Should i put substrate in my breeding tanks

Kartoon

Hi All

Just wondering if i should put some substrate into my breeding tank. I have a 4ft tank with about 15 salousi in it and am wondering if it would be benificial to have the substrate in there. They are not breeding yet but was just wondering :)

Cheers

There is only 2 reasons to include substrate for Malawis :The reflection if its bothering the fish and as a buffer.If you have a sump etc that has coral grit then its not an issue.It certainly helps siphoning the crud if there is no substrate (hence discus keepers have no substrate as a rule)For a breeding tank dont use it,for a display tank it looks much better and the fish will be more comfortable

i use bare bottoms except for shellies who like to dig shells into the sand and if i had feather fins or sand sifters i would....oh and i have sand in a breeding tropheus tank because.....well no reason i just wanted to

Thanks for that guys.

Malrift interesting you mention cleaning gills as i notice all my salousi at times rub against the glas bottom or the pots and rocks i have in there. Like they are trying to rub something of them. Is that what they sre trying to do?

Cheers

possibly or marking territories. I just find a little bit of sand on the bottom helps settle them down and you can actually see them use the sand for this. A mate of mine a few years back had over 1000 tanks and would not set up tanks without it had the largest range of africans I have ever seen in one room.

If the fish are rubbing/flashing against objects, i would check your water parameters. it's a first sign of them not being happy and can be onset of white spot.

I too would not setup any tanks without any substrate. In saying that I only have a very very thin layer. 3mm max so it's easy to clean.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I use crushed coral as substrate int breeding tanks and just recently started using sand. I found with the sand aswell alot of the species do user it to clean there gills and make little pits in it. Even with the crushed coral the fish sift through it for food particles and I suppose it gives them something to do which I believe makes a happier environment for them to live in.

I prefer to use substrate to try and make it a more natural environment for the fish to live in, I had a few tanks that had nothing in the bottom and found them to be vary skittish.

As far as cleaning the substrate I have trumpet snails and brisstle nose to do most of that job for me, if the waist builds up to much I'll give it a bit of a vacuum. I don't have the to much covering the bottom, just enough to cover the glass.

Cheers,

Steve

I always used it in my display tanks, not so much in my breeding tanks, unless the particular fish needed it. Its really personal preference really.

fish can't see their reflection in the base, to them they can just see whatever is under your tank, look down through the top of your tank and you'll see what they see

Archived