Questions about certain Species...

cooder

Ive got a source for all tangs now. Its Smiths Aquarium aka Qld Cichlid Group. They have trigs for $59 each or deals for 3 or 5 ect. And cyps! If they cant ship ill be down to Boondal in August. I hope they can ship.

St george aquarims doesnt ship.

Does killiguy have some?

I have Limnochromis auritus that I suggested as an alternative(but a poor one looking at the photos of the trigs)

Im about to sell several hundred auritus to Bay for $1.00 each :cryblow: so you'll be able to get some very cheaply from your LFS

They have huge mouthfuls(+300)

Should have fed them to my other fish while I had the chance :angry:

lol you can have them. He has to get back to the air freight people to see the prices and how long it will take. If hes not able to ship ill get some trigs,cyps and maybe some occies when i visit his shop in august. If only i lived close to his shop!

Just curious: Where in Qld is Cashmere? is it on the coast? Im up near Rockhampton.

Cody

Edit: I just remembered to ask what is a good diet for trigs? same as other tangs? brine shrimp? blood worms? floating pellets?

What should i feed them?

Haha alright :)

It's on the Northside of Brisbane, about 30mins from the city...

I used to live in Biloela, that's near Rocky isn't it? it's been about 7yrs now since I was there

I feed my Trigs NLS 1mm cichlid formula and occasionally brine shrimp and Sera spirulina tablets (half a tablet)

EDIT: the trigs at Smiths Aquarium are $55ea and they're be about 13cm

Yeh it is. its about 2 hrs inland from Rocky. I actually live about 18 kms outside of Yeppoon, if were getting technical :lol1::8

WOW 13 cm? he didnt tell me they were that big! i thought they only got to 12 cm. hopefully ill get 10 or so cyps while im getting them. Ive seen lots of trig tanks with PVC pipes for shelter. apparently thats the best for them so im going to try to use some in my tank when i get my trigs. Ill just have to figure out how to make it look natural with rocks maybe on top of it or something.

Cant wait until i can get down there!

Ive got a fair amount of rock work in my tank as shown on first page, and im going to take some out, but is it possible that trigs might dig around the rock work and make it collapse? And will they uproot my java fern? if they do ill just tie them to some of the rocks.

Also, what age/size is sexually mature?

EDIT: Shon, would you be able to post some pics of your trigs plz?

I tried taking pictures of my Trigs but they just hide all the time

I didn't take them out to measure either

The adult sized ones at Smiths are gone :(

Only 5cm ones left

I am unsure of sexual maturity but like most tangs, they probably start breeding small. Although mine haven't sigh

Yeah they're mad diggers, little bulldozers in the tank

Every bit of sand will be moved to the front of the glass no matter what you do :)

i would take 5cm ones. anyway by the time i get down there to get them they will be twice the size lol.

LOL @ Shon.

Ive got some Questions about Cyps now. How do you strip them? I have never stripped a mouthbrooder before and would like to know how to do it.

Also, When do you strip them? when the fry become free swimming?

Ive read in "The Cichlid Aquarium": " 'It is a simple matter to remove fry from the buccal cavity of females 3 to 4 inches and larger. Hold the female within the folds of a net hed down over a container filled with water from the nurser tank. Gently pull open her lower jaw and immerse her head in the vessel. The young usually swim out into the container without further urging, though gentle shaking may be required to dislodge the last few from there refuge.

Smaller species must be handled differently. The easiest way to dislodge fry is to insert the female head down in an ordinary kitchen baster from which the squeeze bulb has been remove. Replace the bulb and insert the tip of the baster into a container filled with water from the nursery tank. Squeeze the bulb gently several times to fore water back an forth through the females buccal cavity. This fluse the fry into the recieving contaniner' "

Is this how you guys do it? Any other techniques that you guys use. If you do, Please share these with me!

Cody

PS: it also says in The Cichlid Aquarium that the reason to strip is to avoid over parental care, as such. take the fry of the female so that she can eat properly.

Yeah it's not that hard to strip fish

I now have an egg tumbler so if I strip fish and they're not free swimming, they go into the egg tumbler

Cyps don't eat their fry I don't think so you should be right when them, but depends on their tank mates

Cody, join QLDAF!

I suppose i could. Ok. Ill be Cooder!

Ive got N. Brichardi, N. Leleupi, N. Tretocephalus and J.Ornatus. So i think they would make a snack out of Cyp fry. :p

I think ill see if i can take some nice snaps of my tank and fish... actually tomorrow because im doing a water change. If i can get the camera to be obedient!

• 1 month later...

Cooder,...

first join the cq site

call smiths and get them to ship the trigs for you.

I have just bought Shons pair of trigs.

i could show you how to strip mouth brooders

you probably have one of my tret fry or leleupi fry if bought in Rocky

But the best part is Yes, i live in Rocky!

You need a bigger tank,

I would.....

buy a 6x2x2 from redhill. 3 large rockpiles

add

4 trets max, I can help here! lol

leleupi

cyps or another open water swimmer featherfins, spilopterous ect

regani

syno catfish

occies or brevis they have enough attitude.

calvus

what ever else you have lying around

then in your three footer add 4 trigs, wait for them to pair and remove excess fish to the display tank.. A display tank is not ment to produce commercial quantities of fry, they are called species tanks!

buy more tanks or be happy with an awsome looking display tank.

my 8 footer has 6 trets, 1leleupi, 3 tropheus, 1 firefin comp, 3 cylindricus, 6 sexfasciatus, 3 brevis, 3 syn decorus, pair of pulchers, all playing happy, will be very interesting when they try to spawn, (tickets will be available through ticket tec lol)

oh and the comments about tropheus and trigs is naive!!!, but I am biased.

Yeh, that is the best idea trofius, but 6x2x2 = ALOT of $$$. I dont have alot of money, nor do i have willing parents.

They would say shove it up your bum. your not getting a bigger tank.+ im still in debt from my 4fter.

SO, basicly im going to have to make do with a 4fter. I am deffinatley getting a 6x2x2 in the future.

BTW: my school has a 6x2x2 tank that has a broken front pane of glass they are selling for $150.

Do you think its worth buying it and storing i for later refeence when i have some money? Build a stand, get a couple of canisters...

Watcha think?

PS:What is the CQ forum called

i've just added a pair (sub adult 7cm? bit smaller for the girl).

they hang out together in my standard 4foot community but they defintiely aren't aggressive at all towards other fish yet (though it may change once it's ready to spawn).

I can tell you my smaller C. macrops male is trying to make with both of them! lol

my S. tinanti also is about the same size and it can easily scare them off.

I've only had them for few days so lets see how it plays out.

Best $30 i have ever spent on the pair. their colour and patterns are like hypnotizing!

Yeh, that is the best idea trofius, but 6x2x2 = ALOT of $$$. I dont have alot of money, nor do i have willing parents.

They would say shove it up your bum. your not getting a bigger tank.+ im still in debt from my 4fter.

SO, basicly im going to have to make do with a 4fter. I am deffinatley getting a 6x2x2 in the future.

BTW: my school has a 6x2x2 tank that has a broken front pane of glass they are selling for $150.

Do you think its worth buying it and storing i for later refeence when i have some money? Build a stand, get a couple of canisters...

Watcha think?

PS:What is the CQ forum called

I wouldnt touch that 6x2x2, save a get a new decent one.

LOL @ Shon.

Ive got some Questions about Cyps now. How do you strip them? I have never stripped a mouthbrooder before and would like to know how to do it.

Also, When do you strip them? when the fry become free swimming?

Ive read in "The Cichlid Aquarium": " 'It is a simple matter to remove fry from the buccal cavity of females 3 to 4 inches and larger. Hold the female within the folds of a net hed down over a container filled with water from the nurser tank. Gently pull open her lower jaw and immerse her head in the vessel. The young usually swim out into the container without further urging, though gentle shaking may be required to dislodge the last few from there refuge.

Smaller species must be handled differently. The easiest way to dislodge fry is to insert the female head down in an ordinary kitchen baster from which the squeeze bulb has been remove. Replace the bulb and insert the tip of the baster into a container filled with water from the nursery tank. Squeeze the bulb gently several times to fore water back an forth through the females buccal cavity. This fluse the fry into the recieving contaniner' "

Is this how you guys do it? Any other techniques that you guys use. If you do, Please share these with me!

Cody

PS: it also says in The Cichlid Aquarium that the reason to strip is to avoid over parental care, as such. take the fry of the female so that she can eat properly.

Cody if you have never stripped a cichlid before i would not be starting with a cyp.. they have very delicate mouths and it easy to damage them and kill the fish....let them spit into the tank or a fry saver.

Archived