Uknown Cichlid

Juvv

oh ok aymenz, thanks alot! when i bought him i was told it was something else i think , they had soem weird name for it, they had like 6 names in whiteout on teh tank and he was trying to pickout which name it was, and it was $30!

i got it for $15 cause i knew the guy in the shop lol.

Juvv -

The fish looks like "Pseudotropheus" greshakei.

But I am concerned about the shape of the fish... seems a bit Aulonocara/Protomelas ish and my concern is regarding hybrids. However, this could just be the angle of the photo - would it be possible to take a few more and post them up??

I would have to agree with YeW - it definitely has some peacock in it. No Protomelas though in my books. I don't even think it looks like a mbuna - more pics please ;)

Definitely a male if it has had normal food - maybe you could wait until it colours up a bit more

It looks similar to my Red top Black bars when they are young and before they bar up. There's a hint of blue bar across the nose, and the egg spots indicate a male I think.

However, the top fin and the shape in general look all wrong to me, and I agree that aulonocara is a strong possiblilty.

How big is it now?

Please post more pics.

If you know the guy at the shop, why not ask him what it is supposed to be? That will give us a bit more to go on too.

For $30 normal retail it would want to be something a bit more special than a RTBB! :unsure:

Anita/ Yew

The fish in question is pseudotropheus greahski. Shape looks right... they are abit more pointed in the head as compared to other metriclima zebra variants ...

There is defintely no other peacock or protemelias in it.... The only concern qwould be if his parents were true greshaki or redtop black bar x gresahki... but he is a pure zebra....

Mike

aurea@optushome.com.au

I gotta go with Mike on this one.

The fish in question looks just like my M.greshakei did when they were small.

They are somtimes sold as Red Top Zebra, Red Top Mbenji and M.greshakei(may be more I don't know) but the name is M.greshakei. But bloody expensive price, IMO, for a greshakei

As Stated the male, if he is pure greshakei, will be pale blue with no barring when in full-display(they go so pale they almost appear white when really displaying).

HTH

Hmmm......I didn't think greshakei had that dark spot on edge of gill - close to the eyes, could be my inexperience talking though. I dont think it is x'd with a peacock as i think some mbuna such as M.Exasporus have a similar body shape to the fish in the photo. So if it is a X species i'd say it could be a pseudotropheus x Melanochromus. Just my input.

Melanochromus Exasporus: (Both pics)

http://www.gemi.at/georg/fish/Melanochromi...njohnsonae1.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/cichlidae/Malawi_g...anjohnsonae.jpg

Anthony :8

Hi,

Sure looks like Ps. greshakei but I'm with YeW and Anita. The shape isn't quite right :8 . I looks like it has Protomelas or Aulonocara in the mix. Maybe more photos would help ID.

merjo

Thanks for all your input fellas. I have seen a larger size of this fish when i bought mine, looked basically the same just larger (5cm's) which isnt that large ;)

here is 2 more pics ive taken.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~jacob/fish2.jpg

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~jacob/fish3.jpg

I have 2 lombardi's in the tank and they have the same features so its gotta be some sort of zebra.

Are we certain its a hybrid???? can someone post a pic of a RTBB Juvie so we can comfirm if it is one???? Is it possable that it is a species that hasnt been in circulation for a while??? or a species that is new or not herd of in our country???

Anthony :8

it seems to me a red top zebar.... sorry i don't know the scientific name.....

all i know is that it's from the pseudotropheus family.... like the black bar red top zebra......

c ya.

:^:

Archived