BN in Pond

boydie

hey all,i have a large teracotta pot i use as a pond and have guppies and swordtails in, that i use as feeder fish.would it be possible to house bn in a pond like this???

what are your thoughts

cheers boydie

only during summer as they like warmer water...

More likely to be too hot in summer, than too cold in winter, in Cairns... :lol4:

I understand there are plenty of South American catfish bred outdoors all year round in your neck of the woods.

its fairly shaded so i think i maybe ok but yes heat is an issue

if you beleve that the temp will get much lower and or higher than 26deg for a long periods at a time why would you put them through that stress?

if you beleive that they will keep your pot clean your wrong

the veg's will turn your water bad faster!

if your after algae control go for snails?

but if you want to know if they will stay alive the answer is yes but they will be stressed!

if you beleve that the temp will get much lower and or higher than 26deg for a long periods at a time why would you put them through that stress?

if you beleive that they will keep your pot clean your wrong

the veg's will turn your water bad faster!

if your after algae control go for snails?

but if you want to know if they will stay alive the answer is yes but they will be stressed!

In my experience (in Darwin) with no heater required for almost all the year, all sorts of fish thrived when water temps were continually around 29-30, guppies, Angels, Cory cats, tetras, gold fish..... Not all in the same tank or pond. The key is not to overstock. In the wild, you would find it difficult NOT to get conditions where the " temp will get much lower and or higher than 26deg for a long periods at a time".

I had great sucess with a huge terracotta pot as a guppy pond for a long time.

Go for the B.N.

Mosquito fish , which are closly related to Guppies survive in the creeks in and around Adelaide with temps dropping into single figures and rising to mid 40s, maybe we underestimate the toughness of some species of fish.

I would also say give the BN a try.

Sorry Batty but mosquito fish /Gambusia are not silimar to guppies apart from appearance. They are able to deal with just about anything. Guppys are much more sensitive.

But in saying that any guppy/ most tropical fish would probably survive in Cairns including BN's. Especially in a shady spot.

Sorry Batty but mosquito fish /Gambusia are not silimar to guppies apart from appearance. They are able to deal with just about anything. Guppys are much more sensitive.

But in saying that any guppy/ most tropical fish would probably survive in Cairns including BN's. Especially in a shady spot.

Umm OK sorry :B

They will be fine providing temperature remains above 20C or so; if it does drop below it should be for short periods.

Fish are alot tougher then we give them credit for, 24/26/28C are all temperatures that we keep our fish at believing they need these temperatures for survival, however what is more important is that whatever temperature the fish are at stays stable or fluctuates very slowly to allow them to adapt to any changes.

Native water bodies in places such as the amazon experiance huge fluctuations throughout the year, these changes are often slow allowing time for adaptation.

:confused: If we are talking about stress,,,

Then it will be the heat that would get to them

But as said lg pot( size would help) used as pond so temp will be lower than peck temp at daytime.

In the shade, that helps in summer

And the guppies & swords are ok so why would the B/nose be stress????

Yes we do underestimate how tough they can be.

Fast temp changes are a problem not slow temp changes over hours/ days as would be the case here.

:confused: If we are talking about stress,,,

Then it will be the heat that would get to them

But as said lg pot( size would help) used as pond so temp will be lower than peck temp at daytime.

In the shade, that helps in summer

And the guppies & swords are ok so why would the B/nose be stress????

Yes we do underestimate how tough they can be.

Fast temp changes are a problem not slow temp changes over hours/ days as would be the case here.

just had a look at this post,as i ve been busy.

PLEASE LET ME STRESS I WOULD NEVER PUT ANT OF MY FISH WHERE THEY SHOULDNT BE....

i agree with dobbin4.

i just thought abouut putting a few bn in a pond, as ive too bloody many. :lol4:

cheers boydie

I was on holidays in Port Douglas last year and was looking at an outdoor pond in an arcade outside woolworths in the main street and noticed hundreds of BN's swimming around in there and they were obviously comfortable enough in there to breed as they were of all different sizes.

So you wont be the first person in Nth Queensland to try it!!

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Damo

Archived