Ad Konings

Josh

Hi all

Does anyone know when he is coming back to Australia? I know he is going to Melbourne and Brisbane and I am trying to organize a bus trip for our club to come see him at one of these venues.

Any help appreciated.

Josh

Hi Josh

After the last time when the NSWCS organised Ad to talk and organised a venue and all sorts of other huge raffles , a fish show and souvenir items .

Having had definite interest of some 200 odd members attending for absolutely no cost to members to hear this international speaker talk with a terrific visual presentation...come the day with enormous expense by the club and major time expended by the committee ,I think other then Sydney and Illawarra current and ex committee only about 6 members showed up!! It was a major embarrassment for the club!!

The reason myself and others felt no one could be bothered to see a speaker of this calibre for free (other clubs were charging anything above $50 to their members ) was there was no " FISH AUCTION " and despite all the howls by the majority of the membership on many occassions in the past that they do not only attend for the auctions ...it has been proven on many other occassions that no fish auction = no bother to show up.. the free members Xmas party is a perfect example!!

If you are going to organise a interstate trip to see this great man talk ...I would strongly recommend that any one that shows interest pay in full before you book anything!!!

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin

The people in the club (Illawarra)that have showed interest will not let me down. At this stage it is only people from our branch that have showed any interest in coming. I will probably put feelers out if I cant fill a 12 seater bus, but at this stage I am just trying to get dates.

I agree with what you said about the previous visit by Ad in Sydney and the "mini-auction" The club has had some really good speakers come in to the club to do talks over the last few years only to have the ruined by people talking through it.

Hi Josh

After the last time when the NSWCS organised Ad to talk and organised a venue and all sorts of other huge raffles , a fish show and souvenir items .

Having had definite interest of some 200 odd members attending for absolutely no cost to members to hear this international speaker talk with a terrific visual presentation...come the day with enormous expense by the club and major time expended by the committee ,I think other then Sydney and Illawarra current and ex committee only about 6 members showed up!! It was a major embarrassment for the club!!

The reason myself and others felt no one could be bothered to see a speaker of this calibre for free (other clubs were charging anything above $50 to their members ) was there was no " FISH AUCTION " and despite all the howls by the majority of the membership on many occassions in the past that they do not only attend for the auctions ...it has been proven on many other occassions that no fish auction = no bother to show up.. the free members Xmas party is a perfect example!!

If you are going to organise a interstate trip to see this great man talk ...I would strongly recommend that any one that shows interest pay in full before you book anything!!!

Regards

Kevin

If memory serves Kevin, the lack of people that showed might ahve helped in your bid to win the Major raffle on the day so it wasn't all bad :spaz: . Seriously though it was well worth the trip to talk to him he is great presenter and I recall that bothe Laurie and myself really enjoyed the day. As Kevin mentioned it was a real shame that more people didn't show. Perhaps next time advertise a fish auction and they will come :zipit: .

cheers

Rosco

I attended Ad's presentation in Brisbane last time he was in Australia a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed both the presentation and meeting and talking to Ad personally afterwards. He is an absolute gentleman and quite happily signed my collection of his books which I took along with me "just in case". I can't believe people didn't bother to turn up and see and meet him in Sydney, particularly at no cost to themselves. Their loss.

Cheers, Doug

its a shame that he is not coming to Sydney, I am sure there are many new members that would be interested in meeting him. Anyways I recall when Spencer Jack came it was a full night therefore I am sure the NSWCS should give it a go again.

regards

John

Hi Aussie

I believe that AD having returned from Lake Tanganyika is very concerned as the whole time he was there he did NOT see a single Tropheus Species at all. He has therefore asked the members to hang on to their Breeding Tropeus and make sure that we keep this beautiful species going strong.

I will try to confirm this before our next club meeting next week saturday for our members.

• 2 weeks later...

so does that mean any 'wild caught" for sale should be

1. questioned to their authenticity

2.questioned as to people wanting "wild caught" possibly being the reason these and so many other species are disappearing from the wild.

most people who claim to have wild caught fish actually do, it is always a trust thing, but if the person keeping them can verify what shipment they in on then that's usually good enough for me.

As for the second point and in tropheus's case that is most probably the reason are disappearing.

one must wonder about how many fish would be taken from the wild in total to supply the world demand for wild caught, when so many are caught in primitave fashion and the actual number caught to the number that survive for export.then the next stage of export and delivery to the customer.so how many fish actually died for you to get your colony of "six wild caught"fish that then a lot of people lose through the fish not adapting to aquarium conditions.

Fish are also the local populaces food supply. No idea that a tropheus tastes like but i am sure locals do. All we can do is continue to breed them and hope the fish survive and somehow manage to reappear in the wild

Archived