Aqua Munch fish food

couchy

• 1 year later...

Rehashing old thread. How as the food been since you started using it. Or have you all moved onto something different? I have about a weeks worth of current stock so iw ill be looking for new food very soon.

it seems very cheap but my experience is that the cost of making virutally any fish food is effectively next to nothing and the price point is based on a brand position rather than quality.

Cheap foods are typically cheap due to the cost of the raw ingredients. Compare the cost per ton for a low cost generic fish meal, to that of a premium grade of Herring meal, and you'll soon find out why some foods cost more than others. Antarctic krill costs twice as much as Pacific krill, and 3-4 times as much as shrimp meal. Protein derived from terrestrial plant matter (such as soybean meal) costs a fraction of the $$ compared to protein derived from marine animals, such as fish, krill, etc. That doesn't even begin to touch upon the micro & macro nutrients added to a premium food.

No doubt better quality ingredients = more cost to production.

However in the case of premium imported foods in the AU market we are paying a bigger premium for foods to be shipped across the globe and import fee's etc etc. than we are for the raw ingredient.

I can see how in other regions they have to look harder and farther for the best quality ingredients. But we have these resources on our doorstep.

It is easy to see how for some people it seems crazy to pay upwards of $50/kg for a pet food, regardless of whether it is made up of high quality whole ingredients. We can pop over to the local fish market or even a generic/chain supermarket (!) and get basically those same high quality whole ingredients for a pittance. Whole south pacific 'shrimp' under $25/kg retail, whole herring (clean water. ie. non asian imports) under $12/kg retail!

It is great to see someone using our local high quality, clean, ingredients and getting the processing done here which means we have fresher product available (no international shipping, quarantine, delays etc) without the inflated costs of importing.

I personally haven't used this food. I have no (known) connection with the company or anyone involved.

If it comes to be though that fishmunch is primarily made up of $10/tonne tilapia offal from SE Asian fish farms I wont be impressed.

But I think it is a great thing if our prime Australian resources are being used to create a product priced well for Australian consumers.

Whether this food is as good as existing 'market leaders' (in the quality stakes, not sales volume) is yet to be seen but if nobody gave new products a whirl, market leaders would still be made up of big companies making foods with 50% corn meal.

I have been using the Aquamunch food for a couple of months. I have stopped using it for my adult colonies of Geophagus sp. "Orangehead", Aulonocara stuartgranti "Maleri Gold" and electric yellows because I noticed the number of fry per mouthful and the total number of females holding was lower when adding Aquamunch to the mix of pellets I feed, compared to the previous several months when I had been feeding only Hikari and NLS pellets as the staple food. I know it is not a scientific result (I'm a PhD candidate) but I'm more confident about using Hikari/NLS for my breeding adults, and therefore prepared to pay the extra money. That said, I still use the Aquamunch to bulk up some of the pellet mixes I feed to juveniles or to fish which I'm not concerned about breeding or increasing growth rates for.

I have been using aquamunch for over 12 months now and for value for money you cant beat it in my opinion. My colony of yellows breed consistantly every 4-6 weeks and I get mouth fulls ranging from 16-30 every time. Havent seen any coniderable changes since changing from NLS.

Archived