This #&*$^@* hobby

Ducksta

So yesterday - despite my solemn vow that I was only in it for a display tank now, I got a bit pleased after my Uaru had shown courting behaviour and started clearing sites for 3 days.

My tank is a bit busy so they hadn't settled on a site bit had their tubes down and all the usual indicators. I suspected they spawned the night before last because the girl dropped a huge amount of stomach but they still behaved like a bonded pair in a big tank (displaying, never leaving each others side).

So yesterday was spent pondering... Another tank? Probably need a rack even - adults and grow out... Give the pair to someone who will look after them and spawn them and get back a few youngsters when grown? Remove all the tankmates that bother them while looking to spawn and let them have the run of this tank? Who knew. So many possibilities...

Heard a bit of splashing overnight. Not really unusual - silver dollars are skittish and big fish splash loudly.

This morning find the female Uaru wedged under a log. Free her but she can't swim upright. The log hadn't moved so obviously was frightened and wedged herself down there. So I've got her separated trying to get some recovery happening. The male wont leave the separator - even for food.

What a crap morning...

Sorry to hear that Duck. That must be disheartening. I hope she pulls through.

I have a what I think a pair myself. They haven't shown any sign of breeding. The female is picky on food. So, it's hard to fat her up with pellets. Loves fresh vegies & worms which I'm reluctant to feed.

She seems a bit more active this morning - but I think last night I was fooled. She probably just fluked getting upright, sitting in a ditch in the gravel.

Her balance is definitely affected.

There is no outward signs of aggression/injury. Not even a split fin. If it is a swim bladder or something - does anyone know how long it might take to come good? Or is it a lost cause?

Not sure how long to wait to pull the pin... I guess while she is alert/healthy enough to actively evade the net I will let her be.

Sometimes raising the temp a bit can help if its swim bladder bruising,

from past experience it can take up to 3 weeks on recovery all depends on the amount of bruising/damage, age of fish seems to affect healing time as well..

Hope she has a speedy recovery

And she's up!!! Big water change today (around 60%) - with a big dose of salt.

She's now swimming (and holding) upright and in mid water!!!

You beauty!!!

She looks like she's been knocked out for a couple of days - but she has. So, winning so far :-D

I think this is the biggest recovery I've seen. I'm so stoked right now.

Oh and Phenomena - mine aren't fussy at all, so can't comment. Mine readily take NLS and HIkari and another high protein pellet which I picked up to bulk up my toga.

They don't take to live shrimp - the oscar, toga and convict dominate those.

But yes, they do love vege's. Zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, spinach - whatever I have around.

Archived