Looking for Multis

Guest MrFabulous

Guest MrFabulous

Hello all,

Can I start by thanking you all very much for the great information contained in the forums and on the pages here. I have now a tank setup (AR-510) which I think is just about right for the little guys. I have some shells, fine argonite substrate, 27C, pH 8.1, and once its completed cycling, and the white clouds are in, I think i'm all set. Please let me know if I'm making any mistakes so far.

I am looking for someone in the sydney or shoalhaven area who has a brood on the way in the next few weeks and is willing to let me buy 4-5 of them, also I wonder if it is possible to sex them when they are young, so as to get the 1:3 male to female ratio right.

Also would it be best to use a buffer, a salt additive or both?

Thanks for all the help and putting up with a cichlid newbie. Its a bit more involved than my 6ft community tank, but I think I'm getting there.

Angus.

hi angus

welcome to the wonderfull world of dwarf shellies, a fine choice for your first adventure, they are a delight to keep. easy to look after, not overly fussy about food and all things being equall they breed quite freely.

if your ph is 8.1, i would'nt worry to much about buffers yet, the argonite sand should hold it for you, if you dont overstock or overfeed, just keep a check on ph between water changes to be sure it dont drop. once the tank has cycled and matured with the use of white clouds, i would dispence them, they can be rather picky and multies will defend their teritorry quite vigorously.against most who venture near, they will live quite happily in their own little world.. i'm sure this will be just the begining of your shellie experience, truely fasinating little fish.

best of luck,regards; colfish.

Wish you were over here in Florida. I have a whole tank full I want to get rid of. Probably 27 or more multis in there, from full adults to fry. sad.gif

Im moving, and dont want to take that tank with me.

I would have a couple of hundred multis, and would be happy to sell some to you. Though this is not exactly the right section to be seeking to purchase fish, I will let the moderators move it if they feel it is required.

I can select out adult fish, and do my best to get the sexes, but no guarantee for the later. $8.00 each.

I am on holidays after today for a bit so if you are interested you will need to phone me on 9541-4195 Menai Sydney. I can answer all your question on the phone if you like.

Craig

With no disrespect to anyone else's N. multifasciatus - I can recommend BaZ. He has had these fish since 1998 (or earlier) and has a colony made from many bloodlines. I've yet to see a single deformed fish come from his tank.

Sadly I bought some from two different sources recently (neither were BaZ's) both were bought at auction about a year ago (I'm not sure who'se stock they were).

One batch has spinal deformities, while the others have an elongated lower jaw bone which protrudes from the back (opercular) end of the jaw downwards.

Make sure you see the adults before you buy!!

Thanks Dave smile.gif

The only trouble with a colony that old is that some of the fish seem to be breeding less as they age.

I'm currently doing a juggling act, trying to inject some younger blood to the colony while still getting some offspring out into the hobby.

If you're on the list for some fry, please bear with me if it takes a little longer than expected wink.gif

Craig -

I wasnt saying anything bad about your multis smile.gif - I was just saying I had seen BaZ's and know they are good quality (and come from a very diverse (for multis)) linneage.

Sadly the ones I bought at the NSWCS all have deformites. Just to sidetrack for a moment I have also bought N. brevis through the NSWCS, these also have spinal problems and heads that point slightly upward from the body. I've seen similar deformities in the occelatus we have in Sydney.

Will post some photos of the deformed brevis, ocellatus & multis at some point.

My advice to anyone interested in this group is simply be careful.

I was aware you were not picking on my fish Yew, as they simply don't have a problem.

I would be interested to see some of the photos you are talking about, as you have mentioned deformities in multis many times in the past, and I have never seen a fish with a problem.

What are you doing buying multis from auction? I have hundreds for sale, at adult sizes unsure.gif , and you could take your pick.

Craig

Craig, to see some deformed multi's take a look in just about any shops tank. I haven't seen good multi's in a store ever. Although I am not as well travelled as some store buffs.

I have a male multi here whose bottom jaw sits at 90 degrees from his top. I don't know where exactly I got him from but its been the only deformity (possibly injury though?) I have seen in the privately bought fish I have.

Craig -

I'm "lucky" dry.gif enough to have at least two deformities in my current stock. I'll be culling all affected fish and I'll get you some pictures of the problems.

A lot of shops can't sell multis, so I haven't sold to a lot of them my fish. I have sold most of mine to Majestic. In the past I have sold fish to Auburn, but of late (last six months) when I have rung them "their tanks are full to capacity" and they have not had room, even for the worlds smallest cichlid!

I will have a closer look at my fish tonight, but I must say, I haven't seen the "90 degree" jaw you are talking about.

Both of you sound as though you need some good stock. I wonder where they could be purchased rolleyes.gif ?

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked my fish, and saw not a single fish in the hundreds I have with an issue as mentioned.

Ducksta, can't say I'm that interested to pick out just a couple of fish when you got fish elsewhere.

Craig

Archived