Fish dying fast!

moldyform

Gday

ive got a community tank with tetra, guppies, silver sharks and bristle nose. The fish are all starting to die off. Ive checked the water quality and it all seems fine and is as follows

ph:7.5

ammonia:0

GH:160

nitrates:0

temp:28

The fish are in top notch condition then with in a day they start to loose their balance and go in rapid circles. Also a few tetras became bloated and then die. Once they die the majority look healthy and perfect condition. So far ive had die about 30 guppies, silver shark, 30 neons, guramie, and some rummy nose tetra.

Ive gone back over teh changes ive made in the last month or so but cant see anything that would trigger this. Some things ive done was

• Start up my second canister filter after a break.
  • added a stack of plants
  • added a small amount of pond weed form out door gold fish pond.
  • added T5 lighting (some blue tubes as they were from a marine tank)

Any suggestions? Ive done a 65% water change but still had a few guppies doing upside down laps with reverse twists this morning.

Cheers

A lot of factors may come into this mix but things to start with

7.5ph is too high for neons, yes some may survive but its way out of their parameters they prefer soft water 5-7ph although other tetras will do fine at this ph

temp is also too high for neons and guppys they both prefer temperate temps of 18 - 24 a too high temp with guppys can bring on camallaris (SP)

These are just the basic

also what is the

KH and nitrites they may also play a part in the problem

Rapid circles can also mean some form of toxin in the water, which may be affecting the fish that are under stress, can also be an indication of worms

• Start up my second canister filter after a break.

When you say after a break, how long do you mean?. Was the filter cleaned before you put it back in the tank?

It could be that there were some nasties within the filter media which would have been pumped around the tank when you started it back up again.

Are you sure of your readings? Fish dying rapidly is usually due to ammonia spikes or even nitrite spikes in my experience.

I assume you tank is well aerated. You have lost quite a few fish. Not sure of your tank size but if it is small and you have heaps of fish, combined with high temperature, oxygen gets stripped from the tank pretty fast.

Also, how long has the tank been setup for?

Hope it comes good for you.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive had the tank set up for about 3 years as a community tank. The silver shark that dies was about 4 years old.

Ok so ill drop the temp down to 25 and reduce the ph to 7. How will other fish tolerate these conditions?

Yes im farirly certiain about the water quality. Tested in number of times and double checked at the fish shop. However i havent checked teh nitrite yet I dont think. The guppies seem to be breeding quiet well still tho.

The tank is 6x2x2. Im using a blower to airate the water.

The canister filter was leaking through the bung on top so i siliconed it up. It was not reconnected for about 3 weeks after i sealed it. I cleaned it out thougherly after i disconnected it but didnt wash it out before reconnecting it back to the tank.

So im wondering what i should do from here? Do more water changes and bring ph and temp down?

Do you have any fish on the pond? Is it possible you introduce a disease/contaminate from the pond to your tank?

the PH is fine for the guppies, but not for the neons,

0 nitrates is possible in a well planted tank..

As per Ducksta if not a spray recently, any hand creams been used lately as toxins can be introduced in many ways .

Josh, yep ive got a few gold fish in the pond. I just grabbed a hand full of the pond weed out of it. Suppose that is a possibility.

Im just using ANI test kit for the nitrates. I did another test last night and it is pretty much 0 now.

Litho, i have 2 aqua one 1200 filters. one has been running continuously for about 3 months with out a clean so it should be running pretty ok. The repaired filter was a fresh start, complete clean out and sat for a about 3 weeks before i reconnected it.

Also what the best way to get the temperature down these days? I have the heater set on 23 and it is staying on a constant 27.

Ive still got a reading of 5 for nitrates. What could be causing that?

Had a cherry barb die yesty and it was bloated to the max before it died and by the morning when i went to get it out it was covered in a white hair fungus!!! Really bazzar!

Ive still got a reading of 5 for nitrates. What could be causing that?

Had a cherry barb die yesty and it was bloated to the max before it died and by the morning when i went to get it out it was covered in a white hair fungus!!! Really bazzar!

Nitrate is the end result of the nitrogen cycle. Correct me if I missed something but you had nitrates readings of 0 and now it is 5, unless you are running a well planted tank, it sounds to me like your tank has gone through a new cycle. Shame you didn't measure nitrites along the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Its all started to finally settle down. The surviving fish must be top notch quality to have survived the epidemic.

However, Im not sure if its related or not but im now starting to get large amounts of green hair algae. Will any fish clean this up? Or is there some treatment other then pulling the individual strands that are rappidly taking over?

Archived