lip that will hold the glass in, it will sort of be a window frame with all 4 sides being a separate piece, I know cutting a square out of a single piece of plywood is the norm however the size of the frame that would have been left is too small and the frame would snap across the grain, this was only placed together for the sake of checking the fit and it turned out very strong already, hard to separate even without glue :)

null-2.jpg

Apparently it will, according to my research that is, there are a few varieties of silicone so I'm going to have a look and find one that will definitely bond, except all the literature I have found suggests there isn't a problem whenever has used it

Archived