Camera options

obsessed1

Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on what the best entry level digital SLR kind of camera would be . I want one for all of the usual family type everyday photos, close up photos of stock (ebay selling) and also for some amateur photos of my fish. I have only used the standard digital point and shoot types since using the old SLRs in high school photography.

I would also prefer not to have to be changing lenses and or filters and that kind of stuff if I can get away with it.

I'm looking at spending up to $500 but possibly a bit more if need be (for christmas of course!).

Any help would be great as I really don't want to have to go into Harvey Norman or anywhere and get talked into something I won't know how to use.

Thanks, Ben

for an entry level DSLR i would be looking at something like the canon EOS 550d but that has interchangeable lenses, with an SLR i don't think you could ever not change the lens...the way i would avoid to be changing lenses is to get one that has a wide focal range, the 550d is a bit more than what your asking, which is closer to the $700 mark... but this is just a heads up.

dont think you can get dslr kits for under 500.. camera body only maybe?

personally if your serious about your photography and dont want to spend big $$

get a second hand canon in good nick, purchase yourself a decent lens

this way you can experiment and get to know the pros and cons, what sort of photos you will use it for etc

then when your comfortable and still interested you can splash out of some decent equipment

Hey Ben,

If your not going to be changing lenses then forget about digital slr's. You are wasting your money and the primary benefit of the camera's design.

You are better off going with a high range P&S - you will want a macro ability on it if you want photo's of your fish to come out well.

Can't think of P&S models for you as I'm a dSLR man. Perhaps the canon ixus or powershot types will be of help.

Regards,

John

The Super-zoom cameras aren't bad if your looking for an all in one type camera. Most of these have optical zooms up to 35x. Panasonic DMC FZ 100 has been good, but most places have run out of these guys while waiting for a new model. Canon, Nikon, Sony all have these types of camera and have received a reasonable wrap. These cameras also come with HD video.

There are plenty of reviews online to scroll through if you're interested.

Bruce

Hey Ben

Can you change your profile pic for me. I keep reading all your threads just so I can look at it! :coolpics:

Josh

No way Josh! I went into my profile last night and was wondering why there had been so many profile views.....then the penny dropped! :lol3:

Hey Ben,

If your not going to be changing lenses then forget about digital slr's. You are wasting your money and the primary benefit of the camera's design.

You are better off going with a high range P&S - you will want a macro ability on it if you want photo's of your fish to come out well.

Can't think of P&S models for you as I'm a dSLR man. Perhaps the canon ixus or powershot types will be of help.

Regards,

John

I don't think this is entirely accurate.

You can get an entry level DSLR with an all purpose lens. Or a kit that comes with 2 lenses like this one.

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/canon-1100d-grey-digital-slr-camera-kit-w-ef-s-18-55mm-is-usm-lens-and-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-lens

An entry level DSLR will out perform P&S cameras any day of the week.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

I think I've found a decent camera at a good price but was wondering if anyone could check the specs for me to see what they think?

http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/product_details.page?DCRPath=templatedata/en_AU/saleable_product_information/data/Digital%20Compact%20Cameras/Performance/COOLPIX%20P500.xml&currentProductTab=2&CategoryID=gp11zkmo

I've only just seen your post tonight Lepperfish and your link won't work for me.

Thanks heaps, Ben

your link is for a bridging digital that is between the P&S and a DSLR

the lense is not interchangable but will probably give you what your looking

for at the price

have a look at a D3100 if you want a Nikon DSLR entry

check here

http://www.kogan.com...n-dslr-cameras/

utube run down for D3100

#!

I just bought a Cannon 600D with 2 lenses cost + freight was $860 and they

sell for around $1300.00 very happy with the pics but lots of learning ahead

Chris

Thanks Chris

From what the guys have said about the lenses and for what I'll be using it for I've gone off the idea of a DSLR at this stage. The P500 is on sale at Domayne for $560, JB HiFi for $497 but I've since found them on online camera shops for around $350-370 including shipping and warranty's.

From what I could decipher from what I was being told in the shops and the online reviews it seems like a good camera for the money but apart from the total basics like optical zoom, megapixels and the brand there isn't much else that makes sense to me without reading the manual. :blink

Archived