Questions about certain Species...

cooder

Hey all,

Ive just got questions about Triglachromis Ostostigma: Would i be able to put some in my 4ft tang community? It has 3 leleupi, 2 brichardi (males) 1 julie ornatus (soon to be more) 1 N. Tret, 1 Syno Petricola (soon to be more) and hopefully soon a school of Cyp leptosoma utinta/mpulungu. and maybe some calvus. Trigs are trully beautiful fish! i would take these over tropheus or fronts or cyps or anything! except shellies! I might also have some gold occies temporarly before i setup and cycle there tank. I havnt done much research on them, and will but i would like you opinions

Also Could i add another tret or two to my tank? from what ive read these are extremely aggressive if kept with other trets in a tang community and wont tollerate anyone in there territory. if you get a pair they kill all the other fish and if you dont they kill eachother. thats what ive read. but ive seen tanks on here and another forum that have a number of adult trets in a community, with other tangs. Would this be possible? if its too much a risk then i wont.

The triglachromis would make an excellent adittion to my tank and basicly im trying to add as many species into the community thats harmoniously possible. and as many as the system can handle.

Ive got an aquis 1000 canister as a filter. currently my air pump is broken so need a new one. ph is between 8.5 and 9.0 not sure about gh and stuff because dont have test kit but use seachem buffer and tang salts. all activty in tank is normal

Cody

Well yes a bigger tank would be the answer. my plan for the far future is a 6x2x2. its just i dont have the money or space for that yet. My lemons havnt spawned once, let alone even paired. i think ive got 2 females and a male. The brichardi are both male (i think). i cant get anymore ornatus, but i can get transctripitus gombe. i was going to get about 4. My intentions for this tank is to be a community, but if pairs were formed i would move them to another tank, to breed.

Calvus ive decided to reserve for my 3 foot God occie tank.with maybe some julies?

Ill scrap the tret idea. But i love the look of these trigs. i read up a bit abot them last night and google reckons that this fish is a muddwelling bi-parental mouth brooder. it was hard to find some good reccomendations on tank size ect. actually it was hard to find any info at all

Heres a pic of the layout of my tank. maybe i could lose the rock pile on the right to make floor space for trigs? or minimize its size?

IPB Image

Cody

Ive read on The Cichlid Roon Companion that trigs are not good with tank mates, one persona experience was that the trigs ate all the paracyprichromis. I guess with your tank mates it won't be a problem though. They seem very peaceful but defend their territory all the time. Usually only by flaring up and that's it...

From looking at your tank?

Thoose rocks take a lot of water area up

Meaning that it makes less room for the fish

I'd be cutting down on the rocks because your 4fter has become a 3fter if you get what i mean

Trigs & Cyp's like plenty of open water swimming space, but your 4fter planned better should be fine without the trets.

Do a goggle search and look at tank setups should help you

Your tret looks small so will be ok for a while but later on !!!!!! look out :confused:

just reread your last reply,

leave rocks at both ends would be my advice and add a cave at each end, flower pot cut in half works great

but lose some of the lg rocks will help you

The shellies will like the caves

Ok...Thanks for all your posts.

I wont be getting any trigs any-time-soon, and will be setting up a occie/stappersi tank with maybe some julies. (my intention is to get the tank first then the occies but it may not work outlike that) cyps arent for sure as i dont know where i can get them. i could substitute cyps with trigs?

So if i got trigs i would have to take some of the rocks out on the right side. leave some smaller rocks for caves.

Anyway ill be thinking about it...

Cody

Trigs will compete for same area as the shellies you have

The Cyp's are open water swimmers so mid to top of tank

They go together fine but you have mentioned a lot of bottom fish :shock: ,trigs,occies,julies,t gombe,lemons,etc

efc01 has a good pick of fish that will give you a good display or something similar.

Yeh well i know what you mean Dobbin4. thats why i have lots of rocks. The Occies and Calvus, ive decided will be in a different tank.

Trigs are bottom dwellers but they dont use MUCH rocks as shelter right? Aslong as there is no breeding with the julies then i should be right? Maybe leave the one ornatus as a display fish an have a crack at spawning J.T.Gombes in with the occies and calvus?

Then have some trigs and cyps. Cyps for top of the water column, Trigs for the bottom, open, sandy region and the rest for the rocks. One of the main piece of advice that i got from my LFS is that you should pack the species in (responsibly and practically of course!) so that the dominants dont get it in their heads that they can own the whole tank.

Also the next problem is affording them. From Majestic Aquariums is flamin 599 bucks for 6 cyp. lept sp. plus 90 bucks a box postage. im not paying that much for 6 fish. :angry:<_<

The trigs are expensive too: $159 for 2 plus 90 postage! i can afford the trigs, just! but can only afford a pair! :(

Anyone got any cheaper contacts??

Thanks for the idea, but i think i still like the look of the trigs more. Ive got a whole list of fish that i woud like but i can only afford 1 type. I suppose its what i want the most...which is trigs :B

Ill be looking for cheaper prices than $ 79 each.

Does anyone know any sources for these at reasonable prices??

Also some tips on keeping and caring for them would be great. Ive been searching on google for information but i cant find any decent articles.

Cody

Yeh has anyone?

I have access to a 6x2x2 that has a broken front pane of glass. The Agriculture department from my high school is selling it. $150 dollars though for a well used broken 6x2x2? Is it worth replacing the glass?

I have 6 trigs but they are not big enough to breed yet and i have them in a 3 ft tank and they seem quite peaceful!!!

I bought them from St George aquariums cooder and they were $55 dollars each. Good size too! Probably around 7cms.

I thought you had some Michiel???

Cheers,

Damo

Thanks for the source Damo.

Do you know wether they can ship them up to CQ? ill give them a ring, Oh and ill ask them about some other species too.

Thanks again,

Cody

I have 6 trigs but they are not big enough to breed yet and i have them in a 3 ft tank and they seem quite peaceful!!!

I bought them from St George aquariums cooder and they were $55 dollars each. Good size too! Probably around 7cms.

I thought you had some Michiel???

Cheers,

Damo

Hi Damo

Good choice as they are my fish :thumbup:

Cooder, they will provide so much joy! And no, I don't have any for sale :lol3:

Michiel

lol, Im reading it now! Its mostly comments and stuff but im still looking! In one of the posts it said that they need fine grained sand. Would coral sand be sufficient? its about 1mm. ill have to get another bag or so.

Ive made a decission that im going to get some of these. Im trying to avoid AT ALL COSTS paying $249 for 2 from Majestic aquariums. From other sources they say they are extremely difficult to breed, but the Trigs on that post were breeding within the first 2 months. How many should i get so i can get a pair? Im not expecting them to breed, but how could i increase the chances of geting a breeding pair?

Cody

Ring St George tomorrow cooder i think they have 4 for $200 and they are a good size! they are only open Tuesday to saturday, so see if they will ship!

Its defintely worth a phone call!

Thanks for that link Chris it was a great read!

Cheers,

Damo

Hey

Best to buy at least 6 and hope for a pair to form

I only was able to get 2 but a male and female at fully grown size yet still haven't bred after 3 months

They're peaceful to their own kind but I've seen them go flaring up and attacking the glass when they can see fish in the tank next to them

I've also read if in a community that they either eat other fish or only flare up and defend territory. They're really defensive

Archived