NLS question and testimonial

couchy

• 2 weeks later...
But the fan-boy-ism demonstrated on forums is absolutely laughable

The problem is duck, that as NLS has no competition regarding its quality, an advocate of NLS can't recommend foods other than NLS. Most people don't understand, or perhaps want to take on board for personal and/or prejudicial reasons that NLS is a huge leap forward as far as fish nutrition is concerned. There has been all sorts of technological advancements in our hobby, but not with food till NLS came along. Just the fact you can feed NLS to Tropheus and carnivores such as calvus alike is a massive improvement, that is hardly mentioned, but it completely opens up what Africans can be kept in the same tank.

I hope that NLS will cause other manufactures to lift their game and compete with where the bar NLS has set, but I hear no other "fan-boy-ism" for other new an upcoming commercially available dry foods.

Sign me up!

I'm with Craig(and others)

I'm an NLS convert....and now buy it by the bucket!

Even my "Wild" bettas love it!

Perhaps there are other great foods on the market....but as my Father says "if it ain't broke....don't fix it!"

ps I imagine Mbuna grow bigger in Aquaria because they don't have to worry about being a meal themselves.....less stress so they get fatter?.....but I do wonder....I believe most of us overfeed our fish!

Comming from a science background I know for a fact that one food supply cannot be the same as natural wild products that are fish consume. Although NLS is a great product, it is silly to think that you can only consume NLS as a stable diet, because firstly as a comparison with other high range products like Sera and Hikari, there is deficits in each products. Therefore a balance of each is required.

Cheers

John

Comming from a science background I know for a fact that one food supply cannot be the same as natural wild products that are fish consume. Although NLS is a great product, it is silly to think that you can only consume NLS as a stable diet, because firstly as a comparison with other high range products like Sera and Hikari, there is deficits in each products. Therefore a balance of each is required.

Cheers

John

That's just it NLS isn't A food, it is lots of different foods in a pellet. All the mineral and nutrient requirements for fish were included in this commercial food.

That are not the same wild foods. For my mbuna, the natural wild food is nutrient deficient so the wild mbuna spend many hours a day grazing, eating large amounts of food to get their daily requirments of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. NLS is designed to supply fish with their essentials in one small meal a day, while being kind to their digestive tract.

This makes interesting reading.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/b...fdarttepoot.htm

Oh and I feed my shop with NLS. All purpose, Cichlid and Grow for the fry and tetras.

Grow is the perfect size for most common Characidae, but I've recently switched their staple to Small Fish Formula - same size, less protein. With that said I never had any issues with bloating with Grow.

In regards to the topic, particularly people who believe Hikari is a top range feed, there's a pretty decent (albeit messy/full of crap) thread on the subject here: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=284825

I hope that NLS will cause other manufactures to lift their game and compete with where the bar NLS has set, but I hear no other "fan-boy-ism" for other new an upcoming commercially available dry foods.

Craig, as I said, the food is sensational, I use it exclusively and recommend it to everyone who asks me directly. I don't bother so much on forums as what needs to be said is usually covered quickly by people who seem to have more time than me to give some spectacularly helpful and informative answers. I certainly don't need convincing that when questions are asked NLS should be promoted as probably the best food (I don't actually know what is new or has changed for the last 5 years but seems NLS is still well ahead)

Regarding "fan-boy-ism", there is plenty of it especially on the US based sites, just as much of it is for other brands. Taking a quick look at Japes' link, Hikari fan-boys abound (although recognising a few of those names from 10+ years ago when I used to mod on a US based fish forum, I suspect some of the Hikari love is just as much "let's get a bite" as true brand loyalty) So I'd say if you're not hearing any fan-boy-ism for other brands I guess you have just tuned out to all the posts that aren't quite singing the praises of NLS (in between all the NLS love). :lol2:

I have simply noticed (since my return to fish forum life last year) that NLS advocates are quite often the most vocal.

(Edit: Actually I will say that on other forums, NLS "haters" seem very good at provoking a lot of the responses.)

This thread isn't really the prime example of the phenomenon, I think it is just the first place I decided to comment in a thread about NLS. And my comment wasn't deriding NLS it was just poking holes in the argument about captive vs wild fish sizes being a key indicator of food quality. I think anyway... It was quite a while ago...

To Craig

I should post some pics of my MTS that I keep with my brevis.....

I add salts to their tanks to keep water quality high and feed only NLS

The MTS are magnificent.....very shape pointed shells

patterned at blunt end....bright orange at pointy end

That NLS certainly brings out their colours.....

and the brevis look Good too!

Easy way to tell place a micron filter at the start of your filtration process. Check to see how much waste it catches this will tell you how much the fish have used through the diestion process.

The more it catches the less the fish has used the less it catches the more the fish has used for its own nutrition.

I or one will never use a food that is not used in its hatchery through all stages of growth.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this post I didn't mean for it to turn into another "fanboyism" NLS post and it has developed that way.

The downside i've noticed, a month on, is the amount of waste.

My water change routine doesn't keep up since changing to NLS? Which means more time in the fish room. The misses will love that?? :B

Cheers Couchy :thumbup:

To Craig

:lol3::lol3: Where's the photos mate?

When I started this post I didn't mean for it to turn into another "fanboyism" NLS post and it has developed that way.

agree, sorry if I contributed to that :blink

I found that the waste was heavier (?) and richer in colour, kind of making it more prominent. But I never came to a conclusion as to whether or not there was more waste produced. Perhaps you are putting in more than is required. Less food is needed when NLS is fed, so my faulty logic says that if you feed the same volumes as with other foods, perhaps more waste is produced as the fish are past the nutritional “first click”, if there is such a thing.

I personally think volumes required to correctly (not too much nor too little) is one of the hardest and most overlooked balances to get right. Try feeding less and re-evaluating after 2-3 months.

To Craig

:lol3::lol3: Where's the photos mate?

;)

IPB Image

Archived