Fish room help

Canberra Alex

Ok so I’m thinking of digging out some dirt from around the house and building a bigger and better fish room, for those who have seen my current one will know it is not hard to improve on :B

Even though the development will increase my tank space 5 times, the space available is what is making me a little tentative about going ahead.

i have two options, first is 2mx2.5mx2.75mhigh but this will have to have two swinging door endurances, either side of the room facing each other and a walkway between them. Thus reducing floor space.

Pros are: can have tanks 3 high no problems

Cons are: two doorways take up alot of space.

The second is 3mx2.5 but only 1.8m high max. i can’t dig down further because of the house footings, this will only have one sliding door entrance.

Pros are: more floor space and only one door that is sliding

Cons are: even tho the 1.8m ceiling is ok for me as I’m only 1.6m tall but normal (or non height challenged) people may need to duck a little.

the 1.8m ceiling limits the tank rack heights to 2 high.

my questions are:

Although a personal decision which would you choose? and why?

would a better option be to loose half a meter to the footings and have a room with one sliding door entry 3mx2mx2.75high be a better option?

Lastly what are the hidden costs of building a fishroom from scratch?

Thanks

Alex

Sliding doors?

I was leaning towards the same but that said I cant have sliders cause the walls are brick and do not have a cavity

A

You don't need an in-wall cavity for sliding doors.

You'd only have to give up a couple inches of floor space to put runners just inside the wall?

external swinging door would likely be easier though

and for mine, i love the external swinging door. you have a box full of fish in your hands, you want to exit the room and the door is shut. you use your foot to kick it open, too easy! use your foot to slide a door? sounds to difficult heh.

Sliding doors?

I was leaning towards the same but that said I cant have sliders cause the walls are brick and do not have a cavity

A

You don't need an in-wall cavity for sliding doors.

You'd only have to give up a couple inches of floor space to put runners just inside the wall?

What the Duck said :lol1:

Archived