NLS question and testimonial

couchy

I have used NLS fry grow for my fry on and off for years. I have always used good foods for my breeders and display tanks but never NLS. I started using NLS medium cichlid food less than a week ago and already seeing great results. My dimi strigatus has coloured up better than ever before and started breeding again after a year off breeding. I have considered moving them on through frustration but they are finally active again. A lot of my other breeders are starting to muck around a lot more and are more active also colour looks great on a lot of the fish. Don't want to add to the hype but excellent results speak for themselves.

The question though is my fish room stinks of garlic, has anyone else had this with NLS? don't think it's listed as an ingredient? Also can't smell garlic on the food itself?

Have noticed the smell of garlic in bags of fish i've bought lately through the meetings etc. I know some foods use garlic.

Cheers Couchy :thumbup:

its one of the main ingredients in nls, i think is equal parts spirulina & garlic.

and its double the amount of garlic if you feed thera A

not a great deal you can do about it. just one of those things that come with the use of nls.

keep your water changes up and ventilate your room is about all the advice i got.

anyone else got any ideas?

been using it since i got back into the hobby and love the stuff, ive never used a fish food that makes them grow so fast so quickely and brings out colour so well. It never gets rejected either which is fantastic.

And yes between NLS and SERA flora my fish always look happy..

By mixing NLS with another food, you are lowering the overall quality of what your fish are consuming.

Days gone by, the need to feed a variety of foods was recommended due to they all being deficient in one or more areas, and feeding a variety would cover these deficiencies.

In addition, most if not all commercially available dry foods use cheap fillers to bulk out their foods with little to no nutritional value to the fish (who just poop it out making more waste in the tank).

So to feed NLS + what ever you are introducing cheap fillers that NLS does not have, and getting no additional value for your fish.

That's why it is recommended to feed NLS exclusively as it is an all round food which can be feed exclusively with no cheap fillers designed to please your eye (and manufacture's pocket) and not the fish's nutritional requirements.

Garlic has medicinal value for us and for fish. Research into the amount of garlic required for the fish to gain benefit was used and several times the minimum amount is added to the food. I think they all smell like garlic, though Thera A has the most, it just depends on wether or not you’re receptive to the odour. I can't smell it at all, but I know it is there.

thanks

but i am sure not 1 person can say sera flora is a cheap filler..I use nearly whole range of NLS but never i would put down sera flora very good flake food..I am sure all will agree :)

I just happened to get a very good price and bought a bucket this is why i have both...

i use to feed my fish exclusively on certain brand of food but not anymore!

always try to give your fish a variety of choice/types/brands...ALWAYS!

why go exclusive when you have choices?

u can't eat the blooday meat pie all year round, can ya?

thanks

but i am sure not 1 person can say sera flora is a cheap filler..I use nearly whole range of NLS but never i would put down sera flora very good flake food..I am sure all will agree :)

I just happened to get a very good price and bought a bucket this is why i have both...

I'm not saying Sera Flora is a cheap filler, I am saying it will have cheap fillers as part of its recipe. It used to, has it changed? I haven't looked at their ingredients for years, but I doubt that its basic recipe has altered that much.

Days gone by, feeding a variety of commercial dry foods was a must, it was something that was recommended and was required.

With NLS it is not needed, and while it's great to get a good deal on a food, and at the end of the day I dare say you won't see a difference with your fish if you feed NLS + ?, it is simply better to not do so. Feeding appropriate frozen foods and live foods can only be good, but NLS is the best dry food commercially prepared on the market, it raised the bar as far as commercially available dry foods is concerned, and to the best of my knowledge, it is still the best. As part of the new standards that NLS bring, the old tied cliché of feeding a variety is just that, old, but still current when feeding dry foods other than NLS.

If you feed other commercially produced dry foods which is your choice to make, then by all means you will need to feed a variety. But if you feed NLS, you don't.

BTW LithoMan, these comments are not directed at you :no: , just for other new readers to read who may not understand that the fact NLS is produced with higher standards, and the old rules don't apply :thumb

all the best

C Thompson wrote:

"I haven't looked at their ingredients for years, but I doubt that its basic recipe has altered that much."

Maybe the ingredients have changed. Maybe it is better or worse.

NLS has raised the bar so it may be worthwhile checking other brands to see if they have also raised the bar,and it could be at a competitive price.

that's just it. NLS is variety. Look at the list of ingredients. The variety is provided in the ingredients.

All fish require the same basic vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Pablo Tepoot proved it, but it makes sense, when you fillet a fish you can tell it is made of fish meat, which required the same stuff to build up. NLS is formulated to provide all requirements, but also to cater for the needs of digestive tracts of herbivores and carnuvores. In Lake Malawi most mbuna scrape algae all day and when there is a zooplankton bloom they might eat that too. Not much variety there.

From personal cummunication with Paul Talbot mbuna do not reach the same size in the lake as they do in our tanks. Directly related to the improved diet in the aquarium. So feeding a variety actually does stuff all except make us feel like we are doing the right thing, when feeding NLS.

"From personal cummunication with Paul Talbot mbuna do not reach the same size in the lake as they do in our tanks. Directly related to the improved diet in the aquarium. So feeding a variety actually does stuff all except make us feel like we are doing the right thing, when feeding NLS."

More likely they get a lot more food in a tank than they do in the lake.

Consequently they grow faster and fatter.

If you look at some fish in Lake Malawi they are quite thin.

Captive fish were growing bigger due to a more nutrient rich diet long before NLS came about... And in the hands of a great many people who didn't feed some magical variety of food either.

A good chunk of what a wild fish ingests (whether they be carnivores or herbivores or omnivores) is actually going to be nutrient deficient. ie. a predator ingests large amounts of shells and bones as part of the natural diet, etc.

It's why I find it funny that so many people make the comment about 'useless fillers' in the food.

FYI I feed NLS exclusively because it is a good food, maybe even a great food. But the fan-boy-ism demonstrated on forums is absolutely laughable.

I guess the point I was trying to make that variety and balance is built into high quality staple foods.

Less fillers means less waste and more efficient utilisation of the nutrients by the fish's body. And the fish thrive on a smaller mass/volume of food.

And because this thread was about NLS I have focused on this food.

Archived