The Big Tank

CThompson

Wow!

Nice to see it still thriving! I still remember your posts from when you first started this years ago. Looks like it has aged gracefully.

Do you ever pull any fish out of there? I would imagine it would be a hard task with all that rockwork.

I could sit infront of that thing for days on end... but for now, ill just keep dreaming. :( "one day Joel, one day..." :8

Thanks for the update.

Cheers

Joel

Very impressive Craig.

What % were born in the tank.

Depends on the species - brichardi 100%, petricola - many (there are a few dozen), the occasional K1 gets away with it - did I mention brichardi? I can't believe that so many of these blighters survive - I must have the only vegetarian calvus in Oz! The K1 took care of them for a bit, but there is a swarm of a few hundred atm that seem to have a free kick to life - why in heck don't the petricola knock em off at night (pathetic predators!).

Do you ever pull any fish out of there? I would imagine it would be a hard task with all that rockwork.

Depends on the species, some I can, some I *&^# can't. I've left the strainer off the overflow box as the occasional brichardi goes in (did I mention I have brichardi?) and from there I can catch them out. I have several different traps, but the petricola treat them like and all you can eat dinner with a revolving door. Where as other fish go in and can't get out, the petricola treat it like a jungle gym with a neon sign saying "this way out". In and out in and out - clever little buggers. So basically traps don't work without food.

yep those brichardi are nasty from day one! I had a 6x2x2 with around 100 brichardi (started with a pair) and 6 frontosa, now you would think in one night 6 frontosa all 15cm-30cm would take care of the brichardi problem, but they never did.

In the end i added a pair of L. elongatus and i was back to around 20 brichardi in 2 months.

yep those brichardi are nasty from day one! I had a 6x2x2 with around 100 brichardi (started with a pair) and 6 frontosa, now you would think in one night 6 frontosa all 15cm-30cm would take care of the brichardi problem, but they never did.

In the end i added a pair of L. elongatus and i was back to around 20 brichardi in 2 months.

Problem is, I still like the brichardi. They can be very aggressive, but my 500 or so are pretty mellow. There is currently a HUGE swam of babies that I just can't understand how they survive with all fish and their friends swimming through the school of young without even a look at the young.

On the up side, I saw a baby orange leleupi about 2cm on the weekend, I thought all the adults were all the one sex. Clearly they are not.

Is that Lamprologus elongatus efc01?

I had considered frontosa as a way to reduce the brichardi in the past, just as well I didn't.

I might look into the elongatus though.

Just did - do they grow to 12.5"??? What won't it eat? It will be able to eat nearly everything in the tank. Perhaps it's an issue of only keeping smaller individuals, but with a tank of this size, there is no guarantee I could catch it out and swap it for a smaller model....

Anyone got any elongatus for sale?

Craig

what about Kendalli or Nkambae (black kendalli)

Chris

6.5" is a better size Chris, thanks for the suggestion.

I assume they are here otherwise you wouldn't make the suggestion. Do you know where they are available?

Do you have any other suggestions for brichardi snackers?

Craig

go the kendalli mate they are stunning fish and not common enough in the hobby.

I no longer have the elongatus as they died of old age, only spawned once for me in 6 years. They laid what looked like 1000+ eggs and after a few days all become rotten and covered in fungus. They never tried again

Craig

Kendalli are around try Paul Talbot he had some available online

but might do something for you if you have a chat with him

Nkambae are super hard to find but I think they are nicer pattern

Trets will predate fry and snails, they never pass a crevice without looking

Sexfaciatus is another to consider Kev has fry of them

Chris

• 1 month later...
what species is the big blue guy in the top left hand corner of the 2nd photo?

Cyprichromis leptosoma "Kitumba".

Males come in a number of different colours and the colours may change as they grow. The reason I like Kitumba, well one reason, is you have one locality but multiple colours in the boys. .Unlike many other fish from a particular locality which lock you into one colour per tank due to issues with crossings, these fish not only have more than one colour males, they also have a colour called "marmalade" which can be as individual as a finger print for each fish - then this colour can evolve and change as they mature.

Kitumba are reputed to be one of the most if not the most aggressive Cyprichromis variety. In a tank the size they are in in the photos, this aggression becomes interesting behaviour, with flaring and flashing and posturing with mock fights, which when done, they are done and the weaker fish goes off and is further ignored by the stronger fish. This "conflict" may start up again but only with mutual consent. In too small a tank this behaviour can mean the death of the sub dominant fish, so if you are considering keeping them, don't think minimum sized tanks, but the maximum size you can afford to buy or house the fish if you already have the tank, then decide if they are the fish for you. Having said that, they are one of the most colourful and interesting fish I have ever kept.

Craig

only just recently started getting into tangs.. i love them!

they have rekindled my interests in the hobby

they are very difficult to find tho

you've obvisouly got a good supplier over there

lucky bugger

Archived